CPU upgrade, which option to keep for a good amount of time?

Hi everyone.

So i'm looking on which next upgrade to go from my Sandy Bridge i3, right now i can't decide of which cpu settle for a determined period either from AMD or Intel. 

I don't usually upgrade too much, i take my time to save up money. I'm looking for something that can give me a very good price/performance and also something that i can stay with it for a good amount of time. I find more easier to upgrade the GPU or other components that the CPU, so it's a MUST that the CPU i choose i can stay for a good amount of time. 

I know, tech evolves fast but unfortunately i can't upgrade every two years or so for a new platform.

My main uses at the moment are school related work from university and gaming.

For school related i don't do anything to intensive just programming projects/exercises and using MS Office(reports and that stuff). Maybe some software for my electronics classes but again, nothing to complicated or big.

For gaming well i would like to get a 144Hz 1080p monitor, to be able to reach 144fps on games like CS:GO, Rocket League (if it's possible) and fps or games that are a little demanding that can take advantage of 144Hz refresh rate. But on more demanding triple A titles just getting 60fps i'm fine. I don't have a lot of experience on monitors so if going for a 144Hz monitor it's not ideal in my case just tell me. 

I don't have a determined budget but i'm open for suggestions that meet my usage and see how much i would need to spend on said platform. I just need some options to consider.

Also i could consider going used if it's a good option because the price, i have already some DDR3 ram from my current PC.

Thanks.

Temporary using a Dell Inspiron 14" laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6200U | Memory: 8GB DDR3 | GPU: AMD R5 M315 2GB  | Storage: Western Digital 1TB 5400RPM

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k | Motherboard: Asrock H61M-DGS | Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU: MSI GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | Storage: Samsung 1TB HDD | PSU: Seasonic X-Series 650W

if you are going to stay a long time with the cpu you might want as more cores as possible because for more performance cores will be king in the future as the performance per core is almost at its peak, 

pros/cons of more cores (eg: ryzen cpus): more multitasking capability,a bit less performance on games (mostly not noticeable) beasts for compiling, 3d renders...

pros/cons of less cores(eg: 7600 kaby): reduced multitasking, stutterers a bit ( caused by lack of cores do do background things), somewhat high framerates on games,up to half as good for 3d render, compiling etc....

Well more in the future when i start doing more heavy tasks i would consider going for more cores that's for sure. But right now with my current usage i think can't justify going for a 6 or 8 core for some reason :/

How much difference are on an i5 7600k and a say, a Ryzen 1700? 

Temporary using a Dell Inspiron 14" laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6200U | Memory: 8GB DDR3 | GPU: AMD R5 M315 2GB  | Storage: Western Digital 1TB 5400RPM

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k | Motherboard: Asrock H61M-DGS | Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU: MSI GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | Storage: Samsung 1TB HDD | PSU: Seasonic X-Series 650W