ASUS H170 pro gaming reaches 70°c?

Hey guys,

i was rendering my first 1080p 60fps video with vegas earlier and when i looked at my temps i say my CPU at about 68°c (which is ok), my GTX 1070 (2020 mhz) didnt even go above 52 but my motherboard went up to 72°c? what the heck???? is this normal??

help is appreciated

Sounds like you need some better case airflow.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Radiant said:

Hey guys,

i was rendering my first 1080p 60fps video with vegas earlier and when i looked at my temps i say my CPU at about 68°c (which is ok), my GTX 1070 (2020 mhz) didnt even go above 52 but my motherboard went up to 72°c? what the heck???? is this normal??

help is appreciated

If that is the VRM that's not a problem since it's under heavy perlonged load, the VRM is capable of working up to 125C. However if you want to keep it lower adding a fan or having more ambient airflow near the VRM heatsinks will help. 

44 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Sounds like you need some better case airflow.

i have a be quiet silent base 600, with 2 fans pulling in from the front, 1 from the bottom, one pushes out at the top and at the back so i dont think its that

44 minutes ago, W-L said:

If that is the VRM that's not a problem since it's under heavy perlonged load, the VRM is capable of working up to 125C. However if you want to keep it lower adding a fan or having more ambient airflow near the VRM heatsinks will help. 

Where is the VRM? and i dont think it is a air flow problem considering i have a be quiet silent base 600,  2 fans pulling air in from the front, 1 from the bottom, one pushes out at the top and one at the back 

i have a be quiet silent base 600, with 2 fans pulling in from the front, 1 from the bottom, one pushes out at the top and at the back so i dont think its that

But when you open your case does it feel hot inside?

Because your mobo clearly does....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But when you open your case does it feel hot inside?

Because your mobo clearly does....

just checked... doesnt even feel slightly warm, there is constant airflow and the only things that are warm are the motherboard and cpu, gpu doesnt even reach 52 and the backplate is chill af

maybe you need these:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz    61 °C
    Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
    16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151)    72 °C
Graphics
    ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ZOTAC International)    50 °C
Storage
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA)    29 °C
    232GB Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB (SSD)    33 °C
Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

4 minutes ago, Radiant said:

Where is the VRM? and i dont think it is a air flow problem considering i have a be quiet silent base 600,  2 fans pulling air in from the front, 1 from the bottom, one pushes out at the top and one at the back 

VRM are the heatsinks or modules around the CPU socket, if there isn't goof airflow over them or it being limited can cause it be a little warm but I wouldn't say it's a worry until 85C. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

VRM are the heatsinks or modules around the CPU socket, if there isn't goof airflow over them or it being limited can cause it be a little warm but I wouldn't say it's a worry until 85C. 

do you think that might be because of my big cpu cooler?its a be quiet dark rock 3 i think, its massive

EDIT: i just touched one, its nearest to the backplate and it literally burned my fingers a bit that thing is really hot eventho it is right between the cpu cooler can and exhaust fan. i find this quite weird...

Just now, Radiant said:

do you think that might be because of my big cpu cooler?its a be quiet dark rock 3 i think, its massive

It should still have some incidental airflow over the VRM heatsinks to keep things relatively cool, as Enderman brought up what is the fan setup around the case.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

It should still have some incidental airflow over the VRM heatsinks to keep things relatively cool, as Enderman brought up what is the fan setup around the case.

2x 120mm fans pulling air in, toward my gpu, psu and hard drive. 1 pulling air in from the bottom because it gets a bit of air through my gpu (fans dont spin until 60°c)

1x 120mm fan pulling air out at the top and 1x 120 mm fan pulling air out at the back

2x 120mm fans pulling air in, toward my gpu, psu and hard drive. 1 pulling air in from the bottom because it gets a bit of air through my gpu (fans dont spin until 60°c)

1x 120mm fan pulling air out at the top and 1x 120 mm fan pulling air out at the back

That sounds pretty good to me, I think you'll be ok with that but if the temps still keep climbing then I would start to worry. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

That sounds pretty good to me, I think you'll be ok with that but if the temps still keep climbing then I would start to worry. 

Thanks bud, i was just really worried haha. so do you think im good under 75? do me that still sounds ok considering my old amd motherboard ( god knows which one) often reached 85°c haha

Thanks bud, i was just really worried haha. so do you think im good under 75? do me that still sounds ok considering my old amd motherboard ( god knows which one) often reached 85°c haha

For full load with 10% CPU rendering I would keep an eye on it for now but it should be ok, if things are a litle warmer than you like try doing some test by placing a fan right near the heatsinks to try and draw air over them.