CPU Upgrade Questions

Hey everyone,

so before I finally free my 980 from my i3 2100, I would like to clear up a few questions. 

1. Will a i7 2600K work with my current motherboard? (It is a OEM motherboard by Acer, the original potato pc was called the Acer Aspire M1930)(And here is what the motherboard looks like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-M1930-Desktop-Motherboard-MB-SGC0P-004-socket-1155-/401034451730)

2. Are there any people here that are still rocking a Sandy Bridge system? Because if so I would like to find a "good enough" motherboard that is LGA 1155. Preferably one that has four ram slots, and maybe two GPU PCI-e 16X slots, but most importantly one that is cheap.

3. I have played around with GPU's for the passed 3 years, buying some, selling some, putting them in, taking them out, fairly easy. Are there any things I will need when upgrading? Maybe very small details that linus may not have mentioned in his build logs?

Thanks everyone, im so excited :>>>>

1. Yes, that is the correct socket size, LGA 1155 for Sandy Bridge.

2. Some people are still rocking it. There is no leap and bound upgrade from a 2600k to 7700k, maybe 15-20% at most. And this is through the 4 generations previous. You likely will need to find a different Board though to overclock on. I use to have an MSI P67A-GD65 (b3) when I had my i5 2500k and loved the board. You likely will be able to find them on craigslist or applicable type site to your country or ebay. Generally speaking though, people do price gouge a bit for these boards.

3. Your 980 will be just fine. It has performance very similar to a GTX 1070, only missing a few of the features found in Pascal such as Ansel, SMP, etc... You should be just fine continuing with the 980 for gaming performance. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

1. Yes, that is the correct socket size, LGA 1155 for Sandy Bridge.

2. Some people are still rocking it. There is no leap and bound upgrade from a 2600k to 7700k, maybe 15-20% at most. And this is through the 4 generations previous. You likely will need to find a different Board though to overclock on. I use to have an MSI P67A-GD65 (b3) when I had my i5 2500k and loved the board. You likely will be able to find them on craigslist or applicable type site to your country or ebay. Generally speaking though, people do price gouge a bit for these boards.

3. Your 980 will be just fine. It has performance very similar to a GTX 1070, only missing a few of the features found in Pascal such as Ansel, SMP, etc... You should be just fine continuing with the 980 for gaming performance. 

Oops, I sorta messed up number 3. I corrected an typo and then forgot where I was in the question missing out a big chunk of info. What I meant to say is I have experience with GPU's but none with CPU's (Well I have taken plenty of them out of sockets, but never actually installed one XD). Are there any things I will need when upgrading my cpu? Is there like a general guide on how to replace a cpu on a working pc?

8 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

Oops, I sorta messed up number 3. I corrected an typo and then forgot where I was in the question missing out a big chunk of info. What I meant to say is I have experience with GPU's but none with CPU's (Well I have taken plenty of them out of sockets, but never actually installed one XD). Are there any things I will need when upgrading my cpu? Is there like a general guide on how to replace a cpu on a working pc?

As long as you line the guides on the Chip up with the socket and gently place it in you are good. You will need new Thermal paste to re-do your heat sink as well. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

nah not really maybe the 980 ti is similar

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

7 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

nah not really maybe the 980 ti is similar

I've seen benchmarks of the 980, 980ti, 1060, and the 1070. The 980 seems to be in between the 1060 and 1070. And the 980ti seems to be in between the 1070 and 1080. Or I may be wrong, I saw the benchmarks a while ago.

Just now, WhatComesAround said:

I've seen benchmarks of the 980, 980ti, 1060, and the 1070. The 980 seems to be in between the 1060 and 1070. And the 980ti seems to be in between the 1070 and 1080. Or I may be wrong, I saw the benchmarks a while ago.

Yes it is..use userbenchmark.

980 is not very similar to 1070..i would say its 80% close the performance to 1070. but its older so generally 1070 its better in overall that is unless u are doing something other than gaming and doesnt care about power consumption or driver update.

and 980 ti is like 98% well that GPU is an old beast and still kickin until now.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/2576vs3609

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3439vs3609

2 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

980 is not very similar to 1070..i would say its 80% close the performance to 1070. but its older so generally 1070 its better in overall that is unless u are doing something other than gaming and doesnt care about power consumption or driver update.

and 980 ti is like 98% well that GPU is an old beast and still kickin until now.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/2576vs3609

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3439vs3609

xD Old beast, jesus it has only been 2 years

980 is 100% sufficient for gaming still. Ya_Mi seems to be on the sour side this morning.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Well if u look back..observe what we have achieved in the last 2 years..

Everything is evolving like crazy..the most noticeable part is the power consumption of course.

just take a look at how efficient modern gpu nowadays.

So Imo for a gpu 980 ti is consider to be old.

But as i said that beast is still kickin and if u dont care about power consumption & driver update that gpu can still kick AAA title in the ass.

23 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

No don't use that trash, go by independent reviews comparing average, max and minimum FPS and most importantly frame times ideally at the resolution and games you play, for me I played GTAV and Rise of the Tomb Raider on 2x 970s (very slighter ahead of 980ti) @ 1440P and was looking at the Palit 1080 Gamerock Premium as it was pretty cheap and I could get a water block for it. These are the reasons I stay away from those sites

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-1080-gamerock-premium-edition-review/16/

@WhatComesAround

If you look there the 980ti is no where near a 1070

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-1080-gamerock-premium-edition-review/19/

and again

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

No don't use that trash, go by independent reviews comparing average, max and minimum FPS and most importantly frame times ideally at the resolution and games you play, for me I played GTAV and Rise of the Tomb Raider on 2x 970s (very slighter ahead of 980ti) @ 1440P and was looking at the Palit 1080 Gamerock Premium as it was pretty cheap and I could get a water block for it. These are the reasons I stay away from those sites

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-1080-gamerock-premium-edition-review/16/

@WhatComesAround

If you look there the 980ti is no where near a 1070

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-1080-gamerock-premium-edition-review/19/

and again

Well yes because userbenchmark is all about computing power and render not games benchmark well they never include games actually. userbenchmark is not trash gpu/cpu boss are.

If this is about games then yeah i agree u cant compare GPU based on their specs for video games or i should say shouldn't.

50 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

Well if u look back..observe what we have achieved in the last 2 years..

Everything is evolving like crazy..the most noticeable part is the power consumption of course.

just take a look at how efficient modern gpu nowadays.

So Imo for a gpu 980 ti is consider to be old.

But as i said that beast is still kickin and if u dont care about power consumption & driver update that gpu can still kick AAA title in the ass.

Uhh actually, I would say advancements in technology has been slowing down recently compared to 5-7 years ago I believe. Further advancements in regular computing is becoming physically restricted, which is why quantum computing is of great interest right now. 

Uhh actually, I would say advancements in technology has been slowing down recently compared to 5-7 years ago I believe. Further advancements in regular computing is becoming physically restricted, which is why quantum computing is of great interest right now. 

Well because the more advance it is the more complicated it gets or its just because of money behind the reason of small improvement each gen looking at you intel. tick tack tock my ass.

But who knows what will came up next..