Tips for someone playing overwatch for the first time?

Daveeede

I'm about to play it for the first time. I've seen gameplay online, but never actually played it. Anything I should know while I wait for the download to finish?

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

mercy main 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Not really. Just play. The advanced stuff comes later.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Protect. Your. Healers. Especially Mercy - keep Mercy alive and she can revive your whole team in a pinch with her Ultimate (default keybind: Q) ability.

Ana (sniper healer) can power boost you or a teammate with her Ulti.

Lucio's Ulti generates a AOE-based group shield overcharge (if you're within the range of it, you get shields that trickle away over time and damage).

Zenyatta's Ulti generates an aura of healing and protection when he pops Transcendence (during which he's pretty much invulnerable).

Symmettra isn't a healer but a choke point controller (with her Sentries) who has a choice of Ultimates between a Teleporter from spawn for her team to get back to the fight quickly or a Shield Generator to keep them in the fight a bit longer.

I like that there is a tutorial arena so that I can try the different characters and get used to all their controls. Community seems decent enough though! So far mercy is a lot of fun to play as. I'm planning to get decent with at least one character from each class so that I'm not completely useless out of the gate haha

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

I'm no pro. But here's some advice.
I mainly wait for my team to pick there heroes, and then pick a hero that will fit in with the team.
Never trickle in, meaning never go in one or two at a time. If your team is dying at different times, try to regroup and attack together.
Don't go in trying to get a shit ton of kills, go in to take the objective.
Try to judge when it's worth hunting that player down with low hp, you don't want to be running in to an ambush.

Not the best advice, but I feel it's good advice for the core gameplay.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Just have fun with it.  Don't worry too much about performance right at the beginning.  Be a team player, play to win, get to know the ins and outs of your preferred characters and you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers