Should I delete previous versions of windows

Lewiscpullan

I updated windows today so I decided to search through the settings to see if anything had changed and just for a general nose and I found out that you can delete previous versions of windows. If I delete then I can fill up 230GB and my HDD is nearly full (I could probably make space other ways too) but then I can't roll back to a previous version. So do you think its worth it, I'm leaning onto to taking the risk but I would love to see what you would do!

Thanks, Lewis

Really depends on whether you plan on going back to an older os or not. (I'd just get rid of any older versions if I didn't plan on going back)

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

I'd wait until you really need the HDD space as you never know what kind of problems you may run into and might want to roll back. IIRC Windows will automatically delete the old install after 30-90 days.

5 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

Snip

At this point, the only reason to go back to an older version is because you don't like the new interface.
Play with it a bit before deleting it though, make sure you know you like Windows 10.

Agree, if your not going back to a previous OS, go ahead and delete them.

Now, assuming that you are going to delete the previous OS.  The best thing you could do to accomplish that task at the same time there are no "left overs", would be to do a clean install of the OS you are going to use.  Back up all the stuff you want to save for future use then turn off the PC and disconnect all your hard drives with the exception of the C: drive.  Once you are certain the only drive connected is the C: drive, use a Windows Media Creation Tool to take care of the rest of the job.  Delete old partitions and create just one partition for the C: drive.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

3 minutes ago, Benjals said:

At this point, the only reason to go back to an older version is because you don't like the new interface.
Play with it a bit before deleting it though, make sure you know you like Windows 10.

I updated to windows 10 a while back it was just a smaller update I did today

I NEVER keep old builds of windows, infact I disable system restore entirely, no reason to waste writes on my SSD's, if anything screws up it only takes a few hours to do a full install of Windows and reconfigure all my apps and settings.

9 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Agree, if your not going back to a previous OS, go ahead and delete them.

Now, assuming that you are going to delete the previous OS.  The best thing you could do to accomplish that task at the same time there are no "left overs", would be to do a clean install of the OS you are going to use.  Back up all the stuff you want to save for future use then turn off the PC and disconnect all your hard drives with the exception of the C: drive.  Once you are certain the only drive connected is the C: drive, use a Windows Media Creation Tool to take care of the rest of the job.  Delete old partitions and create just one partition for the C: drive.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Tbh I'm not really bothered about doing a full clean install I just wanted to free up a bit if space!

A clean install would be the best way that you get the space you want while not deleting something that you may need. And with a clean install, everything is fresh and up-2-date.

8 hours ago, kb5zue said:

A clean install would be the best way that you get the space you want while not deleting something that you may need. And with a clean install, everything is fresh and up-2-date.

Yah but its more effort, maybe in the future when I need space again.

Yea, if you're not worried about saving anything though, a clean install IMHO is still the best way to go.  Don't have to worry about left over bugs or virus, left over unused drivers, etc., and with a clean install don't also have to worry about defragmentation or the like.  And if your intent is to get rid of left over old windows installs, the clean install is still the best way to go.

Just my humble opinion.

On 2017-6-6 at 11:13 PM, kb5zue said:

Yea, if you're not worried about saving anything though, a clean install IMHO is still the best way to go.  Don't have to worry about left over bugs or virus, left over unused drivers, etc., and with a clean install don't also have to worry about defragmentation or the like.  And if your intent is to get rid of left over old windows installs, the clean install is still the best way to go.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm going to sell my computer soon so I will do it before I sell it that way I don't have to put everything back onto it

That would be the best deal.  You get the piece of mind knowing that you didn't leave anything left behind such as those racy pics of your girlfriend and the buyer gets the piece of mind knowing there is no possibility of unwanted or malicious software or bugs.  It's what we call a win - win situation.

On 2017-6-8 at 6:29 PM, kb5zue said:

That would be the best deal.  You get the piece of mind knowing that you didn't leave anything left behind such as those racy pics of your girlfriend and the buyer gets the piece of mind knowing there is no possibility of unwanted or malicious software or bugs.  It's what we call a win - win situation.

lol