Weird UI bug with Windows 7

ChuckMaurice

Hi folks. Someone came to me this morning with a weird W7 bug on his old Dell Latitude (E6500). I'm not especially looking for any help as I went for a format/clean reinstall but I'm still curious about what it was. 

He had issues with some .NET packages after trying to use Visual Studio, and made a mess with updates and restore points, up to a point the computer booted up without any text on the desktop, explorer or session login page. UI was unusable and most UI elements didn't respond properly (like, empty right-clic menu, unresponsive taskbar...)

I tried restore points at first but they were all damaged. As he needed his computer up and running ASAP (and hardware wasn't faulty thanks to Dell's immortal Latitude line) I didn't tried anything else and went for a full reinstallation. But I'm still curious about this problem, and as I don't know how to reproduce it, maybe you know what it is.

I made some quick photos with my smartphone I have also a (crappy) video I'll edit in a few hours if you're interested.

Spoiler

IMG_20170314_121456.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_20170314_121536.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_20170314_121607.jpg

[Insert smart comment here]

Uninstall your graphics card drivers, restart, install the latest version. If that doesn't help, use a different graphics card (like Intel integrated graphics solution), and see if the problem is solved there. If so, then maybe your graphics card is faulty

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Uninstall your graphics card drivers, restart, install the latest version. If that doesn't help, use a different graphics card (like Intel integrated graphics solution), and see if the problem is solved there. If so, then maybe your graphics card is faulty

As I mentionned I went for a complete reinstall already (it has been fine), but thanks for the help. So the problem is definitely a corrupted GPU driver? 

I tried downloading a new Intel Graphics driver (I could launch Chrome from the desktop icon, only way I found), but I couldn't execute it from, well, lack of window. It was the only graphics card on the computer.

[Insert smart comment here]

Sounds like some system files got currupted, next time maybe try sfc /scannow. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown