Upgrading from Iphone 4s to Galaxy S8

HeyKitty

Tomorrow my new phone comes in....

finally upgrading from the Iphone 4S to the SG S8

I know NOTHING about Android....

What are some "must haves"?

Also, bloatware... How can I uninstall the crap I don't want?  is there an option?

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

Well, most "must have" apps are usually already installed, although you may not be satisfied with the default ones. I can recommend Firefox and Chrome as browsers, VLC as a media player, MS Office apps for documents (I find them better than the other free office apps, especially since it has no advertisements and doesn't require an internet connection), Keepass2 for password storage, Orbot for anonimous browsing (within tor limits), Perfect Viewer for eComics.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Some of the bloatware can be uninstalled pretty easily, other stuff will be harder.  But almost everything (including most of the Google spyware services) can be disabled just fine

I'm writing down the steps on my work's Galaxy J3, the S8 may differ slightly :

Settings -> Applications -> Application Manager -> select the app you want to block and you'll see a screen where you can force-stop it, disable it, uninstall the updates, clear the cache/data, decide if the app is allowed to show notifications in your status bar etc.

598259c6db2df_Disableapps.jpg.9ec1f2922c9462237d08007219012c04.jpg

You're going to spend quite a bit of time experimenting with all the settings and tweaking them. Android is extremely customizable so it should be possible to get it to work almost exactly like you want it to. 

As for apps, on my personal phone (a Galaxy S7) I really like :

- Aldiko : IMO one of the best ebook reader apps. Uses the feedbook store, where you can buy a lot of books but also download plenty of free and public domain ones.  You can also import your own ebooks that you bought or "borrowed" elsewhere.

- Firefox

- Keep Screen On! : small utility that allows you to disable the screen timeout behavior at the push of a homescreen widget.  Great for when you need to keep the screen on for an extended period of time (for example while compiling a list of your favourite apps, or going through a shopping list).

- Soundhound : good at identifying songs.

- Weather & Clock Widget : I just prefer the looks over the stock clock and weather apps.  Extremely customizable.  I gave mine a transparent background, increased the clock size etc.

59826b84607d1_j3weatherwidget2.jpg.416bea69f02bb94fff965eb248eac82e.jpg

Sorry for the bad image quality, this photo was taken with the J3.  Budget phone -> bad camera -> bad pics in dimly lit rooms

You can change the date format etc however you like, we just happen to put the day before the month here.

I use the Shadow Galaxy live wallpaper.  IMO one of the best looking live wallpapers out there.  A lot of wallpapers (static as well as live wallpapers) don't always look right depending on how you have your homescreens set up in terms of icon and widget layout, but this one looks good and works with everything.  Haven't noticed much battery drain compared to a regular wallpaper.