Cloud or Local storage?

Vishvas Sudarshan

So I have a bunch of files comprising of archives of photos and videos, numerous Office files (Excel, Word...) and lots of other stuff that sums up to around 100GB. 

The previous year, all these were in OneDrive, and everything worked fine, now I'm unable to renew my subscription and spent weeks trying to fix the payment issue, but in vain. 

So I was wondering, why not take everything offline, And RAID 1, or backup everything?

Is this a good idea? or should I still go for the cloud?

Thanks! :)

2 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

For storage over that level I like to use local storage because I haev control of my data and do not pay a monthly subscription fee. 

two 1TB drives in a RAID 1 tucked away in a closet connected to ethernet would work just fine. 

Okay, what about just putting the drives in my PC and running software RAID? 

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

we'll I mean, that would work. The problem is you wouldn't have 24/7 access to your data like cloud storage. 

That's totally fine, I can keep my 'working data' in the cloud using a free subscription I have, and the rest in my PC!

So how do I get started?

Currently I have 2 500GB Laptop HDDs in my PC, I thought I could buy a 1 TB HDD, move all the data from the two HDDs to the 1TB and use this as my main storage. Then I can RAID 1 the two 500GBs for archives and important data. Sounds good?