What ModMic revision should I get?

ramencupofjoy

I'm on a $100 budget.

Is the increase in sound quality with the 5s good enough to justify another 30 bucks?

Over the 4.0? No. 

If your headphones can support it i would rather get the Vmoda BoomPro, sounds better imo and is often cheaper.

I have v4 and unless u need to record higher quality audio u will be fine with it.

PS. at certain point its not about the quality but the personality on the camera :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Thony said:

I have v4 and unless u need to record higher quality audio u will be fine with it.

PS. at certain point its not about the quality but the personality on the camera :)

I don't have a personality, so no camera is required.

32 minutes ago, ramencupofjoy said:

I don't have a personality, so no camera is required.

Then dont waste money on v5

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Unless you need the ability to switch between Uni and Omni directional pattern, and need the modularity (short cables, long cables, mute switch) It's not worth it if you want to save the money. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Hey hey! Love seeing our little ModMic pop up here.

I basically agree with what everyone said above, except that Boompro thing! I'm kidding, audio is like wine, everyone has a different taste of what is good. Boompro has its advantages and I won't deny it.

Anyway, it comes down to cable and switching.

The detachable cable is going to be super handy if you use both PC and console, especially console (shorter cord). It should also increase the life of your product, as the #1 fail point of audio gear (in my experience, not as some statistical survey I have done) is usually related to the wiring in the cable. Since you can replace the cable that should increase the longevity of the unit. 

The quality of the 4 and 5 are the same, since they use the same actual mic. The key is switching between omni and uni. If you game entirely in a quieter environment where quality is king, make sure you get the Omni version of the 4. It is discontinued, but we still have some for sale on Amazon. Otherwise, if its noisy where you are or you go to a lot of LANs etc, just get the Uni version (Now just called the ModMic 4).

If you need both uni and omni and/or having that modular cable is of value, you may get more mileage out of the more expensive ModMic 5.

I am happy to help if you have more questions!

And as always, full disclosure, I am the Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

15 hours ago, AAJoe said:

Hey hey! Love seeing our little ModMic pop up here.

I basically agree with what everyone said above, except that Boompro thing! I'm kidding, audio is like wine, everyone has a different taste of what is good. Boompro has its advantages and I won't deny it.

Anyway, it comes down to cable and switching.

The detachable cable is going to be super handy if you use both PC and console, especially console (shorter cord). It should also increase the life of your product, as the #1 fail point of audio gear (in my experience, not as some statistical survey I have done) is usually related to the wiring in the cable. Since you can replace the cable that should increase the longevity of the unit. 

The quality of the 4 and 5 are the same, since they use the same actual mic. The key is switching between omni and uni. If you game entirely in a quieter environment where quality is king, make sure you get the Omni version of the 4. It is discontinued, but we still have some for sale on Amazon. Otherwise, if its noisy where you are or you go to a lot of LANs etc, just get the Uni version (Now just called the ModMic 4).

If you need both uni and omni and/or having that modular cable is of value, you may get more mileage out of the more expensive ModMic 5.

I am happy to help if you have more questions!

And as always, full disclosure, I am the Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio

Thank you for your advice :D

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the ModMic 4 uni-directional.

12 hours ago, ramencupofjoy said:

Thank you for your advice :D

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the ModMic 4 uni-directional.

I just picked up a very slightly used Mod Mic 4 on Kijiji (used goods site-very hard to find it new in Canada) and my friends that I play BF1 with say it sounds better than my last mic (which was pretty good).  I think you will be very happy with it.

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B