Using the Mavic Pro as a standalone camera?

Thirall

Hi, I am going back and fourth with my father on a deal I presented him: For my birthday we could  split the price for the Mavic Pro drone, and we could both use it whenever we wanted to. Since the Mavic camera is a 4K autofocus camera with an inbuilt gimble stabilizor, I was thinking of using this is as a standalone camera for recording youtube videos (note I am not advertising, not telling the name of the channel etc, so don't come here and nag on me bout that). I was hoping if any of you know if it is possible to use this camera without flying the drone (something I think should be possible by default). Also, if this is possible, how long would the recording time be?

If I then decide on using the mavic as a standalone camera, I would also need a microphone for audio. I have been thinking about both shotgun mics (like the popular røde attached on DSLR's), and about lavalier mics. I think lavalier mics would be an excellent choice, since I might decide to film with my iphone 6, and having a shotgun mic then would be rather unconvinient. The problem is that there will be alot of recording outside, for vlogs and other. 

So I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to buy a DSLR mic and a shotgun mic.

Or buying a seperate shotgun mic and attach it to the mavic when not flying. Maybe get a holder stand for the mavic. An issue here is that I don't think the gimble will work by itself, since I will be either holding it or using a stand, So I will have to get a seperate gimble If I would like that steady recordings.

Or buying a lavalier. This camera gear is a setup I am planning on using for many years coming. I am even going to go to a school with a class that records and edits alot of video, and so I am thinking having a bit more proffesional gear would be better?

Well I don't know, that's why I am here. Help me guys!

I don't have the Mavic, I have the Phantom 4 and I can tell you about the camera operation:

• I believe you should be able to have the camera record even if the drone is not flying
  • The gimbal operation should be independent of the drone's props, so even if the drone is not flying the gimbal should be operating to stabilize the camera
  • Recording time will depend on battery capacity, memory card size and video resolution

You should record the audio with an external mic, the internal mics on the Mavic's camera (if there are any) might be crap.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Don't do that. The general clarity on that drone camera is not as nearly as good as the Phantom 4's or the GoPro Karma's.

If I were you I would buy the Karma and a Hero 5 Black, and since the Karma Comes with a steady cam mount for the hero 5, that should work very well for you.

I also agree with @AkiraDaarkst, any solution presented so far you should use an external mic.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

7 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Don't do that. The general clarity on that drone camera is not as nearly as good as the Phantom 4's or the GoPro Karma's.

If I were you I would buy the Karma and a Hero 5 Black, and since the Karma Comes with a steady cam mount for the hero 5, that should work very well for you.

I also agree with @AkiraDaarkst, any solution presented so far you should use an external mic.

Yes I have seen hat as an option although the mavic is way more portable, it literally fits in a big pocket. I am looking for that portability that clearly the karma doesn't have (hah, karma right? nah..). And yes I was intentionally never planning on using internal audio (god no!). I am wondering about shotgun mic or lavalier mics. Prefferably what that works nicely outside and when it is windy and such. A lavalier will obviously be much more portable because of the size, although I belive getting a lavalier with wind resistance would be high up in the pricelisting. Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Thirall said:

Yes I have seen hat as an option although the mavic is way more portable, it literally fits in a big pocket. I am looking for that portability that clearly the karma doesn't have (hah, karma right? nah..). And yes I was intentionally never planning on using internal audio (god no!). I am wondering about shotgun mic or lavalier mics. Prefferably what that works nicely outside and when it is windy and such. A lavalier will obviously be much more portable because of the size, although I belive getting a lavalier with wind resistance would be high up in the pricelisting. Any thoughts?

You can buy plenty of cheap ones, but they aren't nearly as good as the more expensive mics, so you'll probably be dishing out a lout of dough for a decent performing one in windy environments.

I think that the difference in size between a mavic and karma isn't as big as you think, and when are you going to actually throw a 1000 USD drone into your pocket? I think the karma probably makes sense here, BUT, if you like the mavic better for whatever reason, feel free to spend your money on that. 

If I were you, I'd do a little youtubing on the differences. Look up some comparison videos and see what you find. Getting other's opinion who've worked closely with the drones helps most of the time.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

I have come down to the at899 and the giant squid lavalier mic's. The at899 is clealy better, but costs almost 3 times as the squid (180 vs 50 dollars). On top of that I would need a sound recorder, which I have come down to these two: The zoom h1 and the tascam dr-40 (100 vs 150 dollars). 

Using the AT899 would require an xlr input, which the zoom h1 does not have, which the tascam does.

I am thinking that I would buy the giant squid lavalier with the tascam dr-40, to later upgrade to a AT899 if I so please in half a year or so. This would come at a total of 200 dollars, vs the 310 of the AT899 solution

4 hours ago, Thirall said:

I have come down to the at899 and the giant squid lavalier mic's. The at899 is clealy better, but costs almost 3 times as the squid (180 vs 50 dollars). On top of that I would need a sound recorder, which I have come down to these two: The zoom h1 and the tascam dr-40 (100 vs 150 dollars). 

Using the AT899 would require an xlr input, which the zoom h1 does not have, which the tascam does.

I am thinking that I would buy the giant squid lavalier with the tascam dr-40, to later upgrade to a AT899 if I so please in half a year or so. This would come at a total of 200 dollars, vs the 310 of the AT899 solution

Save yourself some money, get the Rode SmartLav+ and SC3 TRRS to TRS adapter.  Pair it with something like the Zoom H1 recorder.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins