On Board vs Dedicated Graphics

Building a computer for my little brother. Budget is around $500ish CAD. I do have some spare parts sitting around but i'm mostly looking for some new stuff. The big thing i'm looking at now is going with a cheaper cpu with a graphics card (was thinking i3 6100 - GTX 1050. 

He doesn't play a lot of games mostly Minecraft.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Rough Draft said:

Building a computer for my little brother. Budget is around $500ish CAD. I do have some spare parts sitting around but i'm mostly looking for some new stuff. The big thing i'm looking at now is going with a cheaper cpu with a graphics card (was thinking i3 6100 - GTX 1050. 

Thoughts?

Minecraft is more cpu and ram intensive.... would easily run on onboard graphics. cpu is most important as it is the hardest to upgrade, new gpu can pop in later.

3 hours ago, Rough Draft said:

Thoughts?

It's a good combo. To be honest under that budget you can't goo much higher on CPU, even if you discard the GPU. And GPU is a nice touch to the system. Gaming wise, and of course it will help a little in CAD. 

Remember to buy dual channel RAM to take every possible advantage performance wise. 

CAD is some kind of bitch resource wise. Not every task is heavily multithreaded as one might expect from a professional workflow. Ofc, it will depend on your friend's needs. (An ssd would be awesome to, it's a whole different experience while dealing with medium to large files in CAD, even if it's only 120GB). 

CAD Benchmark

edit: fixed the link :P 

On 12/9/2016 at 2:34 AM, faziten said:

It's a good combo. To be honest under that budget you can't goo much higher on CPU, even if you discard the GPU. And GPU is a nice touch to the system. Gaming wise, and of course it will help a little in CAD. 

Remember to buy dual channel RAM to take every possible advantage performance wise. 

CAD is some kind of bitch resource wise. Not every task is heavily multithreaded as one might expect from a professional workflow. Ofc, it will depend on your friend's needs. (An ssd would be awesome to, it's a whole different experience while dealing with medium to large files in CAD, even if it's only 120GB). 

CAD Benchmark

edit: fixed the link :P 

When I said CAD I meant Canadian Dollar. He will only be using the computer for facebook games and minecraft / roblox

On 12/8/2016 at 11:30 PM, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Minecraft is more cpu and ram intensive.... would easily run on onboard graphics. cpu is most important as it is the hardest to upgrade, new gpu can pop in later.

Thats kinda what i was thinking, I could go with a cheaper i5 and upgrade with a gpu if he wants to start gaming later.