Laptop for productivity and mild gaming

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

I would throw my lot in for the new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series if awful screen isn't a deal breaker (or you can buy a drop-in replacement for another ~$100 USD to replace it).

Otherwise the Lenovo Y700 gets recommendations. HP also has their Omen 15 if you don't mind HP.

I would see about looking into MSI or ASUS, but battery life can be spotty on them. At least from what I've seen in reviews.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a laptop I can use for schoolwork and occasionally playing RTS games and shooters of a similar calibre to Sniper Elite 3 . My budget is around £600-850(750-1050 USD). Thanks in advance and feel free to ask any questions you want.

I would throw my lot in for the new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series if awful screen isn't a deal breaker (or you can buy a drop-in replacement for another ~$100 USD to replace it).

Otherwise the Lenovo Y700 gets recommendations. HP also has their Omen 15 if you don't mind HP.

I would see about looking into MSI or ASUS, but battery life can be spotty on them. At least from what I've seen in reviews.

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

or get a 4k version for dell inspiron 7000. 

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Or move towards the VX 15, which is an identical system at an identical price from Acer but includes an IPS option.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

or get a 4k version for dell inspiron 7000. 

I can't find that anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

Or move towards the VX 15, which is an identical system at an identical price from Acer but includes an IPS option.

A sticking point for me though is how good is the battery life? One review of the Inspiron got 10 hours doing a basic web browsing test at 200-nits.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I can't find that anywhere.

A sticking point for me though is how good is the battery life? One reviewer got 10 hours doing a basic web browsing test at 200-nits.

https://arstechnica.com/staff/2017/03/dealmaster-get-a-4k-dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-notebook-for-just-882/ also watch the ltt or dave lee review.

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

That's the old 7559, I was talking about the new 7567. Which Dell supposedly promised would have a 4K option.

Though if OP can find the Inspiron 15 7559, it's a great option anyway.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A sticking point for me though is how good is the battery life? One review of the Inspiron got 10 hours doing a basic web browsing test at 200-nits.

Dave Lee quoted 4 hours with the display at 250 nits while web browsing, and NotebookCheck quoted 6 hours during their 'WiFi test.'

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

9 minutes ago, Suika said:

Dave Lee quoted 4 hours with the display at 250 nits while web browsing, and NotebookCheck quoted 6 hours during their 'WiFi test.'

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-7567-Gaming-Notebook-Review.196454.0.html

That was the one I saw, but they actually went to 150 nits.

Also just to clear up (and not pointed at you), when I say the Inspiron 15 7000, I mean the 7567 model, not the 7559 model. Dell discontinued selling the 7559 from the US website and so I figured they're following suit in other regions.

4 hours ago, Suika said:

If only they made the laptop look less "gamery" I would have bought it instantly :(