Hello, I am looking to upgrade my CPU but I am completely stuck with what I want to do. I currently have a 5820k overclocked to 4.2ghz with a 1080ti and 32gb of 2133mhz ram. I mainly use the computer for video games, but I also run game servers from time to time, do light 3d modeling and editing, and dabble in pretty much anything.

I realize my usage doesn't really quantify a 6 core processor which is why I'm heavily leaning towards the 7700k for the much faster core clocks. The issue is, I am considering doing SLI with my 1080ti and purchasing an hdr 4k monitor towards the end of the year. So, I want to make my purchase now with 4k in mind (currently, I play in 2k and I do realize I am under utilizing my 1080ti). I've heard that ryzen is much better for 4k gaming but all of the benchmarks I have seen show the 1800x and the 7700k neck and neck when it comes to 4k gaming.

Any constructive opinions on 7700k vs 1800x would be appreciated. I am also more than open to other ideas on what might work best. I appreciate any help, thank you!

7700K if you want max gaming fps but 1800x if you want better multithreading for professional workloads. Alternatively you can get an intel chip with lots of cores too if you really need that single threaded performance. Just depends how much you wanna spend.

your 5820k is more than capable for your needs

thats what my friend is using for MAYA game designing + gaming when hes not working (also at 1440p)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

7 minutes ago, mattias1172 said:

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my CPU but I am completely stuck with what I want to do. I currently have a 5820k overclocked to 4.2ghz with a 1080ti and 32gb of 2133mhz ram. I mainly use the computer for video games, but I also run game servers from time to time, do light 3d modeling and editing, and dabble in pretty much anything.

I realize my usage doesn't really quantify a 6 core processor which is why I'm heavily leaning towards the 7700k for the much faster core clocks. The issue is, I am considering doing SLI with my 1080ti and purchasing an hdr 4k monitor towards the end of the year. So, I want to make my purchase now with 4k in mind (currently, I play in 2k and I do realize I am under utilizing my 1080ti). I've heard that ryzen is much better for 4k gaming but all of the benchmarks I have seen show the 1800x and the 7700k neck and neck when it comes to 4k gaming.

Any constructive opinions on 7700k vs 1800x would be appreciated. I am also more than open to other ideas on what might work best. I appreciate any help, thank you!

Please remove format from your text next time because users in night theme mode cant see your text. To remove format select your text and press the T with a small x next to it

6 minutes ago, mok said:

your 5820k is more than capable for your needs

thats what my friend is using for MAYA game designing + gaming when hes not working (also at 1440p)

The single core performance is lacking though. In games like Stellaris that use only one core, even with a 1080ti, I get no more than 20fps at low settings. I don't think I need the 6 cores for my workload and my thought process is to sell the chip now before its value is horribly low. I can almost pay for the 7700k upgrade with just the money from selling the 5820k. I do get where you're coming from though, that's why I still have the 5820k that I bought at launch. 

I would actually recommend a 1700. If your comfortable with overclocking you can overclock it to 1800x performance. You could take the savings and put it somewhere else in your build. I do t think the 1800x comes with a cooler but the 1700 does. The Wraith spire which comes with the 1700 can handle a modest overclock. Also you can get a cheaper Mobo with Ryzen and still get decent features.