Top Fan Placement

I have a question. As you can see, i have 2 top mounted 120 mm fans. Question is, is it better to mount the front-most fan as intake? I get it, hot air goes up, but when the fan is oriented as exhaust, i was thinking my cpu cooler is getting deprived by air as it goes to the exhaust front top fan instead. so i mounted it as intake. Also, as the front fans is filtered and push less air, I thought mounting it as exhaust makes my set-up create negative pressure.Any suggestions? i have 3 120 intake fans in the front, 2 120 exhaust in the rear and rear-top plus the in question top 120 fan. 

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

1 minute ago, PasitimusD said:

I have a question. As you can see, i have 2 top mounted 120 mm fans. Question is, is it better to mount the front-most fan as intake? I get it, hot air goes up, but when the fan is oriented as exhaust, i was thinking my cpu cooler is getting deprived by air as it goes to the exhaust front top fan instead. so i mounted it as intake. Also, as the front fans is filtered and push less air, I thought mounting it as exhaust makes my set-up create negative pressure.Any suggestions? i have 3 120 intake fans in the front, 2 120 exhaust in the rear and rear-top plus the in question top 120 fan. 

Put it as exhaust you already have 3 intake and you will have 3 exhaust to balance it, having the front intake like that will tend to cause the air to recirculate back into the system unless there is a baffle. For positive pressure you can run the intake at a higher rpm leading to more intake volume than the exhaust. 

Also are those the NZXT RGB fans they have a pretty nice glow effect. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Put it as exhaust you already have 3 intake and you will have 3 exhaust to balance it, having the front intake like that will tend to cause the air to recirculate back into the system unless there is a baffle. For positive pressure you can run the intake at a higher rpm leading to more intake volume than the exhaust. 

Also are those the NZXT RGB fans they have a pretty nice glow effect. 

They are local fans bought here in the Philippines. Omega Halo 120 RGB fans. Unfortunately, i cant increas the RPM of the front fans as all six fans are controlled together and have low and high settings only. Im thinking the Rear fan and the rear-top fan is exhausting more air than the 3 front intake fans are pushing inside the case as they are filtered. I will try experimenting though. But thank you very much for the feed back. :D

2 minutes ago, PasitimusD said:

They are local fans bought here in the Philippines. Omega Halo 120 RGB fans. Unfortunately, i cant increas the RPM of the front fans as all six fans are controlled together and have low and high settings only. Im thinking the Rear fan and the rear-top fan is exhausting more air than the 3 front intake fans are pushing inside the case as they are filtered. I will try experimenting though. But thank you very much for the feed back. :D

Nice, they are different, and you can wire them as a set of three to the motherboard to split the intake and exhaust fans to give you group control. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Nice, they are different, and you can wire them as a set of three to the motherboard to split the intake and exhaust fans to give you group control. 

oh i forgot to mention, they are controlled by a fan controller which is not connected to the motherboard. And correction, they are OMEGA NOVA 120 fans, not halo. :)

Just now, PasitimusD said:

oh i forgot to mention, they are controlled by a fan controller which is not connected to the motherboard. And correction, they are OMEGA NOVA 120 fans, not halo. :)

Why not wire it to the motherboard you can setup fan curves in the BIOS and have it vary speeds between load and such. It's up to you but I usually suggest to have it on the motherboard.

30 minutes ago, W-L said:

Why not wire it to the motherboard you can setup fan curves in the BIOS and have it vary speeds between load and such. It's up to you but I usually suggest to have it on the motherboard.

fans are 6 pin. They are meant to be controlled by the included controller. otherwise you can control the lighting :D

3 minutes ago, PasitimusD said:

fans are 6 pin. They are meant to be controlled by the included controller. otherwise you can control the lighting :D

Oh that's less convenient being a non-standard connector, but pretty nice still. 

• 4 months later...

Can you buy the omega halo anywhere in the US or Canada?

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell