Next Upgrade

Hi all,

Im new to the LMG forums, i want to upgrade my computer named "stormtrooper" with a better Graphics card as i do a lot of hi-res sim gaming. 

Here are the specs:

CPU: i5-6400

GPU: GTX-960 4GB VRAM

PSU: Corsair Bronze 600W

Case: NZXT 240

CPU cooler: Hyper T4

those are the specs, hope another enthusiast can help! 

My budget is $300-500 AUD

the games that I am playing currently are P3D V4, X-Plane 11, War Thunder and also a lot of video production (1080P)

Thanks -Core

Edited by CoreTech HD
did not specify the things i needed.

That feeling when a YouTube video loads and its Linus Tech Tips,B|  

When your ping is of Australian standard

Waiting for NBN 

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAURVvXe2-2lcIV34NsnhYA

You haven't specified a budget at all, or the exact games your playing. Since you haven't specificed a budget I could reccomend a Titan Xp.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

What is your budget?

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

What is your budget?

around $300-600 AUD

Waiting for NBN 

Just now, CoreTech HD said:

around $300-600 AUD

What resolution?

15 minutes ago, CoreTech HD said:

around $300-600 AUD

you might just be able to fit a 1070 in. 

else, a 1060 might be the best bet, as AMD 500 series cards a basically out of stock everywhere. 

31 minutes ago, lilbman said:

What resolution?

I sim at 1920X1080

Waiting for NBN 

24 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

you might just be able to fit a 1070 in. 

else, a 1060 might be the best bet, as AMD 500 series cards a basically out of stock everywhere. 

Ok, i will look into the 1060, do you think there will be a bottle neck?

Waiting for NBN 

3 minutes ago, CoreTech HD said:

Ok, i will look into the 1060, do you think there will be a bottle neck?

No, you will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

No, you will be fine. 

Awesome! thanks for your help!

Waiting for NBN 

16 hours ago, CoreTech HD said:

I sim at 1920X1080

Get a 1060 6GB.

If the RX 580 was still available to buy, I would suggest it, very nice card.

Damn miners.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

On 2017-6-9 at 1:41 PM, Armakar said:

You haven't specified a budget at all, or the exact games your playing. Since you haven't specificed a budget I could reccomend a Titan Xp.

Sorry about that! My budget is 300-500 AUD, im playing a lot of high end flight simulators (X-Plane and P3D V4).

Waiting for NBN 

On 2017-6-9 at 1:41 PM, CUDA_Cores said:

Are you having problems playing your current games at your current chosen settings? If not, don't upgrade. You are wasting your money. Only upgrade if you feel you can actually take advantage of said performance.

my frame rates are not  great when i am in dense areas and big Aircraft, i think i could definitely use the extra performance, i also do a lot of video creation.

Waiting for NBN 

On 2017-6-10 at 5:46 AM, CoreTech HD said:

Sorry about that! My budget is 300-500 AUD, im playing a lot of high end flight simulators (X-Plane and P3D V4).

Apologies for late reply.
Assuming your new to the forums, I assume you don't know about AMD Vega that's expected to launch in the next month or so. AMD have admittedly been far behind in both the GPU and CPU department however this year they stunned the market with their Ryzen CPU's and are stealing heaps of market share from Intel, and Vega is expected to do just that. Vega is making NVidia worry, to the point they are throwing out the fastest GPUs they can make to prepare.
If I were you, I'd wait for Vega. Vega will highly likely be underpricing NVidia with the same performance as the GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti, and even if Vega isn't that fantastic, it'l  still drive NVidia's prices down. I'd wait and see what it brings to the table, I think it would be worth it.

If you really can't wait, you can get a 1070 for a little over $500 AUD here.
If you want to spend a little less, I advise the 1060 6GB, or the RX580 8GB, both of which cost around $350-$450 depending on brand. However, if your not waiting for vega, I think spending an extra $100 for the 1070 is worth it, it's an absolute monster of a card and crushes both the 580 and 1060.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

My specs are pretty similar to yours op, if you want I can try out war thunder and tell you what kind of fps and settings I can use on my 1060.

• 1 month later...
On 11/06/2017 at 6:18 PM, Armakar said:

Apologies for late reply.
Assuming your new to the forums, I assume you don't know about AMD Vega that's expected to launch in the next month or so. AMD have admittedly been far behind in both the GPU and CPU department however this year they stunned the market with their Ryzen CPU's and are stealing heaps of market share from Intel, and Vega is expected to do just that. Vega is making NVidia worry, to the point they are throwing out the fastest GPUs they can make to prepare.
If I were you, I'd wait for Vega. Vega will highly likely be underpricing NVidia with the same performance as the GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti, and even if Vega isn't that fantastic, it'l  still drive NVidia's prices down. I'd wait and see what it brings to the table, I think it would be worth it.

If you really can't wait, you can get a 1070 for a little over $500 AUD here.
If you want to spend a little less, I advise the 1060 6GB, or the RX580 8GB, both of which cost around $350-$450 depending on brand. However, if your not waiting for vega, I think spending an extra $100 for the 1070 is worth it, it's an absolute monster of a card and crushes both the 580 and 1060.

i will look into the Vega concept! im currently looking into a GTX 1060, over the rest of the year the price should drop as you said! Thanks -Andrew

Waiting for NBN 

Look at your CPU usage, sim games usually destroy the CPU. If the games are very friendly with multicore CPUs, consider upgrading to a 6-8 core Ryzen CPU.

$250 CPU

$120 Mobo

$230 GTX 1060 GPU

Hope you have DDR4 RAM :P

I love computers, electronics, audio equipment, games, art (digital/traditional), and programming.

Ryzen 1800x | GTX 1080 SLI | 32GB RAM | 3x 1440p 165hz Gsync  | Alienware R4 17": i7 6700HQ | GTX 1070 Mobile | 32GB RAM | 1440p 120hz Gsync  |  DIY 5.1, DIY 2.1, ATH CKR10

i7 4790k, GTX 970 SLI, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1, Asus Mx239h ,Logitech G900, Logitech G910, Logitech G930, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad 2, MacBook Pro Retina 15" etc.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:31 PM, CoreTech HD said:

Awesome! thanks for your help!

no, you will have a bottleneck. the 6400 is slow as fuck. i have a 6402p which is clocked slightly higher and it bottlenecks the hell out of my 480. the 480 is slightly faster than a 1060 but they are very comparable. i recommend upgrading your cpu first as it really isnt very capable, especially not with ryzen being one of the top sellers on amazon. less and less games will use only 4 threads in the future

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

okay, so what CPU do you recommend? i5-6700k?

Waiting for NBN 

16 hours ago, Phoenix Fieryn said:

Look at your CPU usage, sim games usually destroy the CPU. If the games are very friendly with multicore CPUs, consider upgrading to a 6-8 core Ryzen CPU.

$250 CPU

$120 Mobo

$230 GTX 1060 GPU

Hope you have DDR4 RAM :P

i don't have DDR4!!!! my motherboard does not support it!!!! i'm running on a reasonable small budget! my CPU goes up to 90% on P3D.

Waiting for NBN 

On 09/06/2017 at 1:43 PM, lilbman said:

What resolution?

1080P

Waiting for NBN