1080 TI EVGA SC2 COIL WHINE!

Hey all! I just got my EVGA 1080 TI SC2 in the mail and I LOVE the card! It pairs very well with my new Acer Predator XB271HU and the performance is AMAZING! G-Sync is incredible and I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a 60hz panel.

Performance was as expected on my first uses in WoW and Heroes, and I did not notice any faults with the card itself. I just got home from work and fired up my machine and *gasp* on the loading screen of WoW I heard coil whine from my card. My tower is roughly 4 ft from my ears, and it's a pretty open case -- the cooler master HAF X Full tower.

As of right now I have only played WoW and the whine is present during gameplay, not just loading screens. I will keep this post updated as I play other games!

I just wanted to inform anyone that might be thinking of buying this card, as it is no small investment. I'm debating whether or not I should send it back to EVGA or Newegg and go for another one. It feels like a lot of trouble just for coil whine, but that can be a deal breaker for a lot of people, especially at this price point!

Best of luck to you folks shopping for your 1080 ti !

Did you try to limit your fps to your refresh rate with something like MSI afterburner? I also got some coil whine in games where I had a crazy fps.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

12 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Did you try to limit your fps to your refresh rate with something like MSI afterburner? I also got some coil whine in games where I had a crazy fps.

I haven't tried that yet, I wouldn't like to considering I just bought a very high refresh rate panel but thank you for the tip!

Limiting it to your monitor's refresh rate should be enough. It's 144hz? Limit it to 144. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

11 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Limiting it to your monitor's refresh rate should be enough. It's 144hz? Limit it to 144. 

I tried limiting frames to 144 but in WoW it still has coil whine, especially on the loading screens. There is no coil whine in Heroes of the Storm or GTA V

14 hours ago, Nfrahm1 said:

I'm debating whether or not I should send it back to EVGA or Newegg and go for another one. It feels like a lot of trouble just for coil whine, but that can be a deal breaker for a lot of people, especially at this price point!

Best of luck to you folks shopping for your 1080 ti !

It's just luck of the draw.  All card models regardless of manufacturer or model can have a few that have coil whine.  You just need to determine if it's enough to bug you that much.  Based on your post, I would say it is enough to bug you so just RMA it and get another.  

I've had four six EVGA 1080 Ti cards, all of which had EK waterblocks mounted and in a dead silent room.  None produced any noise at all.  Luck of the draw.