wireless works , internet doesn't (on laptop)

emosun

ok I know I've had this issue years ago but I simply don't remember how I fixed it.

my wireless network works fine for mobile devices and a desktop machine. however my laptop will just connect to the network , but can't access the internet even though it says it has internet connectivity. I tried pinging some websites but they failed so it's not a speed issue.

I feel like when I fixed this years ago it had somthing to do with some sort of setting in the adapter itself but can't rememeber how to do it. 

Does your laptop have one of those wireless disable buttons on the FN array? 

i.e. hold the FN key,  tap the wireless looking button

The wireless isn't disabled as the system connects to the network just fine , it has to do with whatever setting allows access to the internet. 

Are you using DHCP (where the router will automatically give you an IP address, DNS, etc?). If you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all, what do you get?

Go to cmd and type ipconfig

If your ip address comes up with a 169.x.x.x address, then you have problems communicating to your DHCP. Just go to your adapter settings and manually set your IP (IPv4)

Current Build

Successful Builds

Spoiler
Spoiler

what am i specifically looking for in ipconfig?

On 8/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, emosun said:

what am i specifically looking for in ipconfig?

DNS Servers, DHCP Enabled,  and Default Gateway mostly. If you type tracert 216.58.194.46, what happens? Can you run tracert to the IP address in your DNS Server, if you have one?

sorry to not update I figured out the problem yesterday via some help at level1tech

essentially the laptop had an old install of cyberghost that had locked the connection closed after an unexpected system shutdown , I simply opened the program and unlocked the connection and it works fine now. lol