Corsair H60 Skylake i7 7700k problems

Hey all, I need some advice. I have an h60 with a stock fan attached to my skylake i7 7700k. The cooler does not cut it, even in case temp of 13c (winter with windows open) the cpu was still getting up to 100c and performance was dipping down to 4000 MHz at the min (not happy...). My cinebench average is 933 normal room temp and cold room testing it was 953. I am a workstation user so cpu performance is a must. I want to be able to overclock. Is this normal or is my H60 unit defective? can I get away with the same cooler and upgrading to a push pull config with EKWB EK-Vardar F4-120ER (2200rpm) White High Static Pressure 120mm Cooling Fan. how much will buying nice thermal paste help? I'm not trying to spend more than $45 dollars fixing this problem... also my stock fan is loud under load (like loud- is that normal too?).

thanks!

The 212 evo would probably have saved you the headache xD
really now there must be something wrong with the cooler, getting 100c you might as well as put an intel stock cooler and end up with better performance... could you call their warranty or something

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The 212 evo would probably have saved you the headache xD
really now there must be something wrong with the cooler, getting 100c you might as well as put an intel stock cooler and end up with better performance... could you call their warranty or something

7700k has no stock cooler

10 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

7700k has no stock cooler

Obviously I know it xD , I just meant it is performing worse than a stock cooler would, which reinforces how ´´damaged´´ it could be [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I just opened a ticket with them. Do you guys think it might be because skylake draws 91 watts?

what fan header do you have the h60 plugged into?

open the UEFI on boot and look for that header information. examine the 'RPM' of that header. should be registering 4200-4600rpm steady.

otherwise, you'll need to confirm the mounting, paste spread/location (will need new paste) and rear backplate mounting.

the h60 isn't the be-wonder of AIO, but should easily contain the stock settings of the CPU for thermals. adding a new fan will not lower the temperatures that well, nor decrease the noise, but add to the total cost without best results.

I have a splitter plugged into the socket labeled "cpu fan" on the mother board. I'll check my bios settings now but its getting pretty darn loud so I think it should be going full sprint. as far as installing it, the one thing I can think of that might be "bad" would be the corsair logo is sideways but I don't think this matters.

thanks for all the help!

remove the splitter and plug the h60 directly, use a system/chassis header for the fan.

'damn loud' isn't a good source for proof of operation. this is something corsair will want to verify.

the orientation is not an issue, just that is not interfered with because of installation. capacitors, heat sinks, etc can keep the pump for proper installation.

I was running that configuration last night with the same problems. I went into setup menu just now on my gigabyte z270 mini itx. and cpu fan rpm was set to like 4300rpm. I just turned off the silent fan function and have my system fan (200mm included with enthoo mini itx case) and cpu fan set to full speed. the air coming out of the back of the radiator feels cool. my real temp is now telling me I'm running at 4500 mgz at 24percent load with temps of 95-100c. I'm pretty confused by these new numbers and I have lost 12 points (average of 5 tests)  on cinebench. what did I do wrong this time?? it is snugly fitted and I just used the pre-applied paste. I made absolute sure to fit the unit correctly. bottom line - what wrong with the low cpu load and high MHz - and do I need to buy a better cooler or should I wait to hear back from corsair? thanks for all the help guys

Single-fan radiators really aren't good enough for anything above an i5. A 212 EVO literally would have saved you the headache.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

the h60 and 212 evo seem to preform the same based on my research. my h60 should keep up. I think I have a defective unit. I ordered it off amazon so I might just order a new bigger one since I wan to over clock and return the h60 when it comes

• 2 months later...

Did you figure this out?

The cooler should not be connected to any headers on your mobo. It should be connected directly to your power supply using an adapter. Connecting to the mobo might be fine for a few hours but eventually the coolant will have issues cycling and you'll get those ridiculous temps. I'm assuming one of your tubes is blistering hot and the other is cool? That of course means your pump isn't cycling.

Even a cheap H60 blows away heatsink coolers like the 212 evo as long as it's hooked up correctly. IMO there is ZERO reason to buy heat-sink coolers anymore. EKWB parts are the way to go. Pricey, but worth the premium over the AIO coolers like H60.

11 hours ago, rj42 said:

The cooler should not be connected to any headers on your mobo. It should be connected directly to your power supply using an adapter. Connecting to the mobo might be fine for a few hours but eventually the coolant will have issues cycling and you'll get those ridiculous temps. I'm assuming one of your tubes is blistering hot and the other is cool? That of course means your pump isn't cycling.

this is not correct. the h60 has a three wire connection. meaning on for positive and the other for ground and the last is for a speed signal. if the speed is not sensed, you'd get a CPU_FAN error and the system will stop. kinda safeguard to ensure pump failure will not kill the system. the h60 is not designed to have the pump cycle in speed vs CPU temperatures, just leave at 100% and that is what it was designed for.

problem with the h60 is cost. the fans on it are so loud to keep it cool, most want to purchase different fans ($14-$24) which kills the 'performance value' to most mid-high end coolers with better cooling than the h60. 

19 hours ago, airdeano said:

this is not correct. the h60 has a three wire connection. meaning on for positive and the other for ground and the last is for a speed signal. if the speed is not sensed, you'd get a CPU_FAN error and the system will stop. kinda safeguard to ensure pump failure will not kill the system. the h60 is not designed to have the pump cycle in speed vs CPU temperatures, just leave at 100% and that is what it was designed for.

problem with the h60 is cost. the fans on it are so loud to keep it cool, most want to purchase different fans ($14-$24) which kills the 'performance value' to most mid-high end coolers with better cooling than the h60. 

No, it is correct :)

My H60 has been hooked up directly to my power supply for a couple years now without issue. Guess what will happen when i hook it up to ANY header on ANY motherboard? It will quit cycling within an hour.

This is not an opinion mate, it's a well known fact regarding the H60. Corsair will tell you this information themselves.

3 hours ago, rj42 said:

No, it is correct :)

My H60 has been hooked up directly to my power supply for a couple years now without issue. Guess what will happen when i hook it up to ANY header on ANY motherboard? It will quit cycling within an hour.

This is not an opinion mate, it's a well known fact regarding the H60. Corsair will tell you this information themselves.

yeah, corsair does not say that in any remote literature as per their downloaded .pdf:

58f944ed1ae6d_h60power.thumb.png.779f7a72efe68f23eac1e45c6a8042b6.png

again, if you had 'cycling', then your header was set to reduce the voltage as per the CPU temperature. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h60-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler. i searched the corsair forum for your cycling issue and any corsair representative to say contrary and they all point to the hookup to the motherboard fan header.