Difference between Molex & 4-pin

ACYah

Open it up and take a look?

Generally they'll come with a Molex + 3/4pin connector so you can choose.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Aren't you whom we built a computer for that insisted on using the K350 case? Hi! :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Open it up and take a look?

Generally they'll come with a Molex + 3/4pin connector so you can choose.

They look pretty similar tho and I can't tell the difference.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Aren't you whom we built a computer for that insisted on using the K350 case? Hi! :D

hahahahahahhahaha Hi!

Both things you linked are the same thing. The case fan can either have a molex connector, a small connector that goes into the motherboard, or both in some cases.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, ACYah said:

A molex shouldn't look similar to a 3/4 pin connector.. 3/4pins are about half the size of a molex.

3 pin > 4 pin > molex

Image result for 3 and 4 fan connector

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

20 minutes ago, ACYah said:

How can I tell if my case fan has a molex or 4 pin connector

http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=19310

or

http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=33098

It is the Cooler Master K350 stock case fan

Pretty sure both of those are sata to molex power.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

9 hours ago, ACYah said:

Well, they really, really don't. But that shouldn't matter. You can get adapters for molex->3pin and other way around. Or rather 2pin since molex doesn't have rpm sense (3rd pin) and definitely not 4th pin (PWM)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, RKRiley said:

A molex shouldn't look similar to a 3/4 pin connector.. 3/4pins are about half the size of a molex.

3 pin > 4 pin > molex

Image result for 3 and 4 fan connector

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well, they really, really don't. But that shouldn't matter. You can get adapters for molex->3pin and other way around. Or rather 2pin since molex doesn't have rpm sense (3rd pin) and definitely not 4th pin (PWM)

Look at the photos I attached. They look pretty similar.

IMG_7217.PNG

IMG_7218.PNG

5 minutes ago, ACYah said:

The two photos are for the same thing and neither are for fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, ACYah said:

Thats because they're the same thing.

They're meant for powering hard drives/ssd's/any sata device through a molex, for people who don't have enough sata connectors, nothing to do with fans.

2 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Thats because they're the same thing.

They're meant for powering hard drives/ssd's/any sata device through a molex, for people who don't have enough sata connectors, nothing to do with fans.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The two photos are for the same thing and neither are for fans.

So what could I use to power my fan. I have a female connector on the fan (white cable in attached photo) and my free cables from my PSU are the black ones.

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7221.JPG

IMG_7222.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

1 minute ago, ACYah said:

IMG_7222.JPG

Use this for your fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Use this for your fan.

Just from looking i don't think that'll work because of the plastic around, and between each pin on the molex's

Just now, RKRiley said:

Just from looking i don't think that'll work because of the plastic around each molex

5 minutes ago, ACYah said:

IMG_7219.JPG

You're looking at the wrong end of the connector. The psu cable goes into the other end.

b684d599bd664537a297da6d82464c4b.png

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

You're looking at the wrong end of the connector. The psu cable goes into the other end.

Ah yeah, I somehow forgot they have the two ends ;-; 
I'll blame it on it being nearly 2AM haha.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Mine only has 1 side.

1 hour ago, RKRiley said:

Ah yeah, I somehow forgot they have the two ends ;-; 
I'll blame it on it being nearly 2AM haha.

26 minutes ago, ACYah said:

Mine only has 1 side.

If that's the case, there should be more than one molex connector on the fan--the one you're looking at being the output and the other being the input. This is usually used to daisy chain fans.