People in North east Victoria Describing NBN "Sheer Hell"

SammoFS
2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Unfortunately, the ISP are that retarded over here that they won't do the work even if you pay for it (or get given $4billion by the government to do it)

Well I will personally apologize to you on behalf of the technilogically retarded and greedy part of humanity.

I vote to walk in to one of the proceedings where your ISPs do something stupid. Then just walk up to them smack them across the face, point at them closely and just say "no!", turn around and walk out.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Well I will personally apologize to you on behalf of the technilogically retarded and greedy part of humanity.

I vote to walk in to one of the proceedings where your ISPs do something stupid. Then just walk up to them smack them across the face, point at them closely and just say "no!", turn around and walk out.

Unfortunately, most of Helstra is located in India.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Same here, I tried to get fibre run once and said money no object just get it done. The answer was no.

Damn, I find it hard to believe that the closest fiber termination point is too far out. Not to mention they buy so much fiber cable in bulk it costs a hell of a lot less, along with less cost of up keep. Sounds more along the lines of "I'm sorry I really don't want to." Which is secretly like you said a "Fuck You."

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Unfortunately, most of Helstra is located in India.

If someone was actually willing to do such a hilarious thing, I would fully cover a plane ticket to India.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Damn, I find it hard to believe that the closest fiber termination point is too far out. Not to mention they buy so much fiber cable in bulk it costs a hell of a lot less, along with less cost of up keep. Sounds more along the lines of "I'm sorry I really don't want to." Which is secretly like you said a "Fuck You."

Yea they are pretty far away when your not in the very central business areas, plus the actual cost is the work/regulations in being allowed to run cabling/ducting of any kind which is the real reason they can't be bothered doing it.

10 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I don't understand why they are running nodes that way in certain areas (within the U.S.) We have a 40gb trunk line that runs into my office from AT&T. Knowing that information, I called them and asked if I paid to run fiber from my closest node (cost me roughly $375) what speeds they would allow. Needless to say, to my house, I am running 5Gb/s to my switch. All for $97 a month. You'd be surprised what they will offer you if you're willing to pay for install requirements.

$375 for a 10gb line and labor? I am not sure thats the whole story....We do custom drops all the time but its a lot more costly than that as the 10gb SFP is probably $375 alone, then labor would easily reach a few thousand dollar with the ONT as well. But that is all dependent on existing fiber as well as the size of the company. I know my company could never charge that little.

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The line rates of those fibres feeding the nodes should be higher now with new installs though? Pretty sure they are here in the towns that are allowed to offer 1Gbps services to homes.

Also that college connection is actually on a different network to NBN too though right? All schools, clinics, libraries etc here in NZ got deployed separately to the UFB network and actually use physically different fibre runs and isn't GPON.

For us it's different again, we're on whats known as the REANNZ network but we operate our own AS and control all the public/private BGP routing between campuses which have multiple 10Gb connections each with the capability to use 40Gb if we wish and the backbone of the network is currently been upgraded to 100Gb equipment an optics. We mostly use this network to replicate production storage and also backups across campuses, a luxury we're more than willing to make use of.

My company is still fairly small for a ISP so we do not offer 1gb lines to residential but do for businesses. But bigger companies do. Especially with our nodes being VDSL2+ and 48 customers a card on a 10gb line can only give them a 200~ connection max.

As for schools on a different network that is true. I did mention the dorms but should of specified that that 10gb pipe is to just the dorms and other residents in the area. We have another 3bg pipe just to the college that is only to the college. As for the dorm part though the connection is setup on 32 splices through GPON while the college is a direct run. 

That is a one hell of a network though that you have and I never heard of REANNZ but will def look into it. 

31 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

$375 for a 10gb line and labor? I am not sure thats the whole story....We do custom drops all the time but its a lot more costly than that as the 10gb SFP is probably $375 alone, then labor would easily reach a few thousand dollar with the ONT as well. But that is all dependent on existing fiber as well as the size of the company. I know my company could never charge that little.

They didn't charge me for labor. Just the SFP and the ONT. I also get a deal with them for using to network with my office. I suppose it could be due to fact that I literally live 200 yards from a brand new node. However, I didn't even think about that to be honest. I suppose I should have.

AT&T is also the largest "wired" telecommunications provider in the U.S. so they can take some costs in order to keep customers.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

They didn't charge me for labor. Just the SFP and the ONT. I also get a deal with them for using to network with my office. I suppose it could be due to fact that I literally live 200 yards from a brand new node. However, I didn't even think about that to be honest. I suppose I should have.

Oh if your that close that would be an easy drop. At least you were close enough to get an easy drop and some great speeds to match it! 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

The nodes are fed by two fibers but they are typically duplex so one fiber is down and one is up. I have yet to see a node fed with redundancy in mind in the field. 

Also you might think 1 gb is a joke but until you look at a core router netflow you rarely see people fully utilize a pipe. We have a 10gb pipe to that feeds a college and its dorms and around 2500 customers. And at peak utilization you see use of around 4gbps. Thats around 10k people (not sure how much are active at the dorm but 80% comes from there) and only peak at 4gbps. 

FTTN is not really in its early days as its been deployed for a few years but the problem lies with the copper on the other end not the nodes them selves

Ok so i briefly brushed up on the design and it looks like there is actually 4 fibers, 2 spare and 2 in use so i don't know where i got redundancy from since i knew brownsfield areas was the only one that got a redundant loop, i think it might of been stuck in my head from before nbn design rules were released. My bad.

Haha as i was writing that i knew someone was going to comment something along those lines. Yes i know the internet works on the fact not everyone is using it at the same time but as i said there have already been reports of nodes congesting and needing upgrades and that is before things like 4k really starting to take of. It's just incredibly short sighted imo.

I'm almost certain that no non trial FTTN roll outs have hit the end of the coexistence period, so that's 18 months iirc and to me that is early days. If your talking about FTTN in general not NBN's rollout yes FTTN has been around for over a decade and isn't new at all.

1 minute ago, JAKEBAB said:

Ok so i briefly brushed up on the design and it looks like there is actually 4 fibers, 2 spare and 2 in use so i don't know where i got redundancy from since i knew brownsfield areas was the only one that got a redundant loop, i think it might of been stuck in my head from before nbn design rules were released. My bad.

Haha as i was writing that i knew someone was going to comment something along those lines. Yes i know the internet works on the fact not everyone is using it at the same time but as i said there have already been reports of nodes congesting and needing upgrades and that is before things like 4k really starting to take of. It's just incredibly short sighted imo.

I'm almost certain that no non trial FTTN roll outs have hit the end of the coexistence period, so that's 18 months iirc and to me that is early days. If your talking about FTTN in general not NBN's rollout yes FTTN has been around for over a decade and isn't new at all.

No problem. Yeah when it comes to FTTN nodes companies dont tend to run redundancy as usually when there is an outage its because a fiber was cut which makes the redundancy fiber useless. So its usually the one pair. You are probably in a ring which serves the purpose of redundancy in routing which is a whole different set of fiber.

As of yet we have only one of our nodes congesting but that is due to copper quality and not bandwidth it self. On our problem shelf we have 46 customers all with terrible copper, mostly from lightning strikes and the fact that the copper is 70+ years old in some spots. This terrible copper causes so many EC (error corrections) it chews through CPU and bottlenecks the connections. Once again why copper is trash and needs to finally go away. But on clean copper with 48 customers on a 10gb pipe we can offer 200mbps no problem with no congestion. Its really depended on copper quality. 

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Talking about NYC and Verizon/USA'sHelstra:

I hate Facebook even more!

12 hours ago, MageTank said:

That, and from what little information I actually know about NZ, you guys have wizards, dragons and magical jewelry. Don't know if the aussies super deadly animals stand a chance against straight up magic. 

*prep's 60,000 Australian soldiers*

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

THis whole thread =

TL;DR: Liberals fucked over the NBN

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)