PC Upgrade "kit"?

Go to solution Solved by Rekx,

Kit one would proberly be the best. You're CPU is not that bad considring how old it is :-)

SSD = awesoneness. If i was you i wouldn't go with the HAF. case. You would be better off with a fractal case (arc midi)

Hello Tech Tip forum! This is my first post here, so please bear with me if I make any mistakes.

Anyway, I was looking to upgrade my PC, and what better time than Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

This PC is primarily for gaming. I play games like TF2 (competitively!), BF4, Planetside 2, War Thunder. Splinter Cell Blacklist. As you can see, I have some demanding games here. Usually on most of these games, my CPU stays at 80%-100% load (except TF2 of course.)

My build so far is:

Gigabyte GTX 760 (GPU)

Asus M4N68T-M V2 (Mobo)

AMD Phenom II x4 965 (CPU)

Corsair H55 (CPU Cooler)

DVD Burner/reader, the standard

Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI (HDD)

Some PCI-E Wifi Adapter that doesn't fit in my Mobo

SeaSonic M12II 620w (PSU)

Raidmax Typhoon (Case)

Samsung 20' Monitor (1600x900)

Logitech K120 (Keyboard)

Logitech G400s (Mouse)

My budget would be around $350. All of the prices are gathered from Newegg unless specified.

What I was thinking would be one of these "kits":

KIT 1

• ASUS Sabertooth 990FX V2 ($180 for Black Friday) [Mobo]
  • Cooler Master HAF912 ($50 after rebate @Microcenter) [Case]
  • Samsung EVO 120 gig ($90 for Black Friday) [sSD]
  • Final cost-$330 (After rebate-$320)
  • Pros- Under budget, good Mobo, get to overclock my current CPU
  • Cons- New CPU needs to be bought afterwards

KIT 2

• ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ($130 after rebate) [Mobo]
  • AMD FX-8350 ($200 for Black Friday) [CPU]
  • Newegg is offering a combo for Black Friday for these two. ^
  • Rosewill Galaxy 01 ($40 after rebate)
  • Final cost- $361 (After rebate-$340)
  • Pros- Most performance boost, sick case w/ USB 3.0
  • Cons- No SSD, temporarily over budget

These are 2 kits I have come up with based on observations of my case being too small to fit my H55 and my computer's CPU maxing out on games. Which would be better?

Any suggestions, criticism, or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and thank you for commenting in advance!

I think i would go with kit 1

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

Kit one would proberly be the best. You're CPU is not that bad considring how old it is :-)

SSD = awesoneness. If i was you i wouldn't go with the HAF. case. You would be better off with a fractal case (arc midi)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Says it's discontinued. Any other cases for like $40?

IF you can find a fractal arc midi or a Corsair case you would be better off with one of them

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

kit two but with a 8320 its so much cheaper and turbo clock is only 0.2Ghz away. and most of the time when you need the horse power is when turbo clock kicks in. 

IF you can find a fractal arc midi or a Corsair case you would be better off with one of them

Alright, I'll try. Thanks.

Alright, I'll try. Thanks.

Np :-)

I ended up getting the Corsair C70 in Military Green to match my Mobo. Epicness! Newegg is processing my order as we speak.

I ended up getting the Corsair C70 in Military Green to match my Mobo. Epicness! Newegg is processing my order as we speak.

Here is my kit 3:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.95 @ Adorama)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Microcenter)

Total: $354.91

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 06:50 EST-0500)

i'd recommend kit 2.

"more performance" - why decline it?

better to spend more now, then double it in the future cause you didn't fork it out now.

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Linus Used it to test water cooling in :-) so room there should be alot of.

Plus you can never go wrong with Corsair

I ended up getting Kit 1, seeing as all I'm missing is a CPU which I will get soon anyway. The Sabertooth comes with a free G SKILL 4gb ram at 1600. This is my question:

Where should I place my RAM relative to the Sabertooth? I have 2x4GB at 1333 and 1x8GB at 1333, so the G SKILL with be the 4th stick, but its a different speed than all the others? So should I put the 2x4GB sticks in the "tan" slots, the the G SKILL and the 1x8GB in the "brown" slot? Here is a pic of the Sabertooth http://puu.sh/5ygmU.jpg

Figured out everything! System is running frosty and fast. Thanks guys!