144hz 1440p video switch or kvm

T-Paste
Go to solution Solved by T-Paste,

I have finally found a "solution" to this, at least a partial one. I took a plunge on the Tripp Lite B004-DP2UA2-K 2 port DP KVM and purchased it. It is an unpowered KVM switch, if that matters to anyone. Anyway, there are always cons to everything, so let's get that out of the way...

1. It is only a 1 monitor to 2 computer KVM switch, no dual monitor support here (which is all I was looking for).

2. It has no virtualization, so when you switch from one computer to another, the one that is no longer active will lose the switched monitor and any open windows WILL MOVE

The pros:

1. When switching from my work computer to my personal computer, my computer will recognize it is a G-Sync monitor.

2. I can set the 144Hz option directly on my monitor, and appears to be working.

As some notes, I do not know how to actually test if the G-Sync is enabled, I can only trust the Nvidia alert, so if someone knows how to actually test and clue me in, I am willing to test further. Also, running monitor frequency tests at https://www.testufo.com, with my monitor set to 144Hz, the test will bump up to that frequency, though I do not know if it means it is actually working. Also, if I switch between my work computer and my personal computer, I have to manually change the frequency back to 144Hz on the monitor itself as it usually defaults back to 60Hz. Further, my work computer, which is an HP business class laptop, I can set the monitor frequency in the Advanced video options to 120Hz, but I am unable to change my monitor to that frequency, it is locked to 60Hz.

Also, from the description from their website, this KVM has upgradable firmware, if that matters to anyone. Anyway, hope this helps anyone else that has been searching, and hopefully in the near future, they will have KVMs with better support.

This is same inquiry as KRSogaard OP. I have the exact same issue, have an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q GSYNC monitor as my main display and of course only a single input. My old monitor does have dual inputs (DVI/VGA combo) that worked nicely but it's going out. I need to connect the Asus monitor to my work computer when working at home. My computer is in an inconvenient location to keep unplugging the cable from it and connecting to the work computer, besides I would like to still use my main computer when not busy, so that is not an option. I am also not going to give up the refresh rate to 60hz after seeing 144hz, but doesn't matter on the work computer. With this being said, it doesn't matter if the device is strictly a video a/b style switch (remember those? A/B switches were used to switch between cable and antenna), having mouse, keyboard, USB, audio, or network, etc options are not required. I would rather keep it cheap, but can finagle the price if such a device is available. From the searches I have done, it seems that specs for resolution or refresh rate for many of the DP devices are missing. Looks like the CS1942 or CS1944 might do 120hz, but from another review on another device (sorry, it escapes me at the moment), the product stated it supported this but seems at times the bandwidth of the video signal would bottleneck and freeze the computers, so this may be an issue on either device mentioned above. If anyone has had success even on a kvm or switch that was not rated at 1440p 144hz without a drop in the regressed rate,  I would love to see how you set it up.

My Rig:

Asus Strix Z270e Gaming MB | Intel Core i7 7700k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 32GB Crucial Vengeance |
NVidia RTX 2080TI Founders Edition | WD Black 512GB NVMe; Samsung 512GB 850 EVO SSD; 1 TB WD Blue |
Asus ROG PG278Q 144Hz GSync 1440p monitor; ViewSonic VA2231w-LED | Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition Case

Are you local to the machine? Have you tried Team Viewer?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I am local to both but I can't install software or plugins, my employer has it locked down.

My Rig:

Asus Strix Z270e Gaming MB | Intel Core i7 7700k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 32GB Crucial Vengeance |
NVidia RTX 2080TI Founders Edition | WD Black 512GB NVMe; Samsung 512GB 850 EVO SSD; 1 TB WD Blue |
Asus ROG PG278Q 144Hz GSync 1440p monitor; ViewSonic VA2231w-LED | Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition Case

I wonder if a Y connector could be made and have an A/B in between as I would think it would be all electrical at that point. Any ideas?

My Rig:

I would just get a KVM switch. It'll allow you to pass the KB/M through to either PC using the single monitor.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Well, I guess that won't matter so much while playing bl2, but that would pretty much neuter the display, lol.

I wonder what the issue with getting these frame rates at this resolution.  is there a processor inside that gets bottlenecked or something? Also, with the idea of a splitter, would that actually work? I'd assume any power coming from the wire would be split in half, possibly causing degradation. If that is the case, I wonder if one of those powered amplifiers would work, similar to what would be used of you wanted to install cable TV in multiple rooms.

My Rig:

• 2 weeks later...

Any other ideas? Is there maybe a splitter that would allow the full 144hz and full resolution to my desktop and limited to 60hz if need be to my work laptop?  obviously I would prefer the full refresh rate as it reduces eye strain,  which was the whole reason for getting it.

My Rig:

• 3 weeks later...

No other ideas? Is they're an alternate to a kvm? Pricing those it found display port is expensive.

My Rig:

• 2 weeks later...

I would also be willing to go down to 120Hz... such a pain. In the mean time is there a display port extension cable, and if so, how much degradation are we looking at? I'm looking at this as another alternative, to manually switch between my computers without having to crawl way under my desk to unplug the cable and move it to my work computer and then back again between calls. It would be much easier to have something within reach. Of course full support kvm would be optimal.

My Rig:

• 1 month later...

I have finally found a "solution" to this, at least a partial one. I took a plunge on the Tripp Lite B004-DP2UA2-K 2 port DP KVM and purchased it. It is an unpowered KVM switch, if that matters to anyone. Anyway, there are always cons to everything, so let's get that out of the way...

1. It is only a 1 monitor to 2 computer KVM switch, no dual monitor support here (which is all I was looking for).

2. It has no virtualization, so when you switch from one computer to another, the one that is no longer active will lose the switched monitor and any open windows WILL MOVE

The pros:

1. When switching from my work computer to my personal computer, my computer will recognize it is a G-Sync monitor.

2. I can set the 144Hz option directly on my monitor, and appears to be working.

As some notes, I do not know how to actually test if the G-Sync is enabled, I can only trust the Nvidia alert, so if someone knows how to actually test and clue me in, I am willing to test further. Also, running monitor frequency tests at https://www.testufo.com, with my monitor set to 144Hz, the test will bump up to that frequency, though I do not know if it means it is actually working. Also, if I switch between my work computer and my personal computer, I have to manually change the frequency back to 144Hz on the monitor itself as it usually defaults back to 60Hz. Further, my work computer, which is an HP business class laptop, I can set the monitor frequency in the Advanced video options to 120Hz, but I am unable to change my monitor to that frequency, it is locked to 60Hz.

Also, from the description from their website, this KVM has upgradable firmware, if that matters to anyone. Anyway, hope this helps anyone else that has been searching, and hopefully in the near future, they will have KVMs with better support.

My Rig:

• 8 months later...

Someone has been testing the  Tripp Lite B004-DP2UA2-K 2 port DP KVM  with the new CHG90 Samsung Ultrawide curve monitor? Does the 144hz is been supported?

Thanks

Mine appears to work fine with my 144Hz monitor.

My Rig: