Upgrading my old rig

Hello LTT users!

I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was looking at upgrading my current rig (specs below) but realized that prices for the parts I would be interested in are completely ridiculous. I was thinking that a good move for now would be to not try to upgrade my current platform, but to move to a newer platform with a viable upgrade path. Please do not suggest Kaby Lake.

Here's my current rig: Dell Inspiron 540. It's got the i3 540 in it and I've thrown in a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 240GB, GTX 760 ti (OEM, basically a GTX 670), and a Seasonic M12ii 520w Bronze EVO Edition power supply because the old one was making some unsettling sounds.

Here's what I was considering:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($47.99 @ Directron)
Case: Zalman Z3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $182.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-14 13:20 EST-0500

Yes, I know I'm planning on putting a mATX motherboard in an ATX case. That doesn't bother me.

Note that I only have $200 and that budget won't be increasing any time soon. I'd like it to be below $200. I live in the United States, currency is USD.

I was just wondering if this seemed like a good plan for now.

All advice is welcome.

-Darren

1 minute ago, weberdarren97 said:

Great build, but you should wait for the hyper threaded kaby lake pentium coming out soon

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

4 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Great build, but you should wait for the hyper threaded kaby lake pentium coming out soon

He legit just said don't mention Kaby lake in post

@weberdarren97

your build looks ok, but imho I would just save up for a nicer rig( like an i3) if there is anyway to do so

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

I'd wait for ryzen to come out because prices on cpus will likely go down at that point and you can then decide what's the best option for you. 

Looks ok, I'm sporting an G4400 and RX 460, runs Skyrim and Fallout 4 on High perfectly :) . Build Looks fine, make sure you have a power supply that atleast works.. I'm using an old one from my dell inspiron 570 until I get a new one.

1 hour ago, AceTaker said:

Looks ok, I'm sporting an G4400 and RX 460, runs Skyrim and Fallout 4 on High perfectly :) . Build Looks fine, make sure you have a power supply that atleast works.. I'm using an old one from my dell inspiron 570 until I get a new one.

Thanks for the info. I am planning on reusing my current Seasonic M12ii 520w Bronze EVO Edition that's in the Dell tower now. I put it in there because the OEM one was making strange noises like the fan was having bearing issues.

3 hours ago, weberdarren97 said:

Thanks for the info. I am planning on reusing my current Seasonic M12ii 520w Bronze EVO Edition that's in the Dell tower now. I put it in there because the OEM one was making strange noises like the fan was having bearing issues.

I ended up using less power because I went from a 95w Athlon to a 51w (Can't remember wattage of the top of my head) Pentium. I think the same went with my motherboard and graphics card. xD