Will selecting the format option during a Windows install completely erase all existing partitions on a drive?

Bleedingyamato

I want to do a clean install of Windows on the Sansung 960 Pro I currently have Windows installed on.

Since I know there's recovery partitions that can't be erased by disk management I want to be sure that if I use the format option that is available during the Windows install process that it'll remove all the partitions including recovery partitions that are currently on the 960 Pro. 

You remove all the partitions by clicking "delete" not "format".

You will then be left with ONE box called "unallocated space" which is where you install windows.

Image result for windows install unallocated

You click next and it will create all the necessary partitions.

Remember to only have one drive plugged in while installing windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No. Format does not completely erase the disk. Format will remove all protections for the drive, though.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You remove all the partitions by clicking "delete" not "format".

You will then be left with ONE box called "unallocated space" which is where you install windows.

Image result for windows install unallocated

You click next and it will create all the necessary partitions.

Remember to only have one drive plugged in while installing windows.

Thank you.  ? 

I remember last year when I was trying to erase the WD Blue drive that had originally had Windows installed on it I had tried to use disk management to completely erase the drive including removing the Windows recovery partitions but it couldn't erase the recovery partitions.  

I ended up using a command prompt with the "clean" command I think it was to hardcore erase the drive which solved the problem.  

I wanted to make sure that I could wipe the drive including any recovery partitions during the Windows install process so I won't have to boot from a different drive and erase the 960 Pro that way.  

What's the difference between the erase and format options?

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No. Format does not completely erase the disk. Format will remove all protections for the drive, though.

Are you sure?    I know when I format a USB flash drive it always warns me that it'll erase what's on it.  

So like Enderman said, I need to use the erase option if I need to erase partitions?

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Thank you.  ? 

I remember last year when I was trying to erase the WD Blue drive that had originally had Windows installed on it I had tried to use disk management to completely erase the drive including removing the Windows recovery partitions but it couldn't erase the recovery partitions.  

I ended up using a command prompt with the "clean" command I think it was to hardcore erase the drive which solved the problem.  

I wanted to make sure that I could wipe the drive including any recovery partitions during the Windows install process so I won't have to boot from a different drive and erase the 960 Pro that way.  

What's the difference between the erase and format options?

You mean delete and format?

Format just wipes the data, deleting wipes the whole partition.

If you format, you will be left with 3-4 small partitions with no data on them, and when you install windows it will make it's own partitions again so you will be left with small useless partitions taking up space on your drive.

When you delete the partitions they get recombined into the unallocated space, so you end up with one big chunk of undivided storage which covers your entire drive.

Windows always rebuilds the partitions it needs, so this way you are left with exactly what windows needs and not any extra useless stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

snip

For the Windows install, delete means that it will completely forget the partitions existed without zeroing the drive. Formatting them will leave empty space that will recombine itself if allowed. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You mean delete and format?

Format just wipes the data, deleting wipes the whole partition.

If you format, you will be left with 3-4 small partitions with no data on them, and when you install windows it will make it's own partitions again so you will be left with small useless partitions taking up space on your drive.

When you delete the partitions they get recombined into the unallocated space, so you end up with one big chunk of undivided storage which covers your entire drive.

Windows always rebuilds the partitions it needs, so this way you are left with exactly what windows needs and not any extra useless stuff.

Yeah, the delete and erase in the Windows Setup picture you showed in your post.  

26 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

For the Windows install, delete means that it will completely forget the partitions existed without zeroing the drive. Formatting them will leave empty space that will recombine itself if allowed. 

Ok.  Just wanted to be sure I understand how the options work before I go trying to do this.

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Neither of them zero the drive.

It is also not necessary to overwrite a drive unless you have sensitive data on it that needs to be destroyed.

They just erase the address table, and in the case of deleting the partition it removes the container as well.

Formatting will not recombine partitions, that's what deleting does, it combines them all into unallocated space.

All you need to install windows is a single drive with no partitions, just "unallocated space".

Windows creates all the necessary partitions itself.

If you try to manually create partitions beforehand, windows will just create it's own and you will have like 8 tiny partitions on your drive with only half of them used.

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Neither of them zero the drive.

It is also not necessary to overwrite a drive unless you have sensitive data on it that needs to be destroyed.

They just erase the address table, and in the case of deleting the partition it removes the container as well.

Formatting will not recombine partitions, that's what deleting does, it combines them all into unallocated space.

All you need to install windows is a single drive with no partitions, just "unallocated space".

Windows creates all the necessary partitions itself.

If you try to manually create partitions beforehand, windows will just create it's own and you will have like 8 tiny partitions on your drive with only half of them used.

I'm not worried about overwriting the 960 pro but rather I want to make sure all existing Windows recovery partitions are removed before proceeding with reinstalling Windows since the only way I know of to remove them is that clean command which would erase the entire drive.   That wouldn't be a good option if I'd have already installed Windows.  

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm not worried about overwriting the 960 pro but rather I want to make sure all existing Windows recovery partitions are removed before proceeding with reinstalling Windows since the only way I know of to remove them is that clean commend which would erase the entire drive.   That wouldn't be a good option if I'd have already installed Windows.  

The recovery partitions and stuff is what you delete at that screen, turning it into unallocated space.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The recovery partitions and stuff is what you delete at that screen, turning it into unallocated space.

Cool.    Thank you again.

Now the question do I do this now or later next week?    Part of me wants to get it done but knowing I'll have to reinstall programs and show Steam/GOG/ITunes where their library folders are makes me want to wait.  

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Cool.    Thank you again.

Now the question do I do this now or later next week?    Part of me wants to get it done but knowing I'll have to reinstall programs and show Steam/GOG/ITunes where their library folders are makes me want to wait.  

Next week, spend a week preparing like making a list of all your programs, backing up files and stuff.

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm not worried about overwriting the 960 pro but rather I want to make sure all existing Windows recovery partitions are removed before proceeding with reinstalling Windows since the only way I know of to remove them is that clean command which would erase the entire drive.   That wouldn't be a good option if I'd have already installed Windows.  

You can actually run "clean" without installing Windows once you're in the installer. For your purposes, you don't have to use the "clean" command. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Next week, spend a week preparing like making a list of all your programs, backing up files and stuff.

I've already got all the installers I'd need to replace the program's I have on my C drive.  

Pretty much all that's on it is a few programs and a small number of games that would just need to be redownloaded.  

So it's pretty much just a matter of when I feel like doing the reinstall of Windows and getting things setup afterwards.  

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can actually run "clean" without installing Windows once you're in the installer. For your purposes, you don't have to use the "clean" command. 

How would you do that without a command prompt?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How would you do that without a command prompt?

When you have the install media plugged in, you click on "Repair [whatever it says]" and select Command Prompt. Afterwards, you type "diskpart" and you're in.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

I forgot to ask: why did you say I should only have the 960 pro connected when I do the reinstall of Windows?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I forgot to ask: why did you say I should only have the 960 pro connected when I do the reinstall of Windows?

Sometimes, Windows will install the bootloader and some other files on another drive, but I haven't seen that issue since Vista.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

just in case you never know. shit happens

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

1) prevents windows for accidentally putting partitions on incorrect drives

2) prevents you from accidentally deleting all your data on your other drives when you delete all the partitions

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Sometimes, Windows will install the bootloader and some other files on another drive, but I haven't seen that issue since Vista.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

1) prevents windows for accidentally putting partitions on incorrect drives

2) prevents you from accidentally deleting all your data on your other drives when you delete all the partitions

Note to self: before pressing the power button on my computer after unplugging the other storage drives it usually helps to turn the PSU back on first...  ?

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Either of you know what an "Intel Network Connection SNMP agent" is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol

It isn't too important IMO.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler