X34 Predator Overclock 100Hz Daily Use Bad Idea???

Hello,

Im longtime console user and recently my friend talked me into finally coming to the "master pc race". Its taking me while to get used to all the setting and things you can adjust for each thing, like the keyboard, soundcard and montior, etc etc. So please dont flame if question comes off newbish. Since getting my new pc Ive spent more time reading, then actually gaming. Most times I'll search google, find the answer...and then I'll find another post/article saying the opposite. So Im here hoping to find help.

So I got the X34 Predator and the main reason was cause Im running EVGA GTX 1080 FTW with Gsync. Im trying to read as much as possible on setting this up but there is soooo much info and Im finding some of the info says do XYZ, then find out they say dont do XYZ. So Im hoping someone here can lend me some time and help fellow future gamer.

My question, the X34 can be overclocked to 100hz by going into the settings in the monitor. Right now I think its on 60hz. Should I change it to 100hz and if yes, is this bad if I leave it always set to 100hz? Or would there be a reason to lower back to 60hz or etc?

Thanks for taking the time, and giving your advice. Also if there is anything else you feel might improve the monitor or gaming please let me know.

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI XC99A Gaming Pro Carbon LGA 2011 - v3
Intel Core i7 - 6800k 6 Core 3.4GHz
G.SKILL Ram 32 Gb DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU Cooler
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black
Predator X34 Ultra-Wide G-Sync

You would put in 100hz. The X34 is built for 100hz so dont worry

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

It's rated to do 100Hz so go right ahead :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I own one of the first x34s that came to Canada when it was first released.  It is made for 100Mhz. I have been running it at that for well over a year, non-stop.  No dead pixels & zero issues with it.

It has been an absolutely solid monitor.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

I first want to thank everyone for taking the time out and sharing some advice. Dont get me wrong I love the new PC and I can see why its WAY better then console, but still finding it hard to learn everything that needs adjusting. But I guess over time I will get the hang of it.

PigWithAMustache...thank for the video but have question about it. The custom refresh thing it explains to do, is that for people with monitors that cannot adjust their OC or do I also need to do this? Cause the X34 allows you to select a few different Hz to choose from.

As for everyone else saying run at the 100hz, would there be a reason for me to lower it when playing a game? Meaning, if I OC to 100hz and play XYZ game, is there something I should look out for, ie visual quality, or latency that would let me know, ok maybe I should lower the OC to get better gaming?

Thanks again in advance and truly sorry if these questions are newbish. I just dont want to break anything and also would like to get the full potential from my PC

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI XC99A Gaming Pro Carbon LGA 2011 - v3
Intel Core i7 - 6800k 6 Core 3.4GHz
G.SKILL Ram 32 Gb DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU Cooler
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black