Is nas worth it

For what purpose is nas really worth it? If I have to store something just for backup like my YouTube videos should I use nas or a cloud storage which gives unlimited storage at 5$ per month. I am kinda confused as if to buy or not and why so can anyone help me? Thank you 

Depends on what your needs are. Calculate how much it would cost to buy a hard drive only for archival purposes, how much for a custom NAS/QNAP/Synology, and a cloud solution. Then make a decision.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Depends on what your needs are. Calculate how much it would cost to buy a hard drive only for archival purposes, how much for a custom NAS/QNAP/Synology, and a cloud solution. Then make a decision.

also NASs are mostly used for privacy now, you keep all your data rather than somebody else. 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

i will be storing stuff like 4k youtube videos which I am saving just for backup, music,movies and TV shows

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

also NASs are mostly used for privacy now, you keep all your data rather than somebody else. 

But if the data is too large you have to save it in cloud anyway. Isn't it?

Just now, apaar123 said:

But if the data is too large you have to save it in cloud anyway. Isn't it?

most data can be saved to the cloud.  

Just now, apaar123 said:

i will be storing stuff like 4k youtube videos which I am saving just for backup, music,movies and TV shows

Okay...

So calculate $5 per month over the amount of time that you'll be storing the data if that is what meets your goals.

Build or buy a NAS from Ebay and calculate [COST] divided by [NUMBER OF MONTHS AS ABOVE] to see which is cheaper.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

cloud storage which gives unlimited storage at 5$ per month.

compared to this, a NAS would give you the advantage of actually getting what you pay for and not have it randomly disappear when they close up shop ;)

i dont believe you found a $5/mo unlimited cloud storage, and even if you did it'd be shady AF and probably not advisable.

that said, why in the world would you store 4K youtube videos?

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Okay...

So calculate $5 per month over the amount of time that you'll be storing the data if that is what meets your goals.

Build or buy a NAS from Ebay and calculate [COST] divided by [NUMBER OF MONTHS AS ABOVE] to see which is cheaper.

If just for my 4k videos easily cloud 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

compared to this, a NAS would give you the advantage of actually getting what you pay for and not have it randomly disappear when they close up shop ;)

i dont believe you found a $5/mo unlimited cloud storage, and even if you did it'd be shady AF and probably not advisable.

that said, why in the world would you store 4K youtube videos?

Because they are my videos? And I have found backblaze b2 which doesn't seem shady. Their only limitation is that for downloading your data cost is 0.02 per gb

Just now, apaar123 said:

Because they are my videos?

why would you upload them to youtube, and then to a cloud storage service tho? once they're on youtube they are on "a cloud storage service"

and if you want to store your self made videos, store them in a better way, and store them locally. the money you'll spend on cloud storage that's trustworthy enough to put data on you dont have locally is WAY too expensive even compared to buying a freaking tape drive, in the long run.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

why would you upload them to youtube, and then to a cloud storage service tho? once they're on youtube they are on "a cloud storage service"

and if you want to store your self made videos, store them in a better way, and store them locally. the money you'll spend on cloud storage that's trustworthy enough to put data on you dont have locally is WAY too expensive even compared to buying a freaking tape drive, in the long run.

I will store them because I by any chance my account have some problems I will still have the videos. And I would have stored them locally but I have to backup them in case of drive failure 

Just now, apaar123 said:

I will store them because I by any chance my account have some problems I will still have the videos. And I would have stored them locally but I have to backup them in case of drive failure 

anything cloud thats cheaper than buying a pair of 3TB toshiba's and a usb SATA dock is less reliable than a single drive ;)

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

anything cloud thats cheaper than buying a pair of 3TB toshiba's and a usb SATA dock is less reliable than a single drive ;)

Well reviews seems good for it

Just now, apaar123 said:

Well reviews seems good for it

for what exactly?

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

for what exactly?

Well leave that you have amazon 

Just now, apaar123 said:

Well leave that you have amazon 

???

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

???

I can store my files in amazon cloud 

Just now, apaar123 said:

I can store my files in amazon cloud 

amazon cloud is NOT $5/mo, it is actually more expensive than storing your files on freaking LTO-7 tape.

37 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I dont believe you found a $5/mo unlimited cloud storage, and even if you did it'd be shady AF and probably not advisable.

Backblaze and Crashplan are also only $5~/month.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Backblaze and Crashplan are also only $5~/month.

Yeah but i heard about blackblaze that if I remove the file from hard disk it will be removed from there 

3 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

Yeah but i heard about blackblaze that if I remove the file from hard disk it will be removed from there 

"If we determine that your use ... harms our interests," your account can be suspended or restricted.

in other words, if they decide you upload too much crap, they reserve the right to wipe everything.

EDIT: also, this one:

substantially exceeds or differs from normal use by other users,

If all you want to do is backup, just get an offsite backup external hard drive (or multiple drives). It will be much cheaper than building a server or buying a premade nas, and you don't have the speed of your internet being a bottleneck as you would with cloud storage.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Just now, njmyers3 said:

If all you want to do is backup, just get an offsite backup external hard drive (or multiple drives). It will be much cheaper than building a server or buying a premade nas, and you don't have the speed of your internet being a bottleneck.

A home NAS wouldn't be limited by the speed of his internet but rather than speed of is LAN, which is more than likely not going to be a problem. And multiple drives for a backup sucks, having a single target array in a NAS is so much easier, especially so if you want to back up multiple devices.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.