Thinking of buying Refurbished or Used PS3

Go to solution Solved by You_are_a_cunt,

Once you factor in the price for a replacement drive you're basically in the slim/super slim pricerange.

Get the slim or superslim and slap on an external HDD later on

I have been thinking for sometime and I am thinking of buying myself a ps3 again just to play old games. Is it worth the price? Should I get 40gb fat ps3 and then just change the hdd or get the high capacity right away? (80gb+ size are only available in slim and super slim). Price of console is around $60 (40gb model fat) to around $100 ish (for slim and super slim model). I don't emulate RPCS3 because I own a regular ultrabook for my college work and other work. I own ps4 console btw . Thanks for advices.

Old Games I that want to play (PS3)

-Nier

-Drakengard series (Maybe)

-MGS collection

-MGS 4

-Demon's Souls

-Ninja Gaiden (Maybe)

Some old ps2 games like omnimusha etc.

Edited by Andrew.Phourcheu

Once you factor in the price for a replacement drive you're basically in the slim/super slim pricerange.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

5 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

can i use an external (usb) HDD on a PS3 to store games on that i bought from PSN ? never knew this was a thing

i ask because i have a 40gb fat with a busted optical drive (got it free and had no PS3 discs anyway so PSN is all i care for)

and as you can imagine i am running low on HDD space

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

can i use an external (usb) HDD on a PS3 to store games on that i bought from PSN ? never knew this was a thing

i ask because i have a 40gb fat with a busted optical drive (got it free and had no PS3 discs anyway so PSN is all i care for)

and as you can imagine i am running low on HDD space

Well, you technically can and can't. IYKWIM.

If it's jailbroken, you can. if it's not, then you can't.

Since you mentioned PSN, I assume you don't want it jailbroken.

Why not just get a replacement ODD and a larger drive if you already have one?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

14 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Well, you technically can and can't. IYKWIM.

If it's jailbroken, you can. if it's not, then you can't.

Since you mentioned PSN, I assume you don't want it jailbroken.

Why not just get a replacement ODD and a larger drive if you already have one?

your assumption is correct - it is not jailbroken yet

i considered a replacement ODD when i got the console, but the only drives i could find at that time would cost me like 60 bucks ... that has now dropped to 30 so this is not a big issue any more ... but then i would have no excuse not to start building a collection of physical releases :D 

i already collect for so many other systems

i totally plan to upgrade the HDD to a larger one - i have an old 160 gb WD black i plan to use for that but i currently need it as a bootdrive for a computer.

i will upgrade the PS3 HDD if i have money to burn on a SSD for this computer (the computer is in my workshop so it has rather low upgrade priority)

32 minutes ago, Himommies said:

PS Now?

I have check it before I post this post, So far only able to find Ninja gaiden series

27 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Mmm you might be right. Would be a good idea if I were to jailbreak my ps3?

Just now, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

i guess if you are not into homebrew and just wanna play some legit games probably not.

1 hour ago, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

Jailbreaking doesn't let you access the PSN afaik and if you do there's the odd chance of Sony pulling a Sony and locking your console/account

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

3 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

i guess if you are not into homebrew and just wanna play some legit games probably not.

2 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Jailbreaking doesn't let you access the PSN afaik and if you do there's the odd chance of Sony pulling a Sony and locking your console/account

That's good to hear. Thanks. I will wait to see whether there will be some sort of sales or not toward the console itself. 

Keep in mind that there's only a few models of PS3's that support PS2 games. The original 20/60GB models have 99.9% PS2 support (I believe there's a couple of games that don't work), with the major differences between these models being WiFi and SD/Compact Flash/Memory Stick ports on the 60GB. There also was a 80GB MGS4 model that removed the PS2 CPU and as a result, it's not as good in regards to PS2 BC.

Everything past the 40GB PS3 won't play PS2 games. However, all PS3 models will play PS1 games.

Also, the earlier model PS3's, while nice to have, have a higher failure rate due to the YLOD. It's similar to the 360's RROD, so keep that in mind if you're looking to go that route.

On 7/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

I have been thinking for sometime and I am thinking of buying myself a ps3 again just to play old games. Is it worth the price? Should I get 40gb fat ps3 and then just change the hdd or get the high capacity right away? (80gb+ size are only available in slim and super slim). Price of console is around $60 (40gb model fat) to around $100 ish (for slim and super slim model). I don't emulate RPCS3 because I own a regular ultrabook for my college work and other work. I own ps4 console btw . Thanks for advices.

Old Games I that want to play (PS3)

-Nier

-Drakengard series (Maybe)

-MGS collection

-MGS 4

-Demon's Souls

-Ninja Gaiden (Maybe)

Some old ps2 games like omnimusha etc.

There are actually fats that come with bigger hard drives than 80 GB. I have a PS3 fat that came with 160GB. Even that's not enough to hold all the digital games I have bought though. One of the annoying things about PS3 is that you need more than double the free hard drive space as the game takes up to be able to install it. For example, God of War Ascension is a 37GB game that requires 80GB free hard drive space to download and install. And the installs take forever. So while I don't think it's a huge deal getting a PS4 with a 500GB drive (the installs are much faster), for PS3 I'd be looking at 250GB at the minimum if you plan on taking advantage of all the great deals the Playstation Store runs on PS3 games.

Stay away from the backwards compatible 20GB and 60GB models. Those use 90 nm lithography on both the cpu and gpu and consume a lot of power, which makes them generate lots of heat. Those early models are the ones most notorious for YLOD. The only fat models I would touch are the ones from late 2008 that use 65 nm gpu and cpu, as it brings the power consumption (and thus heat generated) significantly down from the early models. Eg mine is a CECHP01 model with 160GB hard drive, and I'm not too worried about YLOD with it like I would be using one of the 90 nm models (the 2007 to mid 2008 models use a 65 nm Cell cpu and a 90 nm RSX gpu I believe, and I'd also steer clear of those).

I'd probably buy a Slim 320GB if I was you. I bought the CECHP01 PS3 because Gamestop was selling it for $40, but now the only ones they sell cheap are the backwards compatible furnaces for $60 that I wouldn't touch. The Slims brought power consumption down further by shrinking the RSX and Cell to 45 nm lithography. The Super Slims are the same, but I wouldn't buy one because of the bad drive design. Eg there's just a sliding door (and really cheap quality on top of that) over the blu-ray drive, so I imagine you buy one used and you're really rolling the dice on the blu-ray drive. Supposedly Super Slims are much worse than Slims for the laser dying out, probably because it's easier for it to get damaged with that sliding door opening the drive up to the elements while the Slim and Fat both have slot loaders. Or maybe Sony just cheaped out on the last in the Super Slim. When you hold a Super Slim in your hand it feels like the system was designed strictly to cut costs at every possible corner. While the Slims and Fats have nice build quality and feel like premium products.

Nier is expensive as fuck for a used PS3 game. Eg Gamestop is selling it for $35 right now. The Playstation Store had the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (eg MGS 2+3+Peace Walker) for something like $8 a month ago. Metal Gear Solid 4 is usually one of the dirt cheap games at Gamestop. I paid $3 for it when I got my PS3 there back in January. Right now it's $5 but that's only because they jacked up the price on all their $2.99 games to $4.99 to make their four $4.99 games for $10 look like a better deal than it really is. Expect to pay $20 for Demon's Souls, although every once in a while the Playstation Store will put it up for sale for $10. I got Ninja Gaiden Sigma for $7 from Gamestop a few months ago, and I just checked and they still have that price.

It's a great time to buy a PS3 to load up on cheap PS3 classics from the Playstation Store. Their sales on PS3 games are kind of crap right now but they were incredible a couple of weeks ago (eg Shadow of the Colossus for $3, The Last of Us for $5, deals like that). Most Tuesday sales have at least a couple of really good PS3 game deals.