*BRAIN SURGERY!!* (Phenom II X4 925 transplant)

Go to solution Solved by ENIAC1946,

Well, I  did the best I could. I totally cheaped out on the case, so don't freak out.

Here are the results: $155USD with $45 MIR (pending)

Order Summary

Qty Product Description Price
Shipping from NJ, USA  
AZZA CSAZ-207S Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811517042
Standard Return Policy

$29.99
Shipping from IN, USA  
MSI 970A-G43 Plus AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 & SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130922
Standard Return Policy

$59.99
CORSAIR VS Series VS500 (CP-9020118-NA) 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139196
Standard Return Policy

$39.99
Cooler Master Hyper T4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes
Item #: N82E16835103182
Standard Return Policy

$24.99
Subtotal $154.96
Tax $0.00
Super Eggsaver (4-7 bus. days) $4.84
Order Total $159.80

shutupandtakemymoney_2.jpg

untitled-14sty.png

th (5).jpg

***IMPORTANT: This is a request for help selecting an AMD mobo. No Intel or nVidia suggestions please.***

I'm broke, but I want to try moving from PS3 to AMD PC to play ROTR and BF1 (lock 60fps@1080i), with the possibility of spending more money in the distant future.
Here are the parts I have:

Phenom II X4 925 (2.8ghz, AM3 socket)
8GB DDR3 PC3-10600 MB/sec (4x2GB, PC1333??)
WD Green 1TB 5400
802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card
assorted fans
DVD-RW ROM (extra part; might not be used)
BLURAY ROM (extra part; might not be used)
32" Panasonic LCD (720p & 1080i)
salvaged from pre-built HP : HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112y Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Here is what I want:
RX 480 4GB/8GB (>$200USD)
Mobo (need help)
Case (need help)
PSU (no suggestions needed)
SSD (no suggestions needed)

Here are the mobos being considered:
BIOSTAR TA970 Ver. 5.3 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com
ASRock 970M Pro3 AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 + AMD SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard-Newegg.com
ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G (780L) / SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboards - AMD - Newegg.com

Budget for April 2017: $100-$150USD

Comment below your thoughts, racial slurs, harsh criticisms, personal judgments, insults, and general disappointments with my involvement in humanity.
Thank your for your time, Kids, may your chimichangas always be crispy and delicious.
-John Smith (ENIAC1946)

BONUS ROUND! Here are the cases I'm looking at (>$50USD)
DIYPC  DIY-F2-O Black/Orange USB 3.0 Micro-ATX Mini Tower Gaming Computer Case with 2 x Orange LED Fans (Pre-installed)-

LOGISYS Computer CS368RB Red & Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply-Newegg.com

AZZA CSAZ-208S Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
iMicro CA-IM552U3 No Power Supply ATX Mid Tower (Black)
FRYS.com | Raidmax
Bitfenix Nova ATX Tower Window Case
Guardian 921RB Red PC Gaming Case = Computer Gaming Case - NZXT **FAVORITE

deadpool-you-have-failed-me-brain.jpg

Umm. What can I say. First, you don't need both a DVD ROM and a BlueRay Drive since the BlueRay one will likely be able to read both DVDs and BlueRays. Also, I wouldn't go for an AM3+ based system since those CPUs are struggling in games due to poor single threaded performance. I would get a used like i5 2500(k) which will likely outperform the Phenom. You can get those for quite low prices online. Then, I wouldn't go for a 5400RPM hard drive since it can take quite a while for games to load. The RX480 seems like a solid choice, you should go for one, those are (imo) the best bang for the buck video cards that you can get right now. 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

1 minute ago, Lolucoca said:

Umm. What can I say. First, you don't need both a DVD ROM and a BlueRay Drive since the BlueRay one will likely be able to read both DVDs and BlueRays. Also, I wouldn't go for an AM3+ based system since those CPUs are struggling in games due to poor single threaded performance. I would get a used like i5 2500(k) which will likely outperform the Phenom. You can get those for quite low prices online. Then, I wouldn't go for a 5400RPM hard drive since it can take quite a while for games to load. The RX480 seems like a solid choice, you should go for one, those are (imo) the best bang for the buck video cards that you can get right now. 

Thank you for you awesome response! My apologies for the misunderstanding; there is no budget for parts outside the case, mobo, and psu.

Also, screw Intel and everything they stand for. (long story)

Just now, Nicnac said:

If you wanna go phenom I'd at least take a used 1090T. Even better would be a cheap fx series cpu

Thank you for you awesome response! My apologies for the misunderstanding; there is no budget for parts outside the case, mobo, and psu.

Also, screw nVidia and everything they stand for. (long story)

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

If you wanna go phenom I'd at least take a used 1090T. Even better would be a cheap fx series cpu

PS: In the future, I will get a newer AMD processor, but like, not for 1yr or more. That's why the mobo selection is of semi-importance.

4 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Fry's has a deal right now for the 330R, it would be better than any case you're looking at under 50. 

http://www.frys.com/product/6901567?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

box_31b.jpg

This for 4/2 to 4/8

Make sure to sign up for Fry's promo code emails to get the $10 promo code discount. 

You, my friend, just earned yourself an extra scoop of figurative guacamole.

I wouldn't recommend any of those motherboards.  I'm not a fan of Biostar or ASRock, and that Asus board is an older generation (I've worked with it at the store I work for, and it's not even as good as the Gigabyte GA-78LMT).  I'd go with this Gigabyte 970 board instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602&cm_re=socket_am3%2b_970-_-13-128-602-_-Product

42 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I wouldn't recommend any of those motherboards.  I'm not a fan of Biostar or ASRock, and that Asus board is an older generation (I've worked with it at the store I work for, and it's not even as good as the Gigabyte GA-78LMT).  I'd go with this Gigabyte 970 board instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602&cm_re=socket_am3%2b_970-_-13-128-602-_-Product

A bit pricier than I would l like, BUT, you've convinced me to seriously consider it. LTT likes Gigabyte, so maybe I should too??

As a reward, here is a zero calorie taco:

┈┈┈┈╭╯╭╯╭╯┈┈┈┈┈

┈┈┈╱▔▔▔▔▔╲▔╲┈┈┈

┈┈╱┈╭╮┈╭╮┈╲╮╲┈┈

┈┈▏┈▂▂▂▂▂┈▕╮▕┈┈

┈┈▏┈╲▂▂▂╱┈▕╮▕┈┈

┈┈╲▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂╲╱┈┈.

I agree that those MOBO's are a bit eeeh, but the Biostars seem to do well for the AUS folks, so?

Just stay away from MSI AM3(+) boards. The two I have are both acting up and there's threads elsewhere about them lighting on fire.

I don't think the CPU you have is ulockable, but if you get a decent board you should be able to Clock speed Overclock. I'll give you more in a moment.

1 hour ago, Mothballs said:

I agree that those MOBO's are a bit eeeh, but the Biostars seem to do well for the AUS folks, so?

Just stay away from MSI AM3(+) boards. The two I have are both acting up and there's threads elsewhere about them lighting on fire.

I don't think the CPU you have is ulockable, but if you get a decent board you should be able to Clock speed Overclock. I'll give you more in a moment.

We carry the MSI Krait AM3+ boards where I work, and we haven't had any issues with them so far.

3 hours ago, ENIAC1946 said:

A bit pricier than I would l like, BUT, you've convinced me to seriously consider it. LTT likes Gigabyte, so maybe I should too??

As a reward, here is a zero calorie taco:

┈┈┈┈╭╯╭╯╭╯┈┈┈┈┈

┈┈┈╱▔▔▔▔▔╲▔╲┈┈┈

┈┈╱┈╭╮┈╭╮┈╲╮╲┈┈

┈┈▏┈▂▂▂▂▂┈▕╮▕┈┈

┈┈▏┈╲▂▂▂╱┈▕╮▕┈┈

┈┈╲▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂╲╱┈┈.

Mmmm, yummy!

There's also the micro-ATX 78LMT board I mentioned, which is the Gigabyte version of that Asus board.  The one caveat I would mention if you go with this board, is that the SATA ports default to IDE mode instead of AHCI.  So long as you change that before installing Windows, you should be fine.  We've done numerous budget builds using this board and they've all worked spectacularly.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565&cm_re=gigabyte_ga-78lmt-usb3-_-13-128-565-_-Product

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

We carry the MSI Krait AM3+ boards where I work, and we haven't had any issues with them so far.

I have one of those. Wasn't overly impressed. Though It did support a 1090t... 
Might switch it back to that board and see if that's any better for the gift computer...

I also have an old MSI 890fxa-gd65 that's decided to run at 5.8 V across the 5V rail. I: Hoping it's just the PSU, getting it checked Wednesday. Died randomly so I started poking around and found that out...

Back to the topic at hand. If you are okay with going used, If you can grab anything with the 890 Chipset it's a good bet. Canada has slimmer pickings, but other areas have better distribution of used parts I find. Though there is someone In Vancouver selling a M4A89TD PRO with a 1090t for $140...

Anyways, If you're not afraid of scrounging, there should be a slew of those motherboards used, and they might be marginally better then the mATX offerings.

Other then that, I'm pretty inclined to agree with Jito.

3 hours ago, Mothballs said:

Thank you for your awesome reply! You shall be spared Montezuma's Revenge. (That's a poop joke)

Story-time:

Built an HD Rig in 2005 with an MSi K8VMM; ran until Jan 2014 because I simply put it in storage. Never an issue, longest run time with no restarts and no reboot of any kind? 18 months in 2011-2012. Pulled it out of storage 6 months ago, booted right up. Crazy huh?? 

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Thank you sir! You're ***damn hero. *salutes*

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Mmmm, yummy!

There's also the micro-ATX 78LMT board I mentioned, which is the Gigabyte version of that Asus board.  The one caveat I would mention if you go with this board, is that the SATA ports default to IDE mode instead of AHCI.  So long as you change that before installing Windows, you should be fine.  We've done numerous budget builds using this board and they've all worked spectacularly.

giphy.gif

...Excellent. A serious contender. However I may go wit the mobo that gives me the most future proofing for that day when, I'm lonely, pathetic, and single...but not broke.

9 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

Thank you for your awesome reply! You shall be spared Montezuma's Revenge. (That's a poop joke)

Story-time:

Built an HD Rig in 2005 with an MSi K8VMM; ran until Jan 2014 because I simply put it in storage. Never an issue, longest run time with no restarts and no reboot of any kind? 18 months in 2011-2012. Pulled it out of storage 6 months ago, booted right up. Crazy huh?? 

You're lucky then. We bin sooooo many AM3 MSI boards at Freegeek Van. Mostly boards from 2008 onwards seem to have big issues, and especially the AM3 boards. Usually the VRMs go. As Before stated, sometimes with fire. Something about trying to support 4+ core processors with a not so great 4+1 power phase.

The AM3+ platform, as much as I love it, is basically Near it's end. Not much future proofing to be had. With a strong OC Processors on it can keep up with budget gaming rigs of today, But It's not something I'd expect to carry you longer then another two or three years. This is one of the few cases where I think you're fully justified in taking a slightly lesser Mobo. If you're aiming at future proofing anything, aim for the GPU, PSU, Case and SSD that you like the most. Those can be carried over to a new CPU and Mobo, where the DDR3 RAM and the AM3(+) System, not so much.

1 minute ago, Mothballs said:

You're lucky then. We bin sooooo many AM3 MSI boards at Freegeek Van. Mostly boards from 2008 onwards seem to have big issues, and especially the AM3 boards. Usually the VRMs go. As Before stated, sometimes with fire. Something about trying to support 4+ core processors with a not so great 4+1 power phase.

The AM3+ platform, as much as I love it, is basically Near it's end. Not much future proofing to be had. With a strong OC Processors on it can keep up with budget gaming rigs of today, But It's not something I'd expect to carry you longer then another two or three years. This is one of the few cases where I think you're fully justified in taking a slightly lesser Mobo. If you're aiming at future proofing anything, aim for the GPU, PSU, Case and SSD that you like the most. Those can be carried over to a new CPU and Mobo, where the DDR3 RAM and the AM3(+) System, not so much.

You need to stop it right now or you're gonna end up with a marriage proposal, mister!

That's exactly what i am attempting to do; build something now that, but with components that can be swapped to a better build in 1-2 years when budget allows. Mobo/PSU/and case this month, RX 480 8GB next month, newer CPU in 6 months, new mobo and CPU and RAM next year during Black Friday 2018.

It's not about what you buy, it's about when, and holidays in the USA are a feeding frenzy of savings.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Mmmm, yummy!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565&cm_re=gigabyte_ga-78lmt-usb3-_-13-128-565-_-Product

PS:

Also, don't ask for help choosing a budget mobo for a pre-existing cpu on AMD forums, those users are MEAN.

2 hours ago, Mothballs said:

I have one of those. Wasn't overly impressed. Though It did support a 1090t... 
Might switch it back to that board and see if that's any better for the gift computer...

I also have an old MSI 890fxa-gd65 that's decided to run at 5.8 V across the 5V rail. I: Hoping it's just the PSU, getting it checked Wednesday. Died randomly so I started poking around and found that out...

Back to the topic at hand. If you are okay with going used, If you can grab anything with the 890 Chipset it's a good bet. Canada has slimmer pickings, but other areas have better distribution of used parts I find. Though there is someone In Vancouver selling a M4A89TD PRO with a 1090t for $140...

Anyways, If you're not afraid of scrounging, there should be a slew of those motherboards used, and they might be marginally better then the mATX offerings.

Other then that, I'm pretty inclined to agree with Jito.

I considered used, but the southeastern US is primarily rural farmland, and as such, virtually no secondhand market or resources in my area. eBay is the only used option and the average seller wants almost what the mobo costs new, so no benefit there. Unless you know of a manufacturer honoring the warranty without requiring POP. So new-old-stock it be, my wise, and most-certainly-handsome-and-seducing-many-females-in-real-life, friend.

: D

9 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

PS:

Also, don't ask for help choosing a budget mobo for a pre-existing cpu on AMD forums, those users are MEAN.

AMD Users who stick to their own fourms and subtopics also will tell you that you "Can't overclock  it like that, won't work with that cooling" etc.

I find if any group gets too focused on one thing it starts getting rough. I love AMD, but If Someone's only gaming and they want the absolute best Single threaded, I'll happily say to get a 7700K. (If there's any wiggle room that they might use if for something other then just gaming, or they're looking at an i5, Ryzen it is)

2 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

I considered used, but the southeastern US is primarily rural farmland, and as such, virtually no secondhand market or resources in my area. eBay is the only used option and the average seller wants almost what the mobo costs new, so no benefit there. Unless you know of a manufacturer honoring the warranty without requiring POP. So new-old-stock it be, my wise, and most-certainly-handsome-and-seducing-many-females-in-real-life, friend.

: D

Try some of the Buy and sell Fourms / Facebook pages. If there is one thing I've learned, it's that Used stuff is a universal constant.

Also, if you have recycling infrastructure at all there, see where their electronics go. It's of my experience that there are more people in the USA who assign no value to older products then most other places.

Also, Ebay and Paypal will happily F#^% the seller before they ruin your day. Refunds are the easiest thing to get. It's why I don't sell online; Too many people scamming sellers. Fightable, but usually not worth it.

Well, I  did the best I could. I totally cheaped out on the case, so don't freak out.

Here are the results: $155USD with $45 MIR (pending)

Order Summary

Qty Product Description Price
Shipping from NJ, USA  
AZZA CSAZ-207S Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811517042
Standard Return Policy

$29.99
Shipping from IN, USA  
MSI 970A-G43 Plus AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 & SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130922
Standard Return Policy

$59.99
CORSAIR VS Series VS500 (CP-9020118-NA) 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139196
Standard Return Policy

$39.99
Cooler Master Hyper T4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes
Item #: N82E16835103182
Standard Return Policy

$24.99
Subtotal $154.96
Tax $0.00
Super Eggsaver (4-7 bus. days) $4.84
Order Total $159.80

shutupandtakemymoney_2.jpg