So I've heard time and again that buying a GPU that was used for mining is just bad news. But with Ethereum mining on the decline and others saying it's already dead I would assume that eBay, Craigslist, etc. are going see a rise in post-consumer, ex-mining GPUs going for a small fraction of their MSRP in the near future. That being said I have a few questions:

1. Has the secondary-market been flooded with ex-mining GPUs when other cryptocurrency bubbles have popped or the "landscape" changed? e.g. When bitcoin ASIC chips became more efficient than GPUs

2. If so, do these cards typically sell for a significant markdown off of MSRP, or do people try to pass them off as though they were simply another used gaming GPU?

3. How do these ex-mining cards stack up against new, lightly, or even heavily used gaming cards in various benchmarks?

4. I've heard that video artifacts are occasionally a problem, are there other effects caused by the mining that might make these cards unsuitable/ unusable for gaming? (Other than simply killing it)
5. Might the ex-mining discount (assuming there is one) be enough to ignore some of the problems with these cards?

I'd love to see a LTT video answering some or all of the above questions but getting answers from experience members of the community would be appreciated as well.

Note: I'm not actually looking at buying an ex-mining card, I'm very happy with the system that I have, I've just been curious about what happens to all these GPUs following a mining craze.

My rig:
CPU: Ryzen 1600X

MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

RAM: 16Gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4

STORAGE: 512Gb ADATA Ultimate SU800 SSD; 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDD

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce  6Gb

PSU: EVGA GQ 650
CASE: CM MasterCase 5

PERIPHERALS: Corsair Strafe RGB, Corsair Sabre RGB, HyperX Cloud Stinger
PCP Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/EvEdSchob/saved/ZnLLkL

12 minutes ago, mrcharlz said:

So I've heard time and again that buying a GPU that was used for mining is just bad news. But with Ethereum mining on the decline and others saying it's already dead I would assume that eBay, Craigslist, etc. are going see a rise in post-consumer, ex-mining GPUs going for a small fraction of their MSRP in the near future. That being said I have a few questions:

1. Has the secondary-market been flooded with ex-mining GPUs when other cryptocurrency bubbles have popped or the "landscape" changed? e.g. When bitcoin ASIC chips became more efficient than GPUs

2. If so, do these cards typically sell for a significant markdown off of MSRP, or do people try to pass them off as though they were simply another used gaming GPU?

3. How do these ex-mining cards stack up against new, lightly, or even heavily used gaming cards in various benchmarks?

4. I've heard that video artifacts are occasionally a problem, are there other effects caused by the mining that might make these cards unsuitable/ unusable for gaming? (Other than simply killing it)
5. Might the ex-mining discount (assuming there is one) be enough to ignore some of the problems with these cards?

I'd love to see a LTT video answering some or all of the above questions but getting answers from experience members of the community would be appreciated as well.

Note: I'm not actually looking at buying an ex-mining card, I'm very happy with the system that I have, I've just been curious about what happens to all these GPUs following a mining craze.

The problem is that these cards ware usd for 24/7 max out. that wears down the lifespan of the gpu. I'll only can recument it when you can get tham on the cheap (A RX 480 for 100 usd). its a gamble real. and your fail tolarans. Do you want to save money and expect that it can fail soon than a brand new one ?

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"