temps while overclocking ryzen in node 202

Elerek

I've got a friend whose planning to update his system with am4 and a 1600 and shrink his build down to a node202 for travelling.

He wants to be able to hit 4ghz though for gaming and is concerned that he may not be able to keep temps under control.

Anyone have experience with ryzen oc in the 202? Can the cryorig c7 of noctua l9i with an extra 120mm slim fan or l9x65 handle the load for that?

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

18 minutes ago, Elerek said:

I've got a friend whose planning to update his system with am4 and a 1600 and shrink his build down to a node202 for travelling.

He wants to be able to hit 4ghz though for gaming and is concerned that he may not be able to keep temps under control.

Anyone have experience with ryzen oc in the 202? Can the cryorig c7 of noctua l9i with an extra 120mm slim fan or l9x65 handle the load for that?

while i don't actually have any experiance, i should think that if he does manage to hit 4ghz (not guaranteed), he'd be better of with an aio in such a small case. While it will take a very small bit of modding, it will significantly improove temps. If not, get any small form factor heatsink with a noctua fan, prefferably.

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

24 minutes ago, Fluffybakon said:

while i don't actually have any experiance, i should think that if he does manage to hit 4ghz (not guaranteed), he'd be better of with an aio in such a small case. While it will take a very small bit of modding, it will significantly improove temps. If not, get any small form factor heatsink with a noctua fan, prefferably.

he's got a full length 1080, an AIO isn't happening.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

1 hour ago, Elerek said:

The stock R7 1600 cpu cooler is 70mm tall with a fan. The Node 202 limit is 56mm.

I would suggest considering a different case. Something like http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01&area=en&top=C might work.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

12 minutes ago, brob said:

The stock R7 1600 cpu cooler is 70mm tall with a fan. The Node 202 limit is 56mm.

I would suggest considering a different case. Something like http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01&area=en&top=C might work.

Did you read the whole post? I'm not asking about the stock cooler. I specifically listed 2 different low profile noctua coolers and the cryorig c7.

Just now, Elerek said:

Did you read the whole post? I'm not asking about the stock cooler. I specifically listed 2 different low profile noctua coolers and the cryorig c7.

Sorry, I got distracted in the middle of reading.

I suspect the Cryorig C7 would be the better choice. It should be able to allow for a bit of overclocking. Noctua suggests the L9i is not suitable for overclocking. But check for motherboard compatibility before committing.

The Node 202 is crowded. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

How about going with a Silverstone RVZ01 (not the E version). That thing is made to fit a 240mm custom loop and it's about as small as the node 202 with ~14l volume. You'd have to be careful with choosing components but the manual gives some advices on component sizes.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!