Fan making a bad noise, removed it, will PC overheat?

SenorKiwi

Hey all,

One of my fans was making a really annoying and loud noise, so I unplugged it from the motherboard and that's fixed it.

I'm just wondering if my PC may get too hot now? I had 3 fans next to the motherboard, now 2. I'm not sure if it is sufficient.

Pictures attached in reply:

I would keep an eye on temps while you do intensive tasks and see if it starts to over heat. If it does it will start to feel slugish. If not then keep it on a light workload till you can buy another one

You should take a can of air to it more often. Once a month mabey. Other wise its just going to ruin your fans again.

1 minute ago, EmoChipmonk said:

I would keep an eye on temps while you do intensive tasks and see if it starts to over heat. If it does it will start to feel slugish. If not then keep it on a light workload till you can buy another one

mhm, okay, any recommendations on programs to keep an eye on temp? (also I only play CSGO at the moment, not too intensive, and mostly normal work in chrome etc so not too intensive)

It shouldn't overheat unless you really tourture it.If temps get too high than use that fan untill you get a new one

aida 64 extream should be fine. Just use the trial. But it should be fine  till you can buy a new one.

aida 64 extream should be fine. Just use the trial. But it should be fine  till you can buy a new one.

Yeah, I've never bought fans so I guess I'll have to look into that, and thank you - I'll check out the program. Also, I fortunately live in the UK so it is rarely warm, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Yeah, I've never bought fans so I guess I'll have to look into that, and thank you - I'll check out the program. Also, I fortunately live in the UK so it is rarely warm, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If you want a recommendation get a BE QUIET! pure wings 2. Its quiet and should be quite cheap. On ncix here its 13 canadian.

If you want a recommendation get a BE QUIET! pure wings 2. Its quiet and should be quite cheap. On ncix here its 13 canadian.

Yeah, I can see one for just £10 including P&P, pretty good! I'm not sure about dimensions though, are all fans the same dimensions or should I research that? (as well as all plugs included)?

It should say which one it is on the site. As for the one on your case. It should say on it. If not google your case and look up what the top fan mounts are.

Try adding a drop of oil to the fan, does wonders!

Excuse my broken keyboard

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

SSD - Samsung 970 M.2 500GB

HDD - WD Black 4TB

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

4 hours ago, EmoChipmonk said:

It should say which one it is on the site. As for the one on your case. It should say on it. If not google your case and look up what the top fan mounts are.

alright, I'll have a look, thank you!

4 hours ago, Petoovee said:

Try adding a drop of oil to the fan, does wonders!

not sure if this is a joke or not haha

Nono, really :P

Behind the sticker there's a rubber seal.

If you're going to throw it away then you might aswell eh.

Just dont add more than one puny drop, so it doesn't throw it around in your case.

Unscrewing it and starting it outside the case might even be best.

EDIT: http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

Excuse my broken keyboard

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

SSD - Samsung 970 M.2 500GB

HDD - WD Black 4TB

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

not sure if this is a joke or not haha

It might not be but that fans kinda asking to be put down. Its got so much caked on it its not funny. A replacment and a dusting of the case would happen sooner or later might as well do it now.

4 hours ago, EmoChipmonk said:

It might not be but that fans kinda asking to be put down. Its got so much caked on it its not funny. A replacment and a dusting of the case would happen sooner or later might as well do it now.

yeah, if i can work out how to get it out the case I'll try revive it, I've had it for 5 years so is quite old, and yes it has a lot of dust!

4 hours ago, Petoovee said:

Nono, really :P

Behind the sticker there's a rubber seal.

If you're going to throw it away then you might aswell eh.

Just dont add more than one puny drop, so it doesn't throw it around in your case.

Unscrewing it and starting it outside the case might even be best.

EDIT: http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

Yeah, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Unplugging that fan will have zero effect on temps.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

27 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Unplugging that fan will have zero effect on temps.

How come, is it because of the placement of the fan?

1 hour ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

How come, is it because of the placement of the fan?

No, its because fans don't make a difference after a certain point, as long as you've got 1 in and 1 out adding more will not make any difference and even that is case dependent, if your case is big enough then adding a fan might drop your case temp by 1c if your lucky but in my Define XL R2.0 I can literally turn all my case fans off and the case temp stays exactly the same.

Its because of the laws of thermodynamics and the fact that hot air will always try to normalise itself to the ambient temperature of the room so given enough space in your case any hot air coming from a hsf will be close to ambient temperature before it reaches the exhaust fans anyway. 

Honestly ambient room temperature is far more important to your case temperature than the amount of fans you have as a fan is simply pushing air around, fans have no cooling affect on the air passing through them.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

No, its because fans don't make a difference after a certain point, as long as you've got 1 in and 1 out adding more will not make any difference and even that is case dependent, if your case is big enough then adding a fan might drop your case temp by 1c if your lucky but in my Define XL R2.0 I can literally turn all my case fans off and the case temp stays exactly the same.

Its because of the laws of thermodynamics and the fact that hot air will always try to normalise itself to the ambient temperature of the room so given enough space in your case any hot air coming from a hsf will be close to ambient temperature before it reaches the exhaust fans anyway. 

Honestly ambient room temperature is far more important to your case temperature than the amount of fans you have as a fan is simply pushing air around, fans have no cooling affect on the air passing through them.

mhm, okay, thank you for your response. I'm not sure whether I Should bother trying to fix the fan now you say this, considering getting it out is going to be difficult as the screws are in a very odd shape.

4 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

mhm, okay, thank you for your response. I'm not sure whether I Should bother trying to fix the fan now you say this, considering getting it out is going to be difficult as the screws are in a very odd shape.

Entirely up to you.

True story, only last week I replaced the 2 fans connected to my radiator with high static pressure fans designed for water cooling rads and connected them both to a fan controller. Changing the fans had zero effect on my loop temperature (they are much quieter than the old fans though) and having the controller set to min, med or max also has zero effect on my loop temps so I basically spent £40 on fans for nothing.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Entirely up to you.

True story, only last week I replaced the 2 fans connected to my radiator with high static pressure fans designed for water cooling rads and connected them both to a fan controller. Changing the fans had zero effect on my loop temperature (they are much quieter than the old fans though) and having the controller set to min, med or max also has zero effect on my loop temps so I basically spent £40 on fans for nothing.

mhm... interesting!

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Entirely up to you.

Sound can be worth it though. Im buying a Silent base 800 or a Dark base pro 900 (among other upgrades i really need)  just because im tired of noisy fans. Originally iwas just going to get an NZXT S340.

Whats the point of fan on top of CPU heatsink? It looks really dusty and since its intake, I'd guess it doesn't have dustfilter. Also, how many front intake fans you have? I can't see any from the pics.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv