Graphics Card Problem

Hi guys. I bought an MSI Nvidia 1060 3GB less than a year ago and out of the blue it stopped working. I tried reinstalling drivers and resetting windows and came to the conclusion that it was just broken. I later decided to save up my money and just buy another one. So I did that but this doesn't work either. I don't know why this has happened. Whenever I right-click on the desktop I can't see the option for Nvidia Control panel and when I try to open it with Nvidia Geforce it says that I don't have an Nvidia card attached. In device manager it shows the card under display adapter but it has an error, code 43 with it. Before this card I had a AMD 7950 which worked fine but when I first upgraded to the 1060 it worked also so I am not sure why its decided to not work. I also try to update Nvidia Geforce but everytime I boot up it says I need to install the driver again. Windows itself gives me a notification that I must restart to finish preparing the 1060 but that shows up on each boot up. Please help I'm really freaking out about this. I've already posted this on reddit and got directed to here. I really hope you can help me.

[Edit] Here's the reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/6nlxsw/help_with_a_graphics_card_problem/

4 minutes ago, Amaan5260 said:

Hi guys. I bought an MSI Nvidia 1060 3GB less than a year ago and out of the blue it stopped working. I tried reinstalling drivers and resetting windows and came to the conclusion that it was just broken. I later decided to save up my money and just buy another one. So I did that but this doesn't work either. I don't know why this has happened. Whenever I right-click on the desktop I can't see the option for Nvidia Control panel and when I try to open it with Nvidia Geforce it says that I don't have an Nvidia card attached. In device manager it shows the card under display adapter but it has an error, code 43 with it. Before this card I had a AMD 7950 which worked fine but when I first upgraded to the 1060 it worked also so I am not sure why its decided to not work. I also try to update Nvidia Geforce but everytime I boot up it says I need to install the driver again. Windows itself gives me a notification that I must restart to finish preparing the 1060 but that shows up on each boot up. Please help I'm really freaking out about this. I've already posted this on reddit and got directed to here. I really hope you can help me.

[Edit] Here's the reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/6nlxsw/help_with_a_graphics_card_problem/

i'd say that the pcie slot is broken, have you tested the cards in a different motherboard?

try to test a different gpu in the motherboard you have right now to see if it works (or any pcie device

Just now, Tauwer said:

i'd say that the pcie slot is broken, have you tested the cards in a different motherboard?

try to test a different gpu in the motherboard you have right now to see if it works (or any pcie device

I have tried different slots with no positive result. My previous AMD card worked fine and when I first bought the 1060 it worked but then out of nowhere it stopped working. I don't have any other computers to test the card in unfortunately.

Just now, Amaan5260 said:

I have tried different slots with no positive result. My previous AMD card worked fine and when I first bought the 1060 it worked but then out of nowhere it stopped working. I don't have any other computers to test the card in unfortunately.

then i wouldnt know what the problem is. do you know what motherboard you have?

1 minute ago, Tauwer said:

then i wouldnt know what the problem is. do you know what motherboard you have?

I have a Gigabyte X79-UD3 according to Speccy

2 minutes ago, Amaan5260 said:

I have a Gigabyte X79-UD3 according to Speccy

i can`t seem to find something for you i`m sorry 

Just now, Tauwer said:

i can`t seem to find something for you i`m sorry 

Thanks anyway. Do you know of anyone else who could help me?

What are your full system specs?

Have you tried uninstalling drivers with DDU and then reinstalling them?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

What are your full system specs?

Have you tried uninstalling drivers with DDU and then reinstalling them?

I have tried uninstalling drivers with DDU however whenever I try to boot into safe mode this happens. Comp.thumb.jpg.4626ffd647dd6f312521a755e293bc70.jpg

As for the specs:

Gigabyte X79-UD3

i7 3820

Nvidia GeForce Gtx 1060 3GB MSI
Sorry don't know the others as I can't access the computer because of the above picture

8 minutes ago, Amaan5260 said:

I have tried uninstalling drivers with DDU however whenever I try to boot into safe mode this happens. Comp.thumb.jpg.4626ffd647dd6f312521a755e293bc70.jpg

As for the specs:

Gigabyte X79-UD3

i7 3820

Nvidia GeForce Gtx 1060 3GB MSI
Sorry don't know the others as I can't access the computer because of the above picture

That's quite weird... does it boot into bios ok?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Yes I can boot into Bios but I don't really know what I am looking at

32 minutes ago, Amaan5260 said:
33 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yes I can boot into Bios but I don't really know what I am looking at

So you boot into bios and it looks messed up like this or something else?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

So you boot into bios and it looks messed up like this or something else?

No sorry I should have been more clear
I don't really know what I'm looking at because I'm not familiar with the bios menu and don't really know how to work it

It is fine though looks wise

10 minutes ago, Amaan5260 said:

No sorry I should have been more clear
I don't really know what I'm looking at because I'm not familiar with the bios menu and don't really know how to work it

It is fine though looks wise

Do you have an old gpu that you could swap the 1060 with?

Also do you have any important data on your hard drive? Otherwise you might want to try to reinstall Windows.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Do you have an old gpu that you could swap the 1060 with?

Also do you have any important data on your hard drive? Otherwise you might want to try to reinstall Windows.

I do have my old AMD HD 7950 and that works and I have also already tried reinstalling windows to no avail.

7 hours ago, Amaan5260 said:

I do have my old AMD HD 7950 and that works and I have also already tried reinstalling windows to no avail.

Huh. Is there another machine you can test your 1060 on?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Huh. Is there another machine you can test your 1060 on?

No, sorry I know that isn't helpful.

1 minute ago, Amaan5260 said:

No, sorry I know that isn't helpful.

You've tried different pcie slots, correct?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

You've tried different pcie slots, correct?

Yes I have

On 7/16/2017 at 5:03 PM, Amaan5260 said:

Yes I have

Let me get this straight... So after you cleared cmos, you can go into the bios fine but if you try to boot into windows you get that weird screen?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Let me get this straight... So after you cleared cmos, you can go into the bios fine but if you try to boot into windows you get that weird screen?

Yeah booting into windows is when I get the weird screen

On 7/18/2017 at 2:21 AM, Amaan5260 said:

Yeah booting into windows is when I get the weird screen

And clean install doesn't fix it? Does Linux have the same issue?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

And clean install doesn't fix it? Does Linux have the same issue?

Clean install has not fixed it and I haven't tried Linux mostly because I don't know how and wouldn't really want to use Linux.

19 hours ago, Amaan5260 said:

Clean install has not fixed it and I haven't tried Linux mostly because I don't know how and wouldn't really want to use Linux.

You could try an install of Linux just to see if it's a windows issue.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

You could try an install of Linux just to see if it's a windows issue.

Is there a way I could do that and not lose all of my data?