Budget Build for a Buddy: Ryzen or Older Intel

Hi guys so I'm struggling to find many current reviews on an older 4470 i7, tossing up now whether I do a brand new ryzen build with a 1500x or 1600, or whether I use some hardware I already have lying around and grab a used i7 4470S (Lower TDP 4470)

Basically the goal is to get him up and running with a really decent gaming rig for modern games for under $1000 NZD, that's $735 USD. I have a bunch of older gear, a nice 1150 board, some off brand DDR3 and a R9 390X that I can sell on for bottom dollar. But when I'm parting out a brand new Ryzen build we're at $980 and I'm not super keen on letting a case, 390X and 2tb drive walk for $20 haha

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

ryzen 1600 is better, ryzen 1400 should be good if you can OC to 4ghz. 

Yeah, the main problem is here the 1600 is like $400 which eats up almost half the budget haha. I'd love to set him up with something new new but I also don't want to hurt myself doing it. Have you heard much about the cheaper AsRock AM4 boards? That's the only real way to cut costs if I'm going ryzen way

Buy a used OEM i7 4th gen pc, and do simple upgrades like SSD and HDD and ram, then give him a decent GPU card.

Thats the only way to go.

A simple $350 OEM PC is all that is needed.

People are so wasteful these days.

Newegg.com

4th gen i5 $250-$300 all day long

4th gen i7 $300-$450 all day long

Then you do simple upgrades like a large 500GB SSD for $150 and a 1TB HDD for $50 and 16GB ram for $120.

Then you can throw in a GPU like a 1080ti or something for $700

1080 $560

1070 $500

1060 $250

14 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Yeah, the main problem is here the 1600 is like $400 which eats up almost half the budget haha. I'd love to set him up with something new new but I also don't want to hurt myself doing it. Have you heard much about the cheaper AsRock AM4 boards? That's the only real way to cut costs if I'm going ryzen way

4770s will do fine, remember there is no upgrade path, i am not sure about the pricing in New Zealand.

yes, if you can wait for a sale, 

- get a ryzen 1400

- Cpu cooler comes in the box, you can even OC with the stock cooler 

- cheap b350m MOBO

- 8 GB of ram for now- future upgrade 

- your 380x and 2TB HDD, how much are you willing to sell it for? 

15 minutes ago, yathis said:

Buy a used OEM i7 4th gen pc, and do simple upgrades like SSD and HDD and ram, then give him a decent GPU card.

Thats the only way to go.

A simple $350 OEM PC is all that is needed.

People are so wasteful these days.

Newegg.com

4th gen i5 $250-$300 all day long

4th gen i7 $300-$450 all day long

Then you do simple upgrades like a large 500GB SSD for $150 and a 1TB HDD for $50 and 16GB ram for $120.

Then you can throw in a GPU like a 1080ti or something for $700

1080 $560

1070 $500

1060 $250

FYI OP is not in the US 

596ad8360ca9a_ScreenShot2017-07-15at9_06_19PM.png.11c764cee3c28b4e5d4b0b3a6d787718.png

Use what you have, if you're on that kind of budget. Maybe buy a small SSD, and that should be great. Will play the vast majority of games perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

FYI OP is not in the US 

596ad8360ca9a_ScreenShot2017-07-15at9_06_19PM.png.11c764cee3c28b4e5d4b0b3a6d787718.png

All the same, the world is their oyster.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

FYI OP is not in the US 

I think some are us price and some are different for that guy who said i5 4th gen for 250-350 or wtv seems very overprcied if it's in use as current gen i7 is $340 usd but then the ssd and 1080ti he put in there seem to be close to usd just like $50 short or so of most Newegg pricing of what I've seen reacntly. Really confused why someone would pay upwards of $100 more for a 4th Gen i7 then a 7th gen i7 as well if it's usd lol. Tbink he might be using a few different currencies in there.

PCPartPicker part list: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZjGyzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZjGyzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($341.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($166.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($107.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.00 @ DTC Systems) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($177.60 @ PC Force) 
Total: $865.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-16 18:03 NZST+1200

No ssd and only 4GB ram dims so need if he wants more then 16gb he will have to replace the 2 dims idk how much u want to charge him for the for the case and gpu. I wouldn't sell your hdd becaue there is a good chance that most of your infomaton you had on it is still on it. But if u do sell him it and go with that set up you can charge him avout $200. For upgrade paths prob a ssd and 2x4GB of ram kit would be one the first things idk how good of a mobo that is as most reviews are for x370 Motherboards and only a few b350 but it's a B350 not a B350m and it's from a good mobo company so should be build good. Also that psu is pretty good could spend a tad more for a g2 but think you need get a 650w then and it would add an extra $30-50. Anyways hope it helped some. Almost forgot if you remove the hdd it is 790 or something so if you where looking for only $100 for gpu case and hdd then you could get him an extra 8GB of ram or maybe a 120gb ssd or something.

4 hours ago, cowpker4life said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZjGyzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZjGyzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($341.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($166.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($107.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.00 @ DTC Systems) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($177.60 @ PC Force) 
Total: $865.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-16 18:03 NZST+1200

No ssd and only 4GB ram dims so need if he wants more then 16gb he will have to replace the 2 dims idk how much u want to charge him for the for the case and gpu. I wouldn't sell your hdd becaue there is a good chance that most of your infomaton you had on it is still on it. But if u do sell him it and go with that set up you can charge him avout $200. For upgrade paths prob a ssd and 2x4GB of ram kit would be one the first things idk how good of a mobo that is as most reviews are for x370 Motherboards and only a few b350 but it's a B350 not a B350m and it's from a good mobo company so should be build good. Also that psu is pretty good could spend a tad more for a g2 but think you need get a 650w then and it would add an extra $30-50. Anyways hope it helped some. Almost forgot if you remove the hdd it is 790 or something so if you where looking for only $100 for gpu case and hdd then you could get him an extra 8GB of ram or maybe a 120gb ssd or something.

You've pretty much nailed the build I had on part picker, I've got a few mechanicals to choose from here all clean and formatted. I run a small repair business so there's a lot of older gear on hand just really wanting someone to convince me otherwise of giving away a 390X, case and drive for next to nothing... Is that selfish...? haha.

I also haven't done a ryzen build for anyone yet and am keen to get my hands on it, but it does mean I'll probably be a little out of pocket for my own 1080ti upgrade. 

6 hours ago, yathis said:

All the same, the world is their oyster.

Except for 15% duty on imported orders, expensive shipping and crazy lead time on orders :P But yeah, I could ship to my US post service if need be but the cost on duty bringing it in is kinda the killer

Just now, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Except for 15% duty on imported orders, expensive shipping and crazy lead time on orders :P But yeah, I could ship to my US post service if need be but the cost on duty bringing it in is kinda the killer

Its just money.

Do whatever is reasonable.

There is a newegg Australia, so is that the same import duty? must be

7 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

4770s will do fine, remember there is no upgrade path, i am not sure about the pricing in New Zealand.

yes, if you can wait for a sale, 

- get a ryzen 1400

- Cpu cooler comes in the box, you can even OC with the stock cooler 

- cheap b350m MOBO

- 8 GB of ram for now- future upgrade 

- your 380x and 2TB HDD, how much are you willing to sell it for? 

Yeah I do have a couple of weeks up the sleeve to keep an eye out for sales. I may just nab the 4470S anyway and either I charge him for it or I use it in my media PC.

4470 at the moment there's a used one going for $275 NZD which is $202 USD 

I also have a 212 evo on hand so I'm keen to see how far I can push these chips, have you had much luck with any?

9 minutes ago, yathis said:

Its just money.

Do whatever is reasonable.

There is a newegg Australia, so is that the same import duty? must be

Never a truer word spoken!

Yeah there is an AUS Newegg and they do ship here but it's that same issue, also the range is severely limited as to what you can get. Also we miss out on so many of the promotions and rebates etc that make newegg great in the US. Not too big of a deal, there's heaps of suppliers here just you end up paying a premium :( 

15 hours ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

You've pretty much nailed the build I had on part picker, I've got a few mechanicals to choose from here all clean and formatted. I run a small repair business so there's a lot of older gear on hand just really wanting someone to convince me otherwise of giving away a 390X, case and drive for next to nothing... Is that selfish...? haha.

I also haven't done a ryzen build for anyone yet and am keen to get my hands on it, but it does mean I'll probably be a little out of pocket for my own 1080ti upgrade. 

Don't k ow what case it Is most hdds used aren't much and idk how much the r9 390x is used there. But you could sell him that all for $200 what would be 1/5 the price of his build what seems reasonable. Most gtx 780s where I am are 100 usd and beleive the 780 is a bit better.

3 hours ago, cowpker4life said:

Don't k ow what case it Is most hdds used aren't much and idk how much the r9 390x is used there. But you could sell him that all for $200 what would be 1/5 the price of his build what seems reasonable. Most gtx 780s where I am are 100 usd and beleive the 780 is a bit better.

I have a few to choose from on hand, In Win 703, Zalman R1  and a couple of off brand generic cases. I think if I'm gonna go used CPU route I'll throw in the In Win and make it look prettyat least. The Zalman is a mission to build in, super average build quality but hey what can you expect from a bottom dollar case haha. The drive I'm okay basically throwing in for nothing. 

I guess it depends on use case really, the 390X has a shit ton more VRAM which is great for running mods and is slightly faster, but being an NVIDIA card the 780 has better optimisation across more games. 

Thanks so much for your help though man, this community is great for bouncing ideas off people!

1 hour ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

I have a few to choose from on hand, In Win 703, Zalman R1  and a couple of off brand generic cases. I think if I'm gonna go used CPU route I'll throw in the In Win and make it look prettyat least. The Zalman is a mission to build in, super average build quality but hey what can you expect from a bottom dollar case haha. The drive I'm okay basically throwing in for nothing. 

I guess it depends on use case really, the 390X has a shit ton more VRAM which is great for running mods and is slightly faster, but being an NVIDIA card the 780 has better optimisation across more games. 

Thanks so much for your help though man, this community is great for bouncing ideas off people!

Would say a kinda deacnt case and the r9 390x with the r7 1600 would be a pretty good build. And did some go ogling the r9 is faster the 780 in some a good chunk of games but some games the 780 is 50% faster some the r9 is 50% faster what seems like a very big gap at times lot of games tho they are with in 10 or 15 fps or the 780 ti what the 780 can beat if it's ocd. Imo I would go with the newer cpu 2 cores 4 threads would be pretty nice along with them being around the same ipc ryzen might have little higher idk. If you don't want to use Windows 10 tho then the older i7 would be needed for windows 7 or something. Both have there ups and downs for gaming and what not but windows 10 with DX12 and being newer so should be supported for more games longer. If it was me I would do the r5 and a crappier case would take profmace over looks can always put the system under the desk or something.