SERVERHELP

Radiant

so this should be my last post about a server:

i want to get into coding/scripting/web and appdesign.

since i dont want some stuff on my main pc, where the space is nearly full anyway i was thinking about getting a server and switch combo (HP DL380 g5 and 24 port gigabit xyzen switch for 100)

specs of the server: 2x quadcore E5345, 16gb ram and some other stuff.. i was really thinking about getting this stuff coz its right in my town and its not that expensive.

i would run VMs, maybe a arma 3 server, data storage and maybe some other stuff on it.

i heard they are quite loud so i drew a really bad play where i could put it+ distance to my pc.. number 1 or 2?

i really dont know what to do because i do really want a server for some stuff but at the ame time im sceptic.. i HOPE you guys can help

layout.jpg

265_70498594.jpg

265_560518603.jpg

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You're sceptical about... what?

other peoples mixed feelings about the server, for instance bad xeons ore that its too loud...what do you think?

Just now, Radiant said:

other peoples mixed feelings about the server, for instance bad xeons ore that its too loud...what do you think?

The xeons, when combined, will be perfectly fine for what you want. Of course it will be loud :P Most, if not all servers are loud.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

The xeons, when combined, will be perfectly fine for what you want. Of course it will be loud :P Most, if not all servers are loud.

would you have it in the small room next to mine, which i would need a 5 meter cat6 cable or downstairs in that one weird room where i need a 15 meter cat6 cable but its totally soundproof?

Just now, Radiant said:

would you have it in the small room next to mine, which i would need a 5 meter cat6 cable or downstairs in that one weird room where i need a 15 meter cat6 cable but its totally soundproof?

Downstairs. My dad has one at his office, and it's audible in the next room, albeit quite quietly.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Downstairs. My dad has one at his office, and it's audible in the next room, albeit quite quietly.

can i dm you about something?

2 hours ago, Radiant said:

anyone else got something to say?

if your main intention is to get into scripting, coding and web design and running an arma 3 server which by the way could be limited by your internet connection is only optional.

I would suggest not getting a full blown server just to get into the development stuff, from your post it seems like the main reason is to not have stuff related to the coding etc. on your main PC, which you will still have as you will quickly realize that its faster and easier to try stuff out on the same machine before you move the already mostly functional code to another machine.

many people want to get into the stuff you described but hold their self back from actually learning the software side due to fiddeling around with the hardware.

If you really just want a platform mainly for coding and stuff you would be better off with a raspberry pi which draws like no power, makes no noise and doesnt need much space.