Will g-sync be noticeable/ worth it at 30ish fps?

HerEscutcheon

Trying to figure out if playing a game at around 30 fps will look any different on a g-sync monitor off a single gpu. From what I hear, it's meant for 60+ fps. Still trying to learn more about this new tech, apologies if a similar question has already been posted.

I thought it was to make lower frame rates still look smooth.

You have to experience it yourself from what I read/hear though to believe what it can do.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

This is exactly what G-Sync is for... instead of using the word exactly, you used the words around and about 30fps, meaning the game will render from maybe a range of 27-33 frames a second, and with G-Sync, it'll all look smooth without the tearing and stuttering regardless of the fluctuation.

This is exactly what G-Sync is for... instead of using the word exactly, you used the words around and about 30fps, meaning the game will render from maybe a range of 27-33 frames a second, and with G-Sync, it'll all look smooth without the tearing and stuttering regardless of the fluctuation.

Ooooh, so if it's playing at around say 40fps, then suddenly drops, you won't notice the change as much? It will just look smooth? This is EXACTLY what I need! I think this is the deciding factor for me between gtx 760 and 7970/rx-280x. I don't care about getting the most fps humanly possible, I just want a smooth gaming experience.

Ooooh, so if it's playing at around say 40fps, then suddenly drops, you won't notice the change as much? It will just look smooth? This is EXACTLY what I need! I think this is the deciding factor for me between gtx 760 and 7970/rx-280x. I don't care about getting the most fps humanly possible, I just want a smooth gaming experience.

somewhat. I just really want to see this thing in action. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to discern the difference between 60fps and 24fps with G-Sync enabled, so the question is how gradual will the change be and if it will effect game-play as much as a game without G-Sync.

somewhat. I just really want to see this thing in action. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to discern the difference between 60fps and 24fps with G-Sync enabled, so the question is how gradual will the change be and if it will effect game-play as much as a game without G-Sync.

What I'm thinking is using this along with limiting fps to 30. Normally frame limiting causes tearing, and I want to see if this eliminates that. I know it seems low to others, but a smooth, tearless, stutterless 24-30 fps would be perfect for me and my skyrim.

What I'm thinking is using this along with limiting fps to 30. Normally frame limiting causes tearing, and I want to see if this eliminates that. I know it seems low to others, but a smooth, tearless, stutterless 24-30 fps would be perfect for me and my skyrim.

Go for it! another thing to add since you're considering to go down to 24fps, if you do get a G-sync monitor, and limit it to just 24fps, it'll be just like watching a movie!

Go for it! another thing to add since you're considering to go down to 24fps, if you do get a G-sync monitor, and limit it to just 24fps, it'll be just like watching a movie!

That's the feel I'm going for. With the enb I have in mind, it will look like one, too.

This chart suggests G-Sync operates at 30Hz + : http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7436/GEFORCE-G-SYNC-Performance_Chart.jpg

I suggest watching this very informative video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhLYYYvFp9A

@0:40:40 he mentions that at below 30Hz the human eye will begin to notice flicker. So ideally you will need to be at 30fps +

May i ask why you would want to play Skyrim at 24fps? Don't you want to be higher than this? 

Essentially what G-Sync does is make the gameplay super smooth.

Games don't hold a constant frame-rate, you'll notice if you have fraps open the fps counter will jump around (vary); sometimes a lot - this is what creates tearing, stutter and lag.

G-Sync will vary the monitors refresh rate with the varying frame rate to ensure the transitions are butter smooth. 

This chart suggests G-Sync operates at 30Hz + : http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7436/GEFORCE-G-SYNC-Performance_Chart.jpg

I suggest watching this very informative video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhLYYYvFp9A

@0:40:40 he mentions that at below 30Hz the human eye will begin to notice flicker. So ideally you will need to be at 30fps +

May i ask why you would want to play Skyrim at 24fps? Don't you want to be higher than this? 

Essentially what G-Sync does is make the gameplay super smooth.

Games don't hold a constant frame-rate, you'll notice if you have fraps open the fps counter will jump around (vary); sometimes a lot - this is what creates tearing, stutter and lag.

G-Sync will vary the monitors refresh rate with the varying frame rate to ensure the transitions are butter smooth. 

It's not that I prefer lower fps to higher fps, I just simply want smooth consistency while gaming. I'd rather have a lower constant fps than a higher fps that dips to the point of being noticeable. My idea of frame limiting in conjunction with g-sync is to have a constant 30fps with no tearing whatsoever. However, the information you posted will have me replanning a bit. Perhaps a 760 can get away with a constant 40 or 45 fps on a modded Skyrim? Basically I want to limit the fps close to what it will never dip under. Thank you for the information. I'll watch that video later on.

With G-Sync there will be no need for "frame limits". Even a jump from 50-30 fps will appear smooth; no tearing, no stutter, no lag. There will be no need to worry about keeping a stable frame rate. You will get this smoothness you desire. I'm personally holding out for an IPS G-Sync monitor, I can't wait to experience it myself :)  

What card do you currently have?

What monitor do you have?  What resolution do you play at?

Ideally (without G-Sync) you would want a constant frame rate equal to the refresh rate of your monitor (e.g. for a 60Hz monitor you would want a constant 60 fps).

The problem as a mentioned above is that no game can keep a constant frame rate.

The best we have now is V-Sync. What this does is set the max fps limit equal to the refresh rate of your monitor. So if you have a good GPU constantly pushing 60 + fps, it will limit it to 60 fps and the game will run perfectly smoothly. Problems arise when the fps dips below 60fps (if it does) - this will create stutter and lag.   

By the way - when you say "frame limiting" are you talking about V-Sync? 

Yes definitely watch the video - I learned a lot myself. 

Regarding the 760:

Have a look at some modded Skrim benchmarks with a GTX 760. Here's one (they're using basic mods): http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/25/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-2gb-review/6

Have a look for others as well.

Sorry about the long posts. 

With G-Sync there will be no need for "frame limits". Even a jump from 50-30 fps will appear smooth; no tearing, no stutter, no lag. There will be no need to worry about keeping a stable frame rate. You will get this smoothness you desire. I'm personally holding out for an IPS G-Sync monitor, I can't wait to experience it myself :)  

What card do you currently have?

What monitor do you have?  What resolution do you play at?

Ideally (without G-Sync) you would want a constant frame rate equal to the refresh rate of your monitor (e.g. for a 60Hz monitor you would want a constant 60 fps).

The problem as a mentioned above is that no game can keep a constant frame rate.

The best we have now is V-Sync. What this does is set the max fps limit equal to the refresh rate of your monitor. So if you have a good GPU constantly pushing 60 + fps, it will limit it to 60 fps and the game will run perfectly smoothly. Problems arise when the fps dips below 60fps (if it does) - this will create stutter and lag.   

By the way - when you say "frame limiting" are you talking about V-Sync? 

Yes definitely watch the video - I learned a lot myself. 

Regarding the 760:

Have a look at some modded Skrim benchmarks with a GTX 760. Here's one (they're using basic mods): http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/25/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-2gb-review/6

Have a look for others as well.

Sorry about the long posts. 

I'm also going to be holding out for an IPS g-sync monitor, not a fan of TNs. Maybe a nice 27-30" screen...

Anywho, I guess it'll be something I'll have to mess around and check out myself about possible frame limiting or how it looks after a 20fps drop. It does sound awesome, and Linus seems pretty stoked about it, so there's that.

I currently have no PC of my own, as I donated it to my brother before I moved. Even then, it wasn't very impressive. I've been planning a new build for maybe a year now, and it keeps changing, but someday life will stop getting in the way and I'll go build it. Currently using my fiance's macbook, and not gaming.

The frame limiting I refer to is from nVidia Inspector. Which I guess has less input lag, but more tearing issues (for current monitors) than v-sync.

If v-sync only really has issues dipping under 60fps, then I can potentially try for a 780 instead, which has a nice new lower price tag. That would never dip under 60 fps even with the best enb and graphics and all the cheese wheels ever! But, then again, it's 40% more expensive. And then an FX-6300 might not cut the mustard, so I'd have to upgrade the cpu. And then the power needed will need an upgrade at psu... Yeah, a constant 60 fps is expensive and power-hungry. I'll just wait for g-sync to become more common.

I would be very pleased with a 60Hz IPS G-Sync monitor. Would be perfect. I'm more of a single player guy so I don't know if I would need the 120/144Hz at the moment. 

In saying that i've never tried it so I don't know how it feels..It could be amazing. 

As soon as I heard the details about G-Sync, I was extremely glad I went Kepler went it came out (when I got into hardware) instead of AMD or the 500 series. I'd probably become an Nvidia fan if monitor prices with G-Sync aren't crazy high.

It will help things look smooth reguarless of what frame rate

I thought there was word on possible adapter (to me this seems unlikely but I did read of it.