How to find the correct server rack size

I recently bought a refurbished server off ebay for some simple home hosting.

Namely the HP ProLiant DL160 G6.

It did however not come with rails, so I would like to know what sized I'd be looking at for this server, and what rails I'd need to buy.

15 minutes ago, justjort said:

I recently bought a refurbished server off ebay for some simple home hosting.

Namely the HP ProLiant DL160 G6.

It did however not come with rails, so I would like to know what sized I'd be looking at for this server, and what rails I'd need to buy.

1u rails is what you need.

\

1 hour ago, Zygizz said:

1 U or 2 U Rack mounted rails should do the trick  

ok, and how about server rack size. I can see the unit is about 700mm deep, does that mean I need the same depth server rack or is 1U a standard for depth size as well?

2 hours ago, justjort said:

ok, and how about server rack size. I can see the unit is about 700mm deep, does that mean I need the same depth server rack or is 1U a standard for depth size as well?

your rack needs to be deeper than that server, id pay the extra for the oem rails on that come with the server, they fit better and you can then just slide the server out.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your rack needs to be deeper than that server, id pay the extra for the oem rails on that come with the server, they fit better and you can then just slide the server out.

I see,

but any 1u rails will work right? (on a tight budget).

5 hours ago, justjort said:

I see,

but any 1u rails will work right? (on a tight budget).

what rails? can you link the pick and what rack you have?

2 hours ago, justjort said:

I don't have a rack yet. I'm looking for a rack and rails combo, I've got this server to put in it: http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/hp-proliant-dl160-g6-configure-to-order/

How many other serves switches and ups do you have that need rack space. What I did was hunt on Craigslist in untill I found one that was the right size for me so 12u and pretty cheap. 

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many other serves switches and ups do you have that need rack space. What I did was hunt on Craigslist in untill I found one that was the right size for me so 12u and pretty cheap. 

I only have one switch and a UPS, but I'm planning on adding more servers if capacity is required, so I reckon 15U should be a sweetspot. 

35 minutes ago, justjort said:

I only have one switch and a UPS, but I'm planning on adding more servers if capacity is required, so I reckon 15U should be a sweetspot. 

id start looking on craigslist and surplus stores if you want to keep the price down.