New build turned on for a fraction of a second then turned off. Haven't been able to get any life since

NickTheMajin

Think that's the power supply? Literally get no life. No lights or fans turn on. 

Cpu psu cable and motherboard cables are in. Gpu is in. Gpu psu cables are in. The power switch and leds are connected. Ram and CPU are in. 

RMA the PSU, that's probably the cause. 

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

What board is it? Most boards have some sort of diagnostic system. Might not be very useful if it doesnt want to power on though.

I take it there were no fumes or anything?

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

What board is it? Most boards have some sort of diagnostic system. Might not be very useful if it doesnt want to power on though.

I take it there were no fumes or anything?

No no fumes. GPU lit up very briefly. Fans spun very briefly. Then nothing. No matter what I do I can't get any life to it now. 

4 minutes ago, Dragonheart said:

RMA the PSU, that's probably the cause. 

slow down there.... Might be worth the paper clip test first to see if the psu has some life in it

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000015319-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test

7 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

Think that's the power supply? Literally get no life. No lights or fans turn on. 

Cpu psu cable and motherboard cables are in. Gpu is in. Gpu psu cables are in. The power switch and leds are connected. Ram and CPU are in. 

Could we have the full system specs?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

slow down there.... Might be worth the paper clip test first to see if the psu has some life in it

This isn't my pc and I didn't choose the parts! 

Its a 980ti

i5 7500

8gb of ram 

b150 asus board (according to the sticker on the board it has the 2002 bios for kabylake)

refurbished PSU from corsair. 600watt (this is what has me worried!)

everything purchased from Newegg. 

2 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

Power supplies are often the problem in builds that don't boot. 

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

1 minute ago, NickTheMajin said:

This isn't my pc and I didn't choose the parts! 

Its a 980ti

i5 7500

8gb of ram 

b150 asus board (according to the sticker on the board it has the 2002 bios for kabylake)

refurbished PSU from corsair. 600watt (this is what has me worried!)

everything purchased from Newegg. 

Have you checked that the motherboard isn't shorting out on something ie the case?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

Have you checked that the motherboard isn't shorting out on something ie the case?

Well right now I have it on the motherboard box so definitely not. 

Just now, NickTheMajin said:

Well right now I have it on the motherboard box so definitely not. 

alright. try the paper clip test as I linked above

if you recently bought the system whole from newegg as in a prebuilt one then you should have warranty and be able to just send back the whole thing for them to solve the issue and send it back to you.

messing around with single components like that might void the ''prebuilt whole system'' warranty or am i wrong?

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

if you recently bought the system whole from newegg as in a prebuilt one then you should have warranty and be able to just send back the whole thing for them to solve the issue and send it back to you.

messing around with single components like that might void the ''prebuilt whole system'' warranty or am i wrong?

Its not a prebuilt

3 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

alright. try the paper clip test as I linked above

So oddly enough I held the motherboard by the CPU heatsink and lifted it vertically to check the back of it from the box and the fan began spinning and the GPU light began flickering off and on quickly. It remained on till I switched the powerswitch on the PSU to off again. 

Does this mean something isn't plugged in all the way? I'm fairly certain the 24pin and 8pin are both in securely. 

Just now, NickTheMajin said:

So oddly enough I held the motherboard by the CPU heatsink and lifted it vertically to check the back of it from the box and the fan began spinning and the GPU light began flickering off and on quickly. It remained on till I switched the powerswitch on the PSU to off again. 

Does this mean something isn't plugged in all the way? I'm fairly certain the 24pin and 8pin are both in securely. 

motherboard standoffs not well installed and causing a short?

2 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

Its on the motherboard box. 

what was it on when it was'nt working?

3 minutes ago, Howitz said:

motherboard standoffs not well installed and causing a short?

its on the motherboard box............

3 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

yes, i'd say something isn't in correctly. unplug everything and start plugging in again making sure everything "clicks". Some more video of the connectors and lights would have helped.

3 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

Case power switch, GPU, cpu, ram, 8pin and 24pin and gpu power connectors

sorry i meant what was ''it'' on not ''in on'' i guess it was still on the box.

but yeah as astrosheen said, replugging everything well, (check inside the connectors for loose/bent pins or damage) and also make sure everything is standing on a non-conductive surface like your box and be careful for static discharges.

Yeah nothing. I unplugged everything and replugged it all in. Everything clicked. Haven't even been able to get the brief life to replicate itself. 

While I wait for the RMA one thing did strike me. 

The CPU is only compatible with a bios update. The board says as of bios 2002 it's compatible which came out in september. According to a sticker on the board, I'm fairly certain that the bios was 2002 since the last four digits on the sticker were 2002. 

Even if if that wasn't correct though, and the bios wasn't updated, wouldn't the fans still spin and leds turn on and I'd just get a "CPU not compatible message before post" surely wouldn't cause the no life symptom right?