Lenovo Y50 Touch

- Intel Core i7 4710HQ

- 16GB DDR3 RAM

- 1TB SSHD

- GeForce GTX860M 4GB
- Windows 10 Home

- 1080p 15.6" Touch Screen

And here's my problem:

It was February 1st 2017. I was waking up my laptop from a hibernate and decided to play some games. It was booting up normally and I clicked on GTA V. Probably halfway through loading screen, my laptop got into a BSOD. It says: "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

After a quick google search, I learned that it might be a CPU problem. Then I ran Prime 95 and everything was normal. No BSOD. I ran other game, this time Cities Skylines and it just freezes in the loading screen. I can't do anything to it, so I killed it. Getting more suspicious, I switched my graphics to onboard Intel HD and I can play GTA V and The Sims 4 with no problem (other than 720p gaming at 20fps).

Does it mean that my GPU is dead? I was really scared because It was only 2 years old, and it costs US$1300 new. Help me please...

Note: I live in the equator with where the air is hot and humid, but my CPU never exceeds 90C, and my GPU never exceeds 87C. I use air conditioner and laptop cooling pad a lot, I also clean my air intake often. Is heat still a possible culprit?

5 minutes ago, luthfan360 said:

-snip-

Try running Intel Burn Test on the maximum preset.

It's possible that the iGPU isn't putting enough load on the CPU (because it can't render that many frames) and that's why you aren't having issues with it.

It may be a GPU problem. Have you tried to stress the GPU someway? (Heaven, Furmark, 3D mark?)

6 minutes ago, luthfan360 said:

Here's my laptop:

Lenovo Y50 Touch

- Intel Core i7 4710HQ

- 16GB DDR3 RAM

- 1TB SSHD

- GeForce GTX860M 4GB
- Windows 10 Home

- 1080p 15.6" Touch Screen

And here's my problem:

It was February 1st 2017. I was waking up my laptop from a hibernate and decided to play some games. It was booting up normally and I clicked on GTA V. Probably halfway through loading screen, my laptop got into a BSOD. It says: "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

After a quick google search, I learned that it might be a CPU problem. Then I ran Prime 95 and everything was normal. No BSOD. I ran other game, this time Cities Skylines and it just freezes in the loading screen. I can't do anything to it, so I killed it. Getting more suspicious, I switched my graphics to onboard Intel HD and I can play GTA V and The Sims 4 with no problem (other than 720p gaming at 20fps).

Does it mean that my GPU is dead? I was really scared because It was only 2 years old, and it costs US$1300 new. Help me please...

Note: I live in the equator with where the air is hot and humid, but my CPU never exceeds 90C, and my GPU never exceeds 87C.

I use air conditioner and laptop cooling pad a lot, I also clean my air intake often. Is heat still a possible culprit?

reinstall gpu drivers

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Just now, Matt_98 said:

reinstall gpu drivers

I already updated it, haven't try re-installing it though.

@luthfan360 the Y50 is plaged with display and GPU issues, how old is yours

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Try running Intel Burn Test on the maximum preset.

It's possible that the iGPU isn't putting enough load on the CPU (because it can't render that many frames) and that's why you aren't having issues with it.

It may be a GPU problem. Have you tried to stress the GPU someway? (Heaven, Furmark, 3D mark?)

I sent it to a service center, they said it runs Furmark no problem.

But I'm not sure because I set it to integrated GPU as default.

They weren't so helpful and I ended up confusing them.

I can't check it myself because I'm currently working out of town.

Just now, luthfan360 said:

-snip-

Hmm, actually yeah, I forgot, try using DDU to wipe the drivers and reinstall them.

But usually clock dog watchout is a CPU clock BSOD in my experience.

Yeah, those service centers...sometimes easily confused.

4 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

@luthfan360 the Y50 is plaged with display and GPU issues, how old is yours

I bought it back in November 2014. So it's just over 2 years and 3 months.

I know someone who uses Y50 as well, they don't have any major problems so far. (4K nontouch version)

1 minute ago, luthfan360 said:

I bought it back in November 2014. So it's just over 2 years and 3 months.

I know someone who uses Y50 as well, they don't have any major problems so far. (4K nontouch version)

use ddu to fresh install the drivers, if that doesnt work it could be dead

PSU tier list-