Bootstrap and Grunt installation.

Go to solution Solved by mrchow19910319,
8 hours ago, AMTraxTGE said:

I am using bootstrap locally now... I thought I have to install all that to use bootstrap, turns out all I need was include some links in my html file, then it works...

I think that set it all up for a local workflow is too complicated for me... So.. Thanks for your input! 

I want to build up a basic local web developing workflow. As I am right now, just trying to install bootstrap.

At the bootstrap page I saw in order to use bootstrap, i need to do a few things. 

1. Install node.js.    (Done)
  2. Install Grunt.      
  1. Then, from the command line. Install grunt-cli globally with npm install -g grunt-cli .Navigate to the root /bootstrap/ directory, then run npm install. npm will look at the package.json file and automatically install the necessary local dependencies listed there.

I installed grunt-cli with no problem. But the next step I got stuck. 1st of all I where do I find this /bootstrap/  directory? People said it is the project folder I download from the official website. Okay. I downloaded it. Then when I try to install it on this folder (I navigated to this folder using terminal), it says error: 

WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/Users/zhouxiang/package.json

Do I need to manually create this package/json file?? Or ??? 

I am stuck. Help needed. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Haven't actually tried installing new packages with node, however, with composer, you could either manually write it or install packages via command line.

I'm guessing it should be something like "npm install bootstrap", but, search for it, this one might not be the one.

npm install is only run to update the packages in your project, like you updated the version of a package in your json file or you just downloaded the repo (in a git repository you don't upload the packages since the json file has everything you need to get them)

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ran the 

npm init

command in the folder you are working in? This initializes the project and creates the packages.json file.

I wish I knew how to stop breaking computers...

8 hours ago, AMTraxTGE said:

I am using bootstrap locally now... I thought I have to install all that to use bootstrap, turns out all I need was include some links in my html file, then it works...

I think that set it all up for a local workflow is too complicated for me... So.. Thanks for your input! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.