Random CPU Temps

I've tested it in multiple programs including Core Temp, MSI Afterburner, NZXT CAM, AIDA, Speccy etc.. and my temps display randomly from like a 30 degree range. For example  i'll be playing a game and the CPU will be fluctuating between 60C and 69C and then jump up to 90C for half a second and go back to where it was, anybody know what could be wrong?

16 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

-snip-

I know the CPU should get a small overshoot of voltage when it turbos, but it shouldn't be quite that severe. I'd also check to make sure your pump screws are tight.

5 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

the cpu will get a surge of power when it turbos, but it's quickly cooled down by your heat sink

My 6700k is overclocked to 4.5Ghz

2 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

My 6700k is overclocked to 4.5Ghz

it still uses turbo mode to boost. Your OC is adjusting the turbo mode target (Unless you have the CPU clock fixed to 4.5GHz all the time). You should see a vcore slight jump when the CPU starts to go to a higher clock.

However, I don't think that would cause it to shoot up 30C...I have yet to see that crazy of a jump in temps from that.

15 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

That idle seems very high for liquid cooler. I also find it strange the temps are going up and down like that. The pump in the cooler works right?

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

That idle seems very high for liquid cooler. I also find it strange the temps are going up and down like that. The pump in the cooler works right?

I think so, how would i check i have the h110 from Corsair?

1 minute ago, Cottontails said:

I think so, how would i check i have the h110 from Corsair?

What header is the pump plugged into on the motherboard? I would check the RPM of that fan header to make sure it's not somehow...turning off at low load or if the RPM is jumping suddenly. Also put your hand on the pump...it should vibrate slightly when at full load.

Also, potentially you may have a air bubble stuck in the loop somehow (It doubt it though...you'd have to shake the AIO a lot to even attempt getting a bubble stuck in the pump.

Have you already tried reseating the pump?

10 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

What header is the pump plugged into on the motherboard? I would check the RPM of that fan header to make sure it's not somehow...turning off at low load or if the RPM is jumping suddenly. Also put your hand on the pump...it should vibrate slightly when at full load.

Also, potentially you may have a air bubble stuck in the loop somehow (It doubt it though...you'd have to shake the AIO a lot to even attempt getting a bubble stuck in the pump.

Have you already tried reseating the pump?

One of the screws to the cpu cooler spins infinitely in the backplate i think it's stripped, but it feels really tight on the CPU.

IMG_2969.JPG

2 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

-snip-

Hmm, I think you may have actually overtightened too much and potentially broke the thread off of the backplate. I just got in a H105 and installed it today. The backplate is plastic with brass thread inserts...I think if you tightened too might, you might have actually broken the insert (Why it's spinning). It also might be why you're getting such strange temps.

Hard part now is trying to get that thumbscrew off...

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, I think you may have actually overtightened too much and potentially broke the thread off of the backplate. I just got in a H105 and installed it today. The backplate is plastic with brass thread inserts...I think if you tightened too might, you might have actually broken the insert (Why it's spinning). It also might be why you're getting such strange temps.

Hard part now is trying to get that thumbscrew off...

So i need a new cooler pretty much?

5 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

So i need a new cooler pretty much?

Well, no, you need to confirm that's the actual issue first. No one knows yet until you manage to get that pump screw off somehow. You might need pliers to hold the insert behind the pump still so you can take it off. Then you should be able to see what stripped exactly. Hopefully it's just the thumbscrew that's striped and not the backplate.

You can also just superglue the brass insert back in if it did break.

Okay i re-applied thermal paste and mounted the CPU cooler perfectly and the temps seem to be a lot better. The CPU does go up and down weirdly but only in 10-15C range (instead of 30C), it will be at 54C and then jump to 66C all of a sudden then go back down. Is it normal for the 6700k to fluctuate like that and is 66C an okay temp in a game such as Watch Dogs 2?

Do you know what voltage it's spiking to?  It could be something dangerous, which would explain the rapid heating.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you know what voltage it's spiking to?  It could be something dangerous, which would explain the rapid heating.

I have it set to 1.31v. I ran Aida for 10 minutes and i use AI Suite to control fan speeds do you think that could have anything to do with it? I keep the pump running at 100% but usually i control the other fans to a really low speed and have the speed go up gradually to 100% as the temps increase.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Edit: I also have 2 3-way fan splitters 3 of the case fans are on one of them and the two cpu fans and one case fan are on the other and the pump is connected directly to the motherboard in the CPU_OPT which was a recommendation for the h110 i got from someone.

54 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

I have it set to 1.31v. I ran Aida for 10 minutes and i use AI Suite to control fan speeds do you think that could have anything to do with it? I keep the pump running at 100% but usually i control the other fans to a really low speed and have the speed go up gradually to 100% as the temps increase.

Edit: I also have 2 3-way fan splitters 3 of the case fans are on one of them and the two cpu fans and one case fan are on the other and the pump is connected directly to the motherboard in the CPU_OPT which was a recommendation for the h110 i got from someone.

With a cooling setup like that, assuming a locked voltage and a sufficiently large rad, I don't see any reason why it would spike to temperatures above the max that you reach when running AIDA64 for an extended duration :/ 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

With a cooling setup like that, assuming a locked voltage and a sufficiently large rad, I don't see any reason why it would spike to temperatures above the max that you reach when running AIDA64 for an extended duration :/ 

I think i've fixed the problem it didn't go above 60C once during 30min of Watch Dogs 2 and my idle temps seem to be good. The only thing that weirds me out is the fluctuation in temps going from ex. 42C to 56C all of sudden. The fluctuations happen constantly between 1-15C in both idle and load is that normal?

Edit: These are the things i did to try and fix the issue.

-Applied new thermal paste and re-seated the CPU cooler.

-Plugged the pump into the CPU_OPT header on the motherboard.

-Followed Joanne's video on overclocking the 6700k to 4.5GHz.

-Made sure that the pump is running at 100% in AI Suite and tested that the pump vibrates slightly on load.

-Ran Aida Test for 10min.

19 hours ago, Cottontails said:

I think i've fixed the problem it didn't go above 60C once during 30min of Watch Dogs 2 and my idle temps seem to be good. The only thing that weirds me out is the fluctuation in temps going from ex. 42C to 56C all of sudden. The fluctuations happen constantly between 1-15C in both idle and load is that normal?

Depending on the test, that's not unreasonable.  My CPU can spike from 40 to 60+ in an instant when I kick on a stress test, even though it'll be held to high 60s / low 70s at most no matter how long I run it for.