First time buying a decent monitor and only one option

martin1592

So, I'm from Uruguay and there aren't a lot of available options when buying technology related stuff. 

I currently have 3 random 21" 1080p 60hz monitors and since I play games a lot and really like high resolution displays, I decided to buy a new monitor. 

The only one that fits what I want is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS

I wanted something higher than 1080p, but since I wont be able to game at 4K and 144hz, I decided to go for 1440p 144hz. 

However, that monitor uses FreeSync and not G-Sync, and I have a GTX 1080, so that's a negative aspect for me. 

Is it worth getting that monitor even though I won't be able to take advantage of that FreeSync? I'm going to spend 750$ on it so I want to be sure I'll have a great experience with it.

One of the main games I play is H1Z1, and my FPS goes from 200 to 100 in some places, will that make my game look weird and change from 60 to 144hz depending on my fps, or will that be a stable 60hz? I know I can force it to be 60 at all times, but that's something I'd have to turn on and off when playing certain games. 

That monitor is the only 1440p 144hz available in my country and shipping from other country is not an option, so it's that or nothing, any opinion is welcome!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Bought that monitor myself over the holidays. 

it's been great no dead pixels, colour shift at sharp angles is non existent despite it being TN,  and just looks great overall.

Lack of swivel makes rearranging cords a hassle though and speakers leave MUCH to be desired.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:41 AM, AlbertW035 said:

Bought that monitor myself over the holidays. 

it's been great no dead pixels, colour shift at sharp angles is non existent despite it being TN,  and just looks great overall.

Lack of swivel makes rearranging cords a hassle though and speakers leave MUCH to be desired.

Thanks for your reply! I have no intentions of ever using the speakers so that's fine, didn't even notice it had speakers. 

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Are u sure? because for $750 u can get an ips monitor with g-sync.

But if the option is limited and leave u no choice then its for u to decide.

No u can hardly notice the difference when its above 60fps ( though it depends on your eyes ) but most people cant.

It's the only 1440p 144hz monitor available in my country and buying from a different country is not an option due to ridiculous import taxes :/  

The difference between 60fps and 144fps on a 144hz monitor is huge, but since this one doesn't have g-sync I dont know if it'll be constantly changing from 60hz to 144hz in the middle of the game depending on the fps at the time or if it will stay at 60fps for a while or how that works, since I dont want it to be changing every second and I dont want it to be stuck at 60hz if it goes a second below 144fps

On 5/2/2017 at 0:58 AM, Thread212 said:

You dont need to worry about when the fps is constantly changing if its above 60fps it will still looks smooth.

Thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to know :)    

Since the 1440p was extremely expensive I went for a 144hz 1080p instead Link

Thanks for your replies!