ML 120/140 LED Brightness Question

HungryHamster

Hey everyone,

Why is my Corsair ML 140 changing brightness depending on how fast I have it running? Is there a way to change this so it's always at maximum brightness, but not at maximum speed?

I knew this was an issue with the older SP and AF models, but I read in a review that the ML fans "are powered by a constant 12 V (under PWM control, anyway) and so will not change brightness with fan speed control." 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you have the fan connected to a pwm port? Sounds like the fan is using voltage control. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

8 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Do you have the fan connected to a pwm port? Sounds like the fan is using voltage control. 

Yes, I think so. It's connected to the one that's circled in red in the center middle in this picture:

http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/5/7580_06_asus-maximus-viii-formula-intel-z170-motherboard-review_full.jpg

I did some reading on my mobo and it says "all fan headers are PWM or DC mode and can be configured in the UEFI or through Windows." So maybe I have to switch it from DC to PWM in the bios or something? I'm not sure if that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

So maybe I have to switch it from DC to PWM in the bios or something? I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Yes, switching between pwm and voltage control is a uefi feature. It should be set to pwm as default however. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown