What air cooler should I use

Hey all,

I intend to overclock my system very soon, and as a result, want to purchase a beefy air cooler. I have a 6700k which I've been cooling with an intel stock cooler so far (i know, i know... burn me at the stake), but I obviously don't want this situation to remain this way.

My case is an Antec Six-Hundred V2 and has a 280mm fan on top and as a result, doesn't have the space for an AIO water cooling radiator meaning my only choice is an air cooler. Don't really have limits on my budget for it. Not interested in custom water cooling. Im using low-profile Corsair vengeance LPX RAM so it shouldn't be causing any clearance problem with the cooler and i'm running it all on an msi z170a gaming m5 motherboard.

What would you recommend ? I've been thinking of the Dark Rock Pro 3 but wanted to ask around before making a definite decision. Obviously the Noctua nh-d15 is the best cooler around but it is just.. so.. ugly. Got a black and red theme going out for most of my case so would like the air cooler to fit that general style. Also if I could get any help making sure the clearance for the front panel works fine ?

Thanks in advance!

Cryorig R1 (168,3mm tall) or H5 (160mm tall). Couldn't find any info about CPU tower clearance on Antec's site so you'll have to measure yourself.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Budget - unlimited (considering im fine with paying up to 160$ dollars and i don't believe there any air coolers more expensive than that)

I'll most likely be purchasing on amazon UK (based in the UK)

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704406&lan=uk That's my case, apparently it's got a width of 21 cm, and the dark rock pro 3 has a height of 17cm, but i still feel like it'd be too big. Do those measurements account for the motherboard etc ?

Also I quite like the look of the cryorig r1 but how does it compare to the dark rock in performance?

edit: nvm that last question, just saw this vid 

Things to pay attention to.

Ram Height, and cooler clearance (that lovely ram you brought might bump into the insane air cooler you brought)

Case compatibility (If the cooler is to large for your case, then you're stuck leaving the side panel off.)

Food for thought.. I busted my CPU waterblock so I put on my spare Cryorig H7 air cooler with 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans and ran a stress test. I did not change any of my voltages or clocks and everything was ran as if it was on my liquid cooling loop still. 6700k at 4.6ghz at 1.36v I would definitely Argue that the Cryorig H7 is an extremely amazing cooler. 

b359dac726dc9fb89f42e28530ce12b8.png

1e0ea965049f9a57bd5a728e5face141.png

5ZM0787.jpg

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

As i said, RAM clearance won't be a problem, but the side panel might very well be.

Site says my case has a width of 21 cm and both the Cryorig R1 and Dark Rock Pro 3 have heights of 17cm, which I would expect to be too big; but then again, when I was shopping for my motherboard most of the info ascertained that it would be too big for my case and in the end it was a tight fit but perfect. Guess I could just buy one of those and then just return it if it's too big?

PS: sidenote, but check out this beast jesus https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RR-V8VC-16PR-R2-Heatpipe-Chamber-x/dp/B0160WQGBI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1484228897&sr=8-18&keywords=cryorig+h7

On 1/12/2017 at 5:53 AM, Harold Jacques said:

As i said, RAM clearance won't be a problem, but the side panel might very well be.

Site says my case has a width of 21 cm and both the Cryorig R1 and Dark Rock Pro 3 have heights of 17cm, which I would expect to be too big; but then again, when I was shopping for my motherboard most of the info ascertained that it would be too big for my case and in the end it was a tight fit but perfect. Guess I could just buy one of those and then just return it if it's too big?

PS: sidenote, but check out this beast jesus https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RR-V8VC-16PR-R2-Heatpipe-Chamber-x/dp/B0160WQGBI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1484228897&sr=8-18&keywords=cryorig+h7

The V8 GTS is an old and loud cooler. There are better options for the price. 

I'm not sure how much clearance you have for a cooler so you should measure from the cpu socket to the side. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.