CAT 7 Cable not Recognized by Nighthawk R8000

Going from a Google Fiber Modem to my Netgear Nighthawk R8000, I have a 100ft CAT 7 cable. My R8000 does not recognize that anything is plugged into it. CAT 5 and 6 cables are recognized and my computer recognizes the CAT 7 cable just fine. Everything I've read online suggests CAT 7 cables should be compatible with even older CAT 5 ports. Suggestions?

You are well within the transmission distance for cat 7. Have you tested the cable to see that it's not faulty ?

Don't quote me. I've got a mate who lays internet lines. And he's had cable go faulty even if one of the wires inside inside that older cat gens dont use.

When I plug the CAT 7 from my modem straight into my computer it works perfectly.

16 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

Don't quote me. I've got a mate who lays internet lines. And he's had cable go faulty even if one of the wires inside inside that older cat gens dont use.

Haha! You have been quoted by the quotemaster! Take that!

Anyway, @ankybone Cat7 cables are actually not an FCC standard. They do not have to fit within any specification. Cat5, 5e, 6, and 6a cables have to fit within spec. There is no reason you need to use cat7. You only have gigabit. It's the same thing with hdmi cables. Silver conductors does not 'improve' quality. It's all digital. As long as the 1s and 0s can get from source to destination, there is no real difference. (This is way over simplified, but still applies.)

My native language is C++

Check the speed that your computer links at when connecting to the modem using the Cat7 line. If it says "100Mb" and/or "Half Duplex" then at least 1 of the wires in the cable is not connected, and your router may be less flexible about negotiating a link than the computer.

10 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Haha! You have been quoted by the quotemaster! Take that!

Anyway, @ankybone Cat7 cables are actually not an FCC standard. They do not have to fit within any specification. Cat5, 5e, 6, and 6a cables have to fit within spec. There is no reason you need to use cat7. You only have gigabit. It's the same thing with hdmi cables. Silver conductors does not 'improve' quality. It's all digital. As long as the 1s and 0s can get from source to destination, there is no real difference. (This is way over simplified, but still applies.)

While not recognized by the FCC, there is an international standard for Cat7 cables, and they do actually make a difference - when trying to link 10Gb at around/over 100m. That being said, many/most "Cat7" cables are actually cheap crap, barely capable of passing Cat5e ratings.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: