Need help upgrading GPU

Joshb111

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, but I'm unsure if I can or if I will need to build a new one I'm currently running at 1920x1080 and I want to move over to 4K 

I was looking at the new 1080ti or I can get two 1080s for the same price should I go with the single card?

this is my current build.

PC specs 

Tuff Sabertooth 990FX R.2.0

AMD 9590 black edition 8core 4.7 ghz 5.0ghz turbo with corsair H100i v2 240 AIO

32gigs rip jaw ram

Corsair ram cooler

(2) GTX 960 titanium edition 4GB each in SLI 

Samsung 850 evo 240SSD for OS 

Samsung 850 evo 240SSD for the games I play the most

Western digital black 1TB for storage 

2ed western Digital black 1TB for storage 

PSU corsair 750 80+ gold

Budget? What should all be included (CPU, Mobo, GPU...)? Any special preferences (Looks, Overclocking...)?

Just looking to get rid of my older 960s and stick a better card in, if possible, budget for card is up to 1200$ No preference on looks prefer OC cards and it will aid in 4k gaming

5 minutes ago, FTL said:

Budget? What should all be included (CPU, Mobo, GPU...)? Any special preferences (Looks, Overclocking...)?

No preference just wanting to know if my system and handle a 1080ti for 4k gaming or what are my options with this system to play 4k games

GTX 980 then and if you want to go further add ti

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

GTX 980 then and if you want to go further add ti

Will I be able to run 4k on my games with a single 980? 

5 minutes ago, Joshb111 said:

Will I be able to run 4k on my games with a single 980? 

Yeah, it is below GTx 1070 but while GTX 970 can do 4K low settings the 980 should be better in mid or high texture

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Yeah, it is below GTx 1070 but while GTX 970 can do 4K low settings the 980 should be better in mid or high texture

Well I was wanting to get a GTX1080ti just need to know if my system can handle it?

2 minutes ago, Joshb111 said:

Well I was wanting to get a GTX1080ti just need to know if my system can handle it?

Theh say FX CPUs have bad IPC, i think it stands for Integrated Power Control? Anyways that means it won't hold too much... Correct me if i am wrong

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

11 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Theh say FX CPUs have bad IPC, i think it stands for Integrated Power Control? Anyways that means it won't hold too much... Correct me if i am wrong

I keep the turbo off and my system load at max is 400w when under heavy load, the 220w TDP is a killer tho, not sure about the IPC, I just can't seem to find the information I need haha, just wanna know if I can put a 1080ti in this system and game at 4k for some reason seems to be the hardest question to get answered, I'm fairly new to building this was my first build, and I completed it for around 600$ I plan an building a new rig when money permits, but I have to upgrade my GPU, so how can I find out if this system will run the 1080ti

7 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

It means Instructions Per Clock.

@Joshb111, you should be fine grabbing a GTX 1080Ti. You might hit a CPU bottleneck depending on the game, but generally at 4K you will be GPU limited.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

@Joshb111, you should be fine grabbing a GTX 1080Ti. You might hit a CPU bottleneck depending on the game, but generally at 4K you will be GPU limited.

Thanks for the info! So at higher resolution the CPU is not in bussiness?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

That is some of the only information I did find, useing the 9590 at 1080p with a 1080 it would bottleneck, but when running 4K it matched some i7s and had almost no bottleneck at all, but before I spent the money I wanted to ask

Yes from what I have found the 9590 bottleneck issue is at lower res, i.e. 1080p with high end cards but in 4K matches some i7s but again I'm new and have to ask before I spend the money

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

And the games I play are World of tanks,world of warships,war-thunder, GTA5, and some others, I'm aiming for 4K at 60hz at 60FPS 

3 minutes ago, Joshb111 said:

Yes from what I have found the 9590 bottleneck issue is at lower res, i.e. 1080p with high end cards but in 4K matches some i7s but again I'm new and have to ask before I spend the money

Well mu dad let me choose parts for upgrade and in the day i want to buy those things he checks it and voila! Finished

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Well mu dad let me choose parts for upgrade and in the day i want to buy those things he checks it and voila! Finished

Haha, naw it's the wife, I got her to agree to let me get a new titan XP 1200$ so that's my budget 1200$ for GPU and I'm currently stashing away my new build fund

6 minutes ago, Joshb111 said:

Haha, naw it's the wife, I got her to agree to let me get a new titan XP 1200$ so that's my budget 1200$ for GPU and I'm currently stashing away my new build fund

I think that is a great decision, but my budget is only $800 at the moment. To be continued in the private message

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

I think that is a great decision, but my budget is only $800 at the moment. To be continued in the private message

What's a great decision a titan XP? Haha I thought about it just to say hey look what I have lol

1 minute ago, Joshb111 said:

What's a great decision a titan XP? Haha I thought about it just to say hey look what I have lol

I mean when are given budget of $1200 and you choose to only get graphics card instead of single Titan

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I mean when are given budget of $1200 and you choose to only get graphics card instead of single Titan

Well from what I have seen the titan XP has an average 10FPS over the 1080ti when running in 4k so I might get the titan XP might not still debating it

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Generally no, but might depend on the game. To go into more detail, you have to understand how a CPU works. The CPU has two jobs:

1. Logics (physics, animations and other such things).

2. Draw Calls

Since the topic pertains to the matter of CPUs and GPUs, we'll focus on draw calls. Draw calls are the instructions that the CPU delivers to the GPU on what to render. The lower the resolution, the easier it is for the GPU to render those frames (and therefore, there are more frames) and the demand for draw calls increases. If we increase the resolution, the reason why you're more likely to be GPU limited is because the number of draw calls decreases. The load of the CPU does not change at all.

20 minutes ago, Joshb111 said:

That is some of the only information I did find, useing the 9590 at 1080p with a 1080 it would bottleneck, but when running 4K it matched some i7s and had almost no bottleneck at all, but before I spent the money I wanted to ask

That's about right.

17 minutes ago, Joshb111 said:

And the games I play are World of tanks,world of warships,war-thunder, GTA5, and some others, I'm aiming for 4K at 60hz at 60FPS 

To achieve a consistent 4K 60FPS, you'll more than likely need to turn down some settings to around medium to high.

If you got $1200 to spend, why not upgrade the CPU as well? $1200 should be enough for a GTX 1080Ti, i7-4790K and Z97 motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Generally no, but might depend on the game. To go into more detail, you have to understand how a CPU works. The CPU has two jobs:

1. Logics (physics, animations and other such things).

2. Draw Calls

Since the topic pertains to the matter of CPUs and GPUs, we'll focus on draw calls. Draw calls are the instructions that the CPU delivers to the GPU on what to render. The lower the resolution, the easier it is for the GPU to render those frames (and therefore, there are more frames) and the demand for draw calls increases. If we increase the resolution, the reason why you're more likely to be GPU limited is because the number of draw calls decreases. The load of the CPU does not change at all.

That's about right.

To achieve a consistent 4K 60FPS, you'll more than likely need to turn down some settings to around medium to high.

If you got $1200 to spend, why not upgrade the CPU as well? $1200 should be enough for a GTX 1080Ti, i7-4790K and Z97 motherboard.

Well if you look at my build at the top of the thread will the rest of my components work with what you have listed?

Well if you look at my build at the top of the thread will the rest of my components work with what you have listed?

No reason it shouldn't. The RAM you already have would work well.

Spoiler

The build will work as mentioned before the 4K resolution uses less draw calls than 1080p

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :