4K 60Hz vs 1080p 144Hz

Shawn.win

Hi guys 

I am thinking on getting a new monitor for my setup. However i can't decide if i should get a 1080p 144Hz monitor or get a 4k 60Hz monitor. I want to use the monitor for gaming and video/photo editing. I don't know that much about monitors but these where the monitor i had a look at 

4k 60Hz monitor 

ASUS PB287Q 28" 4K/UHD 3840x2160 

http://amzn.to/2kfAoim

Or

1080p 144hz monitor 

BenQ Zowie XL2720 27in 144Hz LED Gaming Monitor

http://amzn.to/2juc1Av

Thanks for the help. 

P.s My friend told me this one 1440p monitor that also looks very nice. 

Here is the link: http://amzn.to/2kTU5LY

Which games do you plan on playing? and is it for the more competitive line of gaming, or more casual?

I mostly play fps games such as CS:GO and titanfall 2 however i do  sometimes play alot of casual games like Total War, GMOD, Sims, Need for Speed. It is mostly competitive games but i often play casual. 

I also need to do alot of video and photo editing for school.

UHD is not good for gaming but great for work

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I have that benq model, great monitor i can say, but if you just casualy game, and dont eaven play something multiplayer, go for 4k, otherwise go for benq.

Why not inbetween?

1440p / 144 Hz.

Sweetspot in sharpness, Refresh rate, and Performance needed to push the pixels.

However i would not get the Zowie. Take one with either Freesync (if you use AMD) or G-Sync (if you use Nvidia). No point in getting a Gaming Monitor without Freesync or GSync.

And your hardware would be interesting to know. If you don't have at least a GTX 1080 (better titan X), you can pretty much forget 4k Gaming.  Even the 1080 will struggle sometime pretty hard in 4k, leaving you at 30-35 fps on Ultra settings.

1 hour ago, Shawn.win said:

I mostly play fps games such as CS:GO and titanfall 2 however i do  sometimes play alot of casual games like Total War, GMOD, Sims, Need for Speed. It is mostly competitive games but i often play casual. 

I also need to do alot of video and photo editing for school.

In this situation i would go for 144hz. But i wouldn't recommend the BenQ one.

Has to be noted though, i have no personal experience with BenQ, but there's just something that makes me not trust them, though don't listen to me when it comes to that.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Why not inbetween?

1440p / 144 Hz.

Sweetspot in sharpness, Refresh rate, and Performance needed to push the pixels.

However i would not get the Zowie. Take one with either Freesync (if you use AMD) or G-Sync (if you use Nvidia). No point in getting a Gaming Monitor without Freesync or GSync.

And your hardware would be interesting to know. If you don't have at least a GTX 1080 (better titan X), you can pretty much forget 4k Gaming.  Even the 1080 will struggle sometime pretty hard in 4k, leaving you at 30-35 fps on Ultra settings.

Then what monitor would you recommend that is 1440p 144hz with g sync? Btw i have a 1070. Also it would be great if it was an ips display but it is not a must for me.

19 minutes ago, Shawn.win said:

Then what monitor would you recommend that is 1440p 144hz with g sync? Btw i have a 1070. Also it would be great if it was an ips display but it is not a must for me.

The thing that has to be though about the 1440p 144hz monitors, is they are very expensive. So just know if you want something propperly, and it should be 1440p and 144hz it's gonna run you at least 500$

And the ones i would be able to recommend is more like 700-800$

If you want an IPS panel then i would say go with the PG279Q, but just remember it has 4ms delay. And if the 4ms delay bothers you, go for the PG278Q, those are the ones i know people that use, and that i use my self, and i haven't really done much researching on the other options, because when we go up to those price points, it really doesn't matter what the cost is, it just needs to be a great product, and when that is considered, i would go with the PG279Q for IPS and PG278Q if you need the 1ms delay.

Now one thing i will point out, i'm not able to do any research the next many hours, i am at school now, on a shit computer, and i'm going to work later in the day. So i won't be able to help that much for now.

4k every day.. 1080p at any refresh rate looks like ass.. only people that say otherwise are the ones that own said monitors and are justifying how wrong they are!

Ideally I'd recommend 1440p 144hz as that's the best of both worlds, refresh rate and resolution.

I've had 1080p 144hz, 4k 60hz and 3440x1440 100hz. For me ultra wide wins hands down but it's also 2 to 3 times the price so I won't recommend it.

When you 1st play on a 144hz monitor there isn't this gigantic in your face WOW moment that's going to blow you away and make you realise how you've ever lived without it.. 

But the 1st 2nd and 100th time you see a 4k display playing a game cracked up to the tits.. you'll always be blown away.

Plus the biggest and most noticable difference in refresh is between 60 and 75. Linus actually agreed with that in one of his videos ? 

Don't get me wrong I can tell the difference between 60 and 100 and above.. it's just not that noticable and necessary in most cases. You don't play gta v and want more fluidity. You're too busy blowing shit up and having fun!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

23 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

4k every day.. 1080p at any refresh rate looks like ass.. only people that say otherwise are the ones that own said monitors and are justifying how wrong they are!

Ideally I'd recommend 1440p 144hz as that's the best of both worlds, refresh rate and resolution.

I've had 1080p 144hz, 4k 60hz and 3440x1440 100hz. For me ultra wide wins hands down but it's also 2 to 3 times the price so I won't recommend it.

When you 1st play on a 144hz monitor there isn't this gigantic in your face WOW moment that's going to blow you away and make you realise how you've ever lived without it.. 

But the 1st 2nd and 100th time you see a 4k display playing a game cracked up to the tits.. you'll always be blown away.

Plus the biggest and most noticable difference in refresh is between 60 and 75. Linus actually agreed with that in one of his videos ? 

Don't get me wrong I can tell the difference between 60 and 100 and above.. it's just not that noticable and necessary in most cases. You don't play gta v and want more fluidity. You're too busy blowing shit up and having fun!

I agree 4K just smacks you in the face. 

Although I felt that 1440p 144hz was just as impressive. 

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

This.

When I stepped up from a 60hz 1080p TN panel to 144hz 1440p IPS, the mind blowing difference came from the resolution/colors and not from the refresh rate.

Resolution all the way!

I can personally recommend the dell s2417dg. It's 1440p 165hz with 1 ms response. However, it is TN, but a good TN. And it is only $420 which is another plus. 

If you've already experienced 144hz I wouldn't make the switch to 4k. It'll ruin your experience. 

• CPU: 4790k 4.8ghz @ 1.3v
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • RAM: G. Skill DDR 3 16 GB
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070
  • Case: NZXT Phantom 410
  • PSU: 600w Rosewill PSU (Forgot exact model)
  • Storage: 2x 240 GB Sandisk SSD 2x 1TB WDC
  • Peripherals: Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate; Mouse - Logitech G303; 
  • Display: ASUS VG248QE @ 144hz; ASUS VE247 @ 60hz