New Hard Drive with Slow Speed

Jennadi

I recently got a Seagate FireCuda 2Tb Gaming SSHD.

But I've noticed the transfer speeds are slow, like unusually slow.

I purchased this drive brand new from Newegg about a week and a half ago.

I ran Crystal Disk Mark 10 times at different space intervals to average the results.

All numbers are in MB/s

Settings for the first 5 tests: 5 seconds interval timing, random data, 1 Gb

Read                                                 |        Write

Seq Q32T1:    138.42                       |        Seq Q32T1:   110.36

4K Q32T1:       1.3248                      |         4K Q32T1:  0.3762

Seq:         134.42                              |         Seq:  118.5

4K:         0.8314                                |         4K:   0.722

Settings for tests 6-10: 5 seconds interval timing, random data, 500 MiB

Read                                                 |        Write

Seq Q32T1:  138.2                           |        Seq Q32T1:   109.18

4K Q32T1:     1.396                          |         4K Q32T1:  1.5408

Seq:         133.84                              |         Seq:  118.7

4K:           1.3914                              |         4K:   1.032

I would have ran the 100 and 50 MiB settings, but I ran out out time.

If you would like the spreadsheet or more information, let me know.

So, is this normal for a brand new drive?

What are the advertised speeds for that drive?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

25 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What are the advertised speeds for that drive?

The datasheet on Seagate's website says 140 MB/s

I should add that when moving a 1 Gb .rar file, it goes at ~150-200 MB/s for the first few seconds then drops down to less than 10 MB/s and stays there.

Edited by Jennadi
Additional information

That seems about right?

SSHDs have a small amount of flash storage that learns your most accessed files(usually OS files) and places them in that area for faster access. All the other files stay in the platters. Every time you run a benchmark, it measures the transfer speed of the mechanical disks. In other words, if you really want fast access for everything, get a real SSD.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Ok,  I  wasn't sure if it was normal, since yesterday, I moved multiple 1 Gb files over to it (Not all at once)and sometimes it crawled at under 10 MB/s , sometimes it flew past at 300 MB/s, and other times it did a combination of the two.

This isn't an external hard drive operating over USB 3.0. It's an internal drive operating over Sata 6 GB/s.

So, that's normal, right? I didn't have the money for a full out SSD, so I went with the middle ground. I think the HDD is 5400 Rpm . Might that have something to do with it?

On 8/16/2017 at 7:56 PM, Jennadi said:

The datasheet on Seagate's website says 140 MB/s

I should add that when moving a 1 Gb .rar file, it goes at ~150-200 MB/s for the first few seconds then drops down to less than 10 MB/s and stays there.

23 hours ago, Jennadi said:

Ok,  I  wasn't sure if it was normal, since yesterday, I moved multiple 1 Gb files over to it (Not all at once)and sometimes it crawled at under 10 MB/s , sometimes it flew past at 300 MB/s, and other times it did a combination of the two.

This isn't an external hard drive operating over USB 3.0. It's an internal drive operating over Sata 6 GB/s.

So, that's normal, right? I didn't have the money for a full out SSD, so I went with the middle ground. I think the HDD is 5400 Rpm . Might that have something to do with it?

FireCuda with a 2TB capacity comes in two different form factors, 2.5" (model ST2000LX001) and 3.5" (model ST2000DX002). The 2.5" version has a spinning platter speed of 5400 RPM, the 3.5" has 7200 RPM. We can't say for sure without knowing the model number, but where you said you saw a data sheet that said 140 MB/s transfer speed, it appears you have the 2.5" model, and the spec sheet says up to 140 MB/s. Here is the spec sheet for the 3.5" as well. The 5400 RPM would be slower than the 7200 RPM, 2.5" drives are often 5400 RPM laptop drives.

If you'd like, for the sake of being thorough, to check that your drive is healthy, you can download our free diagnostic tool SeaTools here.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

5 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

FireCuda with a 2TB capacity comes in two different form factors, 2.5" (model ST2000LX001) and 3.5" (model ST2000DX002). The 2.5" version has a spinning platter speed of 5400 RPM, the 3.5" has 7200 RPM. We can't say for sure without knowing the model number, but where you said you saw a data sheet that said 140 MB/s transfer speed, it appears you have the 2.5" model, and the spec sheet says up to 140 MB/s. Here is the spec sheet for the 3.5" as well. The 5400 RPM would be slower than the 7200 RPM, 2.5" drives are often 5400 RPM laptop drives.

If you'd like, for the sake of being thorough, to check that your drive is healthy, you can download our free diagnostic tool SeaTools here.

I have the 2.5" model. I ran SeaTools and the smart test came back as 100% And it passed the Short Drive Test with 100%...Though as I researched more into this, I found it may be caused by a BIOS setting, so I'll check that and give an update.

Update: The BIOS setting did absolutely nothing, It actually prevented me from booting into windows.

I went from UEFI to Legacy.

And an addition, sometimes the transfer speeds won't go above 5 MB/s,and sometimes not even above 3MB/s..This is transferring internally from an M.2 SSD to said SSHD, not USB 1.0...This is a new computer too, the Acer Predator Helios 300. I have quite  a fair amount of large files to transfer over it from my old computer, such as games and Virtual Machines..I have one that's 42 GB in size...I attempted to copy that to this drive..I canceled it after a half hour. And installing games? Fallout 3 says over 3 hours...(I have Fallout 4 as well, I like the older titles too.)

Second update: I tried taking the drive out and using a SATA to USB Adapter and that did absolutely nothing.