(UPDATED) Techradar using biased graphing techniques in AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X review

Nytohan

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x

The graphs for FPS measurements in TechRadar's review are garbage.

A few of the images used in their review are fine, (Tomb raider@1440, Total war@1080)

But then there's Total War at 2160, where the two CPUs were 1 fps apart:

TotalWar2160.jpg.75d50bd0d06dfccf7dd6ec3d37e6ebbc.jpg

This is extremely misleading, seems to imply that the i9-7900x performs ~3x better than the threadripper, when in fact this entire graph exists within what LMG would consider a margin of error.

More graphs below.

UPDATE: TechRadar has updated their performance graphs to all start at 0.

TombRaider4k.jpg

TombRaider1080.jpg

TombRaider1440.jpg

TotalWar1080.jpg

TotalWar1440.jpg

Wow... that's.... that's retarded.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

That is INCREDIBLY misleading. Those are terrible charts. When I initially saw them (from your post), I was like, "wow threadripper really sucks". Then, I looked at the key. :|. By putting the value at the end of the bar, one would think that the physical length of the bar represents all of that value.

Just now, Navbryce said:

That is INCREDIBLY misleading. Those are terrible charts. When I initially saw them (from your post), I was like, wow threadripper really sucks. Then, I looked at the key. :|

Yep. I know where I'm not going for reviews.

lol, i scroll wheeled down and it landed on the TR 1440p and I was... that's not a bad scale.... then I looked up at the TR 1080...... Why!

Looking at how varied the units are, they probably just slapped some values into Excel and let it auto format the axis. Put into a chart with a starting value of 0, a lot of them would show a performance difference of 10-15%, which is what the story should be. I didn't look at the original article to see what their conclusions were.

32 minutes ago, CasualGamerCC said:

Looking at how varied the units are, they probably just slapped some values into Excel and let it auto format the axis. Put into a chart with a starting value of 0, a lot of them would show a performance difference of 10-15%, which is what the story should be. I didn't look at the original article to see what their conclusions were.

That sounds plausible, and we should probably attribute this to stupidity over malice, but it is at a minimum a huge oversight. It gives casual observers the idea that a minor difference in performance which is within the margin of error is in fact a noteworthy gap that should seriously impact your buying decision.

Also, looks like it's been fixed!