Display monitor sometimes not detected on startup

Hello all, 

So recently i have been having some issues with my monitor not detecting and i have no clue why it is happening. I've gone through all the steps to troubleshoot what is happening and I have no clue what the cause is. If you recognize the problem please tell me how i can fix it.

The problem:

The problem started a few months back, I thought nothing of it and after a while it became annoying. Sometimes (once every 10 or so) on booting my computer my primary monitor AOC G2460V (displayport) shows black screen (This is very random i have not found any pattern in it.) while my 2nd monitor (HDMI) does load into windows no problem. When I reboot the pc the problem disappears and its like nothing happened. When I do load into windows on my 2nd monitor however and open Nvidia control panel and look at the display output it shows this (imgur). When I check the box it freezes for a second and it automaticly unchecks itself. What is actually going on here?

I am running the latest drivers from nvidia

i5 3330

Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC (Factory overclocked)

Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance

replug video card that fixed for me and ram maybe too, if that doesnt fix it test other monitor, im trying to think more options to do 

15 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

replug video card that fixed for me and ram maybe too, if that doesnt fix it test other monitor, im trying to think more options to do 

3 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

oh also clean all possible ports etc

Tried all of these already, they didn't work

• 1 year later...

Spoiler alert.... it is your monitor's input settings. Change the monitor inputs to what you currently have connected.... a VGA, DVI, or HDMI cable.... my monitor's input settings were somehow changed to D-Sub (whatever that is). To change the monitor's input settings, click on the buttons on your monitor has. Yes, we are going old school on this one, not everything is due to some sort of a software issue.... lol. Thank God for that!

So I had the same issue, and no matter where I looked, no one had the answer. But I found it. Read on.

I also had the same issue, it actually started with the monitor going on and off randomly several times before it would stay on. After much unplugging and re-plugging and several days, the computer would not recognize the monitor on startups; only like 1/3 to 1/2 of the time the monitor would be recognize by my computer. I tried activating windows (my windows was not activated at the time), updating windows, updating the graphics card driver with the CD that I received, updating the graphics card driver via the website, updating the monitor drivers with the CD that I received, and updating the monitor drivers from the website. I also tried to uninstall drivers too, to see what happens. However, unfortunately, the same issue did not go away.

I did a bunch of research on several forums on how you should buy a new cable (I bought a new cable, spoiler alert, it did not help), so.... I thought, I am just going to spend another $200 and get a new monitor. But I also thought, okay, the monitor works fine, it is just not being recognized. I have a ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED. The drivers I tried to install were not installing from the CD, and also, the website's generic drivers would not install either. I could not find any drivers for this screen either, and when I tried to install other drivers, a pop-up stated that there was no such screen recognized.

Anyways.... I came across one forum, and it seems like it was written back in 2007 or 2008. I was searching on my phone before going to sleep, and saw one solution that I knew would work, but I thought still that the chances were slim (considering everything that I have tried).... but I tried it anyways. I thought for sure, that the monitor had planned obsolescence built into it so that people would be forced to buy new monitors if they are so many years old. Anyways, the issue was a lot simpler than I had imagined....

In fact, the issue was SOOOOOO simple, that I am afraid that with all of our technological findings, we forget the simple things.....

So the issue was.... somehow.... the menu option on my monitor was not reading from a DVI or a VGI input, but it was reading from some sort of a D-Sub input.... whatever that is.... So yes, that was the fix. It works now 100% of the time that I turn on my computer, right after I changed the input from the monitor's menu options to DVI. It was as simple as that, but I tried everything else before I found out that I didn't have to do any of that.... It was just that the menu option somehow got messed up. And yes.... I even tried to test this screen on a different computer and the same thing happened (when it was still turning on and off several times while being connected). So I was shouting to my brother, "IT IS PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE, DUDE!!!! IT IS NOT PROFITABLE FOR THEM TO HAVE PEOPLE KEEP THEIR MONITORS FOREVER OR BEFORE THEY GO OUT!!!!" But.... thank God, this was actually not the case at all. It was just that somehow my menu options got messed up and the monitor input was trying to find something else.... I am still not even sure what D-Sub is....