$600 budget build

Go to solution Solved by Sreno1,

Your computer won't overheat. The first thing to upgrade would be your GPU > Storage > RAM  > PSU (the PSU is low quality).

Hey guys!

I just ordered what will be my first ever custom rig, after months (really) of waiting for better hardware and pricing (also availability because #México), I went for this parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($67.79 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Jet) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($144.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $617.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-27 03:59 EST-0500

So, in the beginning I was aiming for the NZXT S340 Elite White case, but, you guessed, it isn't available anywhere in my country and paying for importing and shipping fees is just not convenient for me and my tight budget, so I went for the Coolermaster Masterbox 5, which I got for about $48 dlls. new and shipped, pretty neat.

I had to make the choice of more ram and a bigger ssd or a better gfx card, so in the end, I figured ram and ssd costs less and can be upgraded easily later, while I may stay with this gfx card for a while, so I went for the 4GB EVGA 1050 Ti OC card after watching many many reviews (I want to play Overwatch/BF1 mostly and I don't care for Ultra presets, atleast not for now)

a 120GB PNY SSD and 8GB of 2666Mhz HyperX ram.

I really invested in a somewhat not bottom-line motherboard so I could upgrade the rest of my components for later and got the B250M for about $65. And now the only thing that worries me is if the system will or will not overheat, from my "research" having a case with free space is better for air flow, but also using my logic, the lack of a top grill may impact the temperatures, I just don't know how much. What do you guys recommend I get for cooling? now that I have my system complete, I can start upgrading individual parts and have more time to save up for it.

Edited by kettu

24 minutes ago, kettu said:

And now the only thing that worries me is if the system will or will not overheat, from my "research" having a case with free space is better for air flow, but also using my logic, the lack of a top grill may impact the temperatures, I just don't know how much. What do you guys recommend I get for cooling?

At least 1 intake (front or bottom) and 1 outtake (rear or top)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Your computer won't overheat. The first thing to upgrade would be your GPU > Storage > RAM  > PSU (the PSU is low quality).

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

On 27/2/2017 at 10:53 AM, Sreno1 said:

So what PSU do you recommend for my system? My power consumption is supposedly about 275w so I figured I didn't need that much but after reading the post in your sig and a few other posts by the same author, I'm really interested in upgrading this part. I don't need it to be the best there is, but just good enough without breaking the bank.

11 minutes ago, honor said:

i think the psu is fine for a budget build, but a high quality one would be this one:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

Additionally, it is fully modular, which can prove very useful later, if you ever decide to switch cases and want a cleaner build i.e. for a windowed case etc.

My case has a window, I don't think I'll be switching it for a while. (Unless the s340 Elite becomes available in my country lol)

Thanks for the PSU suggestion, will add to my list!

1 hour ago, kettu said:

My case has a window, I don't think I'll be switching it for a while. (Unless the s340 Elite becomes available in my country lol)

Thanks for the PSU suggestion, will add to my list!

CX450W is good quality and reasonably cheap, you can sometimes find it on sale. I wouldn't stress too much about the PSU but a good quality one should be on your upgrade list.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK